Thai government defends foreign land ownership plan

webfact

I remember there was a similar (masters degree) qualification required for the thai working holiday visa. I don't remember the exact wording.

A chef qualification from tafe sufficed for that. 

Wonder if i could pull that off again.

Thais don't know what TAFE is.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I think in some quarters they are very worried about the Chinese and to a certain extent the Indians finding loop holes and unscrupulous officials to take advantage of this.

There is already the company route. Not really a loop hole as grey, as it wasn't designed for that but many do anyway. So it cant be for that reason, as many do already, there are plenty in here alone.

My speculation (worth 1/2 a tuppence)  is its a slippery slope thing, introduce it, show the xenophobes that not many people will to do it anyway with those onerous rules ( aside from the truly dedicated, especially with difficulties in getting residency.  Eventually they will  then relax the rules a little (!?) so the rich can sell development blocks to wealthy foreigners.  I also don't understand why they use USD and not THB but that's a separate issue.

2 minutes ago, BumGun said:

There is already the company route. Not really a loop hole as grey, as it wasn't designed for that but many do anyway. So it cant be for that reason, as many do already, there are plenty in here alone.

My speculation (worth 1/2 a tuppence)  is its a slippery slope thing, introduce it, show the xenophobes that not many people will to do it anyway with those onerous rules ( aside from the truly dedicated, especially with difficulties in getting residency.  Eventually they will  then relax the rules a little (!?) so the rich can sell development blocks to wealthy foreigners.  I also don't understand why they use USD and not THB but that's a separate issue.

Possibly. I think generally they dont pull up the company route as the ship has somewhat sailed on it. I think even the company route its mostly small scale, low investment individuals not in prime desirable locations (for the most part).

I think if it started being used by large conglomerates to buy land it would be looked at quickly. In fact i think most large conglomerates are not going to try that route anyway due to the inherent risk with it, questionable legality and their lawyers for the most part would advise against it.  Of course you would get the odd risk adverse one who would go down that route, probably Chinese who would set up a questionable JV with local people, but i think its fairly rare.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If they wanted a major economic boom and greatly increased property appreciation,  they would open it to everyone with no restrictions.

Yes, but they don't - the Thai Elite want to keep their condominium prices artificially high...

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Pheu Thai Party warned that the foreign ownership of land will have extensive implications for the Thai people,

Pheu Thai Party ... no comment . They should read the text and the limitations to foreign ownership as proposed by the government first ...

Ridicolous .

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Pareena. who was earlier this year deprived by court of her MP status and banned for life from politics due to deliberate encroachment upon a forest reserve in Ratchaburi, posted a message saying that people do not want to exchange land in Thailand for foreign investment.

Wow , she should better keep her mouth closed . Convicted of encroachment herself , she has proven to be a greedy person who does not respect the law .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning,

What a Big joke !! For 1 Rai of land !! 

Im American ???????? And Thai Nationals can freely buy as much land as they want ???? That’s why they call it The Land of the Free !! Sounds a little xenophobic Thailand when you say we are not selling Thailand off to Foreigners !! 
Apparently your ok allowing Chinese Government  to infiltrate Thailand, Be careful with that or soon you will be fully owned by the Chinese Government !! 

The leaders are already owned and controlled

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In the future, the party said that Thai people will have to pay more to buy land, because this policy of allowing foreigners to buy land in Thailand will lead to speculation.

Land speculation is already rampant in Thailand. I see it all the time. "Investor" buys land while it's cheap, splits it up into smaller plots and then raises the price 2x. Adds no value to the economy and makes life difficult for poor and middle class people. Why don't they just make this illegal first and foremost?

• Like 1