Honda Steed and the Green Book

Noris

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea how I can get a green book for my beloved Honda, Steed 400.

I have had this bike now for the last 12 years, I have tried several times to get a Green book through a Big Bike shop and paid a lot of money but still no green book.

So I have parked it up in Isan for the last few years and with me returning to Thailand soon I would dearly like to get it legally registered.

What is the easiest way to get this done and is it possible?

Cheers for any advice.

If it's a bike commonally known as a grey bike that was bought with only papers and has never had a green book is not really worth the effort.

Last time i enquired about my CB400SF in Bangkok 10 years ago or more it was going to cost approximately 51,000 baht that's if it passed an inspection and then there were going to be other costs involved. 

1 hour ago, Noris said:

I have tried several times to get a Green book through a Big Bike shop and paid a lot of money but still no green book.

I don't see how they could do such a thing unless the bike was new you should get your money back from them or report them to Honda head office in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't see how they could do such a thing unless the bike was new you should get your money back from them or report them to Honda head office in Bangkok.

... this happened years ago, so ... .

6 minutes ago, papa al said:

... this happened years ago, so ... .

So,  bike with invoices is a grey import no difference today apart from the fact years ago it was OK. 

Today however bike confiscated and destroyed.

Brown envelope donation locally are still available depending where you live. ????

If the local cops knows of an existence of an 'invoice' bike these days they know that's a good target for extortion

They could take the bike away if it's found on the road, or you could payup... with no guarantee of when they'll be coming next time

Thankfully the Steed is pretty low on the radar compared to hot ticket bikes like Yamaha SR

The cost of getting documents required to be able to register it legally is probably cost more than a clean one with green books are going for,

you could get one of the bikes for sale with green book and proper history and 'donate' the new bike's plate and vin to your bike if you're really sentimental about keeping it, 

Not sure if they do auction for seized bikes at this value, but if it's auctioned off by customs, the buyer can legally register the bike

12 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Not sure if they do auction for seized bikes at this value, but if it's auctioned off by customs, the buyer can legally register the bike

Do you know this for a fact or are you on hearsay from whoever. 

2 hours ago, papa al said:

you should get your money back from them or report them to Honda head office in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, Noris said:

I have tried several times to get a Green book through a Big Bike shop and paid a lot of money but still no green book.

So  Honda BKK going to help.?

Nein.!

• Haha 1

A bit late I know... But,.... Did you get this bike from the Dealer and received the run around for a while before giving up....

.... Or... did you buy this bike privately knowing it did not have a green book and figured you’d be able to sort that out later, then hit the bricks-walls ?

Possible options: Finding a registered but beaten up old one, or a crashed one...  and then switch across the VIN numbers. 

If I’m not mistaken, motorcycles here have both a chassis VIN and Engine VIN... 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit late I know... But,.... Did you get this bike from the Dealer and received the run around for a while before giving up....

.... Or... did you buy this bike privately knowing it did not have a green book and figured you’d be able to sort that out later, then hit the bricks-walls ?

Possible options: Finding a registered but beaten up old one, or a crashed one...  and then switch across the VIN numbers. 

If I’m not mistaken, motorcycles here have both a chassis VIN and Engine VIN... 

Good call if OP wants to keep the bike, TiT a few ducks and dives hey pressto. ????

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Do you know this for a fact or are you on hearsay from whoever. 

big auction by the customs house in Bangkok every year, usual bikes are Harleys, the ones that couldn't be registered are not put on the lot until customs sort it out with the land transport department, one of the way to 'launder' imported vehicle

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Honda has nothing to do with the importation and selling of this bike in Thailand, why should they care?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Honda has nothing to do with the importation and selling of this bike in Thailand, why should they care?

If they were charging OP for getting a green and he didn't get one and they are a big wing honda dealer they should be reported. 

30 minutes ago, papa al said:

If grandma had wheels

she'd be a truck.

Well if OP doesn't bother doing anything changing the tr to F and added ed is what OP will be. 

OP hasn't come back but my advice would be just ride it around locally but hire or buy something legal to tour Thailand.

Edited by Kwasaki