Tourist arrivals in Thailand surge 43% to 3.1 million in October

snoop1130

12 hours ago, BritScot said:

I must be far poorer than I thought as nearly £6,000 +++ for my family of 2 adults and 2 children was a price my wife wouldn't pay and she is desperate to see her family. We are travelling in March at 1/2 that and even £3,600 and that's far more than it used to be. 

So I think the answer is NO!

There seems to be more cheaper flights from LON-BKK at the moment .

Was about 1000 GBP a month ago and now there are some 600 GBP flights available , I thought maybe some more flights have been added 

49 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Was about 1000 GBP a month ago and now there are some 600 GBP flights available , I thought maybe some more flights have been added 

On Thai from LHR it's about £800 until mid December then up to a £1000+

RAZZ

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Stick with the figures at TAT.

You have a lot to learn about Thailand. 

I agree.  They use the same counting methodology year after year for international visitor arrivals so you get an accurate snapshot of how one year is doing vs. previous years.  2019 was almost 40 million.  2021 was less than 500,000.  It's true that 'visitors' can be tourists, business people, workers, short and long term foreign residents, etc.--but that's the case for the statistics for every year.  It's pretty easy to see that 2019 was great and 2021 was dismal.  2022 will fall somewhere between the two.

Other statistics break the numbers down by regions and countries.  It's often posted on the Forum that western visitors to Thailand were way down even before covid.  That's a perception that's simply not true.  Of the countries with visitor numbers large enough to be tracked, only Australia and Singapore had very slight drops in numbers, pre-covid.

I don't put any stock in this or that tourism bureaucrat making predictions on tourist numbers but I think the official published statistics by TAT are the best data we have regarding visitor numbers.  I always use the example that I don't think they 'cook the books' because they show an embarrassing drop in visitor numbers in 2014, the year of the military coup.  They could have easily fudged the numbers that year to curry favor, but they didn't.  Ditto for the tiny 430,000 visitors in 2021, which doesn't exactly make TAT look good in their efforts to attract international visitors.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thanks for that. How long are the layovers? We are flying from Edinburgh/Glasgow.

22 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems about twice the price from Scotland .

Have a look on Skyscanner and other flight websites

We are already booked for end of March 23. Family of 4 from Edinburgh £3,600 includes pickup and hotel bkk 2 nights. We can live with that.