Open UK Bank account from Thailand

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No UK bank will open new accounts remotely, particularly for residents of Thailand, don't waste your time trying to find one that does.

Never seen any banking docs that say "particularly for residents of Thailand"  in over 30+ years of working in banking. ????

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gabe H Coud said:

Er, probably yes I'll look into it. I had the card from when still in UK. Hopefully now I'm not they will still treat with me for a current account 

If your Halifax CC has a UK address for you it should be no problem. I initially opened a Halifax CC, with a UK address a few years back and subsequently opened a bank account with them. I then changed my address to Thailand with no problem. Only issue is that Halifax will not send new cards to Thailand. Easy option is to just keep your UK address on record. 

5 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Ah my bad 

If they accept you they will send you a secure key thing like a small caculater for use with the computer or mobile phone connection when going on-Iine

They are available on a phone number they give to people abroad. 

1 hour ago, Pmbkk said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No UK bank will open new accounts remotely, particularly for residents of Thailand, don't waste your time trying to find one that does.

Never seen any banking docs that say "particularly for residents of Thailand"  in over 30+ years of working in banking.

I said that, I did not write that the UK banks' documents said that. 

It is a fact, though that Lloyds International in the IOM will not open new accounts for residents of Thailand.  I started working in banking, in LLoyds, in 1969 and never saw it written down, either, but I do know LBI's policy.

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If they accept you they will send you a secure key thing like a small caculater for use with the computer or mobile phone connection when going on-Iine

They are available on a phone number they give to people abroad. 

I set up a First Direct bank account a few years back with a UK address. Then changed to my Thai address / Thai mobile with no problem. I migrated from using their calculator login gizmo a couple of years back to a Digital Secure Key. Use this both for their App and online access. Works fine but I seem to recall having to call them to assist with the setup process.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, PPGuy said:

If your Halifax CC has a UK address for you it should be no problem. I initially opened a Halifax CC, with a UK address a few years back and subsequently opened a bank account with them. I then changed my address to Thailand with no problem. Only issue is that Halifax will not send new cards to Thailand. Easy option is to just keep your UK address on record. 

That's useful to know many thanks. 

But just to clarify, the key point is did you open the current account whilst in Thailand (or anywhere outside UK/EU)?

Or just moved to Thailand afterwards and changed your address? 

I think there's a distinct difference 

4 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

That's useful to know many thanks. 

But just to clarify, the key point is did you open the current account whilst in Thailand (or anywhere outside UK/EU)?

Or just moved to Thailand afterwards and changed your address? 

I think there's a distinct difference 

I opened the current account whilst I was living in Thailand. I used a family member address in UK in the setup process (also have UK driving licence with same address, which helped with initial verification requirement - for that I had to visit a UK branch during a rare trip to UK).

Once opened I changed my address details to my long term Thai address. That was about 5 years back, so requirements may have changed since then.

As I noted, having a Thai address does impact on receiving new cards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

I set up a First Direct bank account a few years back with a UK address. Then changed to my Thai address / Thai mobile with no problem. I migrated from using their calculator login gizmo a couple of years back to a Digital Secure Key. Use this both for their App and online access. Works fine but I seem to recall having to call them to assist with the setup process.

Unfortunately I'm not good with phone app stuff,  i keep messing up on the mobile keyboard.

I only look site with computer and don't really ring them up at all, mostly just talk to the robot. ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

I opened the current account whilst I was living in Thailand. I used a family member address in UK in the setup process (also have UK driving licence with same address, which helped with initial verification requirement - for that I had to visit a UK branch during a rare trip to UK).

Once opened I changed my address details to my long term Thai address. That was about 5 years back, so requirements may have changed since then.

As I noted, having a Thai address does impact on receiving new cards. 

"which helped with initial verification requirement - for that I had to visit a UK branch during a rare trip to UK)."

Sorry im confused, you said you opened it from Thailand but then state you had to be in the UK

As im sure you'll appreciate im trying to open a Halifax current account FROM Thailand without setting foot in the UK

please clarify, thanks

Side note- wouldnt you just know it, my UK Driving Licence expires in 2 days! And of course that can only be renewed in UK in person. Hope thats not an issue, surely some bank customers dont drive!

1 hour ago, Gabe H Coud said:

"which helped with initial verification requirement - for that I had to visit a UK branch during a rare trip to UK)."

Sorry im confused, you said you opened it from Thailand but then state you had to be in the UK

As im sure you'll appreciate im trying to open a Halifax current account FROM Thailand without setting foot in the UK

please clarify, thanks

Side note- wouldnt you just know it, my UK Driving Licence expires in 2 days! And of course that can only be renewed in UK in person. Hope thats not an issue, surely some bank customers dont drive!

As I noted, I am living in Thailand and applied for the CC account from here. The CC verification process needed me to visit any UK Halifax branch with proof of ID (passport) and address (UK licence).

Once I had the CC account I then applied for a bank account with same UK address - I was back in Thailand by that time. No further verification needed at this point. I was able to open the bank account based on the previous verification for the CC account.

If you already have a CC account with Halifax, with UK address, I would expect you could also set up a current account with them based on same address info, even if you are in Thailand (as I did). Your expiring UK licence may not be a problem as you will already have a history with them.

Of course, their checking process may have changed in the meantime.

Give it a go.   

2 hours ago, PPGuy said:

As I noted, I am living in Thailand and applied for the CC account from here. The CC verification process needed me to visit any UK Halifax branch with proof of ID (passport) and address (UK licence).

Once I had the CC account I then applied for a bank account with same UK address - I was back in Thailand by that time. No further verification needed at this point. I was able to open the bank account based on the previous verification for the CC account.

If you already have a CC account with Halifax, with UK address, I would expect you could also set up a current account with them based on same address info, even if you are in Thailand (as I did). Your expiring UK licence may not be a problem as you will already have a history with them.

Of course, their checking process may have changed in the meantime.

Give it a go.   

Understood, thanks and will do ????

12 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Crikey! I swear I've seen several posts on the net saying it can only be done in UK 

Obviously I'll give it a go 

Thanks 

I have also renewed my UK DL 3 times, online from here,  but it will be delivered to your UK address, not to an overseas address. Same as for a UK Passport renewal.  You can use the online service okay from here,  but  you have to send in your old passport and the new one will go to your UK address. Not practical, but doable.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Crikey! I swear I've seen several posts on the net saying it can only be done in UK 

Obviously I'll give it a go 

Thanks 

Did mine yesterday, posted to UK address. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I have also renewed my UK DL 3 times, online from here,  but it will be delivered to your UK address, not to an overseas address. Same as for a UK Passport renewal.  You can use the online service okay from here,  but  you have to send in your old passport and the new one will go to your UK address. Not practical, but doable.  

Absolutely doable, no issues with that , thanks

Anyway back on topic re Banks(but thanks for info on Driv lic)

Huge apologies to PPGuy..... I shouldve checked first(my bad) but the reviews for Halifax are truly awful, only fractionally better than Santander but still well into the 'bad' category

Starling and First Direct come out well on Trust Pilot

will check out Monzo

If anyone has used the the UK switching service from here in Thailand please advise feedback

thanks

On 11/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, Kwasaki said:

I think you need to be a resident of UK and have a UK address.

I have an online UK bank but I was a long term customer and they let me keep the account in my Thai address.

Me too. They call it 'grandfathering', and is welcome.

I did have to fill some forms and get it all countersigned by a Thai lawyer a few years ago when they tightened things up, and I didn't receive the original forms because the local postman was burning the mail as actually delivering it was an inconvenience to him. By sheer luck I received the final warning, called them and they were very helpful.

Opening a new account from Thailand though, or probably anywhere that isn't the UK, has not been allowed for many years, as far as I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I opened a Starling account in the UK a couple of years ago while I was overseas. Then I opened one for my husband this year while we were in Thailand. It was a bit trickier last time because I couldn't download the app directly. I had to use a VPN I think, or APK pure, something like that, to download it. But aside from that, it was very easy. I needed a UK address to receive the debit card. 

Starling's customer service has been excellent. Far better than the Co-op or HSBC, which we also use. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Me too. They call it 'grandfathering', and is welcome.

I did have to fill some forms and get it all countersigned by a Thai lawyer a few years ago when they tightened things up, and I didn't receive the original forms because the local postman was burning the mail as actually delivering it was an inconvenience to him. By sheer luck I received the final warning, called them and they were very helpful.

Opening a new account from Thailand though, or probably anywhere that isn't the UK, has not been allowed for many years, as far as I know.

Joined First Direct when they first started and since 2005 when i came to live in Thailand they have been good for me,  there was no problem telling them my address now is in Thailand. 

The only problem i have is the new debit card which they have changed from Visa to MasterCard won't work on WISE,  the Visa credit card works but cost more to use. 

So i have set up a account with WISE to pay from my 1st account, so all good. 

5 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

my UK Driving Licence expires in 2 days! And of course that can only be renewed in UK in person

I did mine last year, 100% online, uses your passport picture, it arrived at my chosen UK address in less than a week.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Side note- wouldnt you just know it, my UK Driving Licence expires in 2 days! And of course that can only be renewed in UK in person.

I renewed mine online from Thailand at the start of the year. Provided you're under 70 you can have them use the photo in your current passport. My brother posted the licence out to me. All done in two weeks.

Back on subject I have a Monzo account that just needed passport and utility bill, I used my council tax bill. No issues with using the app or debit card in Thailand.

Edited by Stocky

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Joined First Direct when they first started and since 2005 when i came to live in Thailand they have been good for me,  there was no problem telling them my address now is in Thailand. 

The only problem i have is the new debit card which they have changed from Visa to MasterCard won't work on WISE,  the Visa credit card works but cost more to use. 

So i have set up a account with WISE to pay from my 1st account, so all good. 

I've got a Barclay's Visa card from when I banked with them in the 70s. Now I don't but the card is independent of that. I have to have a UK address and they won't send my card to me in Thailand because of the country's reputation (see my previous post!!) but my sister sends new ones on to me.

But the funny thing is, they let me use a Thai address for transactions such as booking with Agoda. Another oddity is that years ago they sent me a letter saying they were closing the account unless I supplied a UK address (so I set up my sister's) but when I called them they had no knowledge of the letter. All very odd and hardly confidence-inspiring.

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've got a Barclay's Visa card from when I banked with them in the 70s. Now I don't but the card is independent of that. I have to have a UK address and they won't send my card to me in Thailand because of the country's reputation (see my previous post!!) but my sister sends new ones on to me.

But the funny thing is, they let me use a Thai address for transactions such as booking with Agoda. Another oddity is that years ago they sent me a letter saying they were closing the account unless I supplied a UK address (so I set up my sister's) but when I called them they had no knowledge of the letter. All very odd and hardly confidence-inspiring.

Barclay's didn't help me at all when going Thailand so I dumped them,  Nationwide were ok but they got a bit funny about sending me a credit card to Thailand.

I made the decision one UK bank will do and I have had no bother with FD or problem with credit cards. 

As long as WIDE stays around my MasterCard  debitcard is redundant. ????

May be an international agent can help. Contact them and ask for their fees. I have no clue. They helped my friend get a Antigua and Barbuda passport and then a Thailand Elite stamp on it before he even step foot in Thailand. His goal was to hide from patent trolls and 5 million USD.  My friend is in this forum but he hardly visit it.

https://www.sableinternational.com/

Edited by Onerak

23 minutes ago, Onerak said:

May be an international agent can help. Contact them and ask for their fees. I have no clue. They helped my friend get a Antigua and Barbuda passport and then a Thailand Elite stamp on it before he even step foot in Thailand. His goal was to hide from patent trolls and 5 million USD.  My friend is in this forum but he hardly visit it.

https://www.sableinternational.com/

An agent has no greater standing with a UK bank than any individual.

The answer  is no for a conventional bank .........try WISE.

• Like 1