Switching from Non-Imm-B (working visa) to tourist

Hi guys, my work permit will expire in December and I won't extend it, but I'd like to stay a few months (approx. 4) longer.

What's the best way to do this ... can I just extend the visa at Immigration, or would I have to leave the country (ideally just to a neighbor country) to re-enter, or what's the recommended procedure in such a case?

thanks for any insight!

pepe

I assume you are on extension of stay issued by immigration. You would need to cancel it before leaving the country.

There is no extension you could apply for unless you can qualify for another category of extension.

If you qualify for a visa exempt entry you could do a border hop to get a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Where are you located now.

you have extension because of your work..

you need a termination letter from the work and take it to the immigration. the date on the termination letter is your last day staying in thailand. then they will give you 24 hours to leave the country. In some cases you can pay 1900 and make it another 7 days, not sure if still can.

you cannot change your visa in the country to TR type. you need to leave and come back.

7 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

you need a termination letter from the work and take it to the immigration. the date on the termination letter is your last day staying in thailand. then they will give you 24 hours to leave the country. In some cases you can pay 1900 and make it another 7 days, not sure if still can.

There is no 24 hours to leave if you go to immigration on the termination date. You would have to leave before midnight to avoid a overstay.

Immigration will do the cancelation a few days before the termination date and the will postdate the cancelation to the day on the letter.

1 hour ago, pepi2005 said:

What's the best way to do this ... can I just extend the visa at Immigration, or would I have to leave the country (ideally just to a neighbor country) to re-enter, or what's the recommended procedure in such a case

As already explained...you will need to exit Thailand and reenter to extend your stay. 

Luckily visa exempt entry is currently 45 days till March 31.

Exit in December you have time for two visa exempt entries via land. 

Each one you can obtain 30 day extension.

So you can easily stay extra 4 months up.

Where are you located in Thailand?

Chonburi ... so I can't get a 3-month tourist visa from within TH I suppose....
Have to leave Thailand, re-enter, get 1 month, extend 1 month, leave again, and do the same for another time? Yea, that would give me 4 month until late March ????

37 minutes ago, pepi2005 said:

Chonburi ... so I can't get a 3-month tourist visa from within TH I suppose....
Have to leave Thailand, re-enter, get 1 month, extend 1 month, leave again, and do the same for another time? Yea, that would give me 4 month until late March ????

Until March 31st you will get a 45 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Two would give you more than 4 months.

Most people in Chonburi do the border run to Ban Pakard to cross over to Cambodia. There are companies doing the runs to there from Pattaya.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 24 hours to leave if you go to immigration on the termination date. You would have to leave before midnight to avoid a overstay.

Immigration will do the cancelation a few days before the termination date and the will postdate the cancelation to the day on the letter.

Ohh then it changed since i did. Good to know it. +1 to immigration. In my time it was 24 hours and the same day..