Motorbike Mechanics.

NoshowJones

With Honda agents, are some of their mechanics only qualified to work on bikes up to about 150cc or what?

The back tyre on my Forza has a slow puncture, but it seems it needs a new tyre. I live in a small town with only a Honda and Yamaha agent.

The agent sent me to a local motorbike company, they just waved their hands at me saying "no no".

I had to take my bike to another Honda agent in the next town 15Ks away to get it attended to. They have ordered me a new tyre.

Why did my local agent not order the tyre? I can only think that they are not qualified to work on bigger bikes.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

With Honda agents, are some of their mechanics only qualified to work on bikes up to about 150cc or what?

The back tyre on my Forza has a slow puncture, but it seems it needs a new tyre. I live in a small town with only a Honda and Yamaha agent.

The agent sent me to a local motorbike company, they just waved their hands at me saying "no no".

I had to take my bike to another Honda agent in the next town 15Ks away to get it attended to. They have ordered me a new tyre.

Why did my local agent not order the tyre? I can only think that they are not qualified to work on bigger bikes.

Because they don't have the machine to get the rubber off/on the rim, because usually people don't go to Honda dealers to change tires, this is why even the Honda dealer in the next town who might have such a machine had to order the tire for you. Usually there are shops that specialize in changing tires, they have the machine as well as tires in stock.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Because they don't have the machine to get the rubber off/on the rim, because usually people don't go to Honda dealers to change tires, this is why even the Honda dealer in the next town who might have such a machine had to order the tire for you. Usually there are shops that specialize in changing tires, they have the machine as well as tires in stock.

Thanks a lot. That was very helpful, but it means now I could run into problems if I was out on one of my road trips and needed a tyre I could hit problems.

How do other people on a bigger bike cope with this on road trips? I have had this bike for 7 years now, 46000Ks and this is the first time I have needed a new tyre because of some sort of damage.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

They might be but they are a bitch to get off unless workshop has a powered tire changer. 

A powered tyre changer is exactly what they use for tubeless tyres in the big Honda dealer near me.  But they do not have a tyre balancing machine which I find odd as some of the Hondas sitting in their showroom come with wheels balanced from the factory.

11 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

A powered tyre changer is exactly what they use for tubeless tyres in the big Honda dealer near me.  But they do not have a tyre balancing machine which I find odd as some of the Hondas sitting in their showroom come with wheels balanced from the factory.

Look on Utube how to balance motorbike wheels yourself, i can't be bothered to explain. 

Also little wheels on scooters don't necessarily need balancing when a new tyre is fitted. 

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks a lot. That was very helpful, but it means now I could run into problems if I was out on one of my road trips and needed a tyre I could hit problems.

How do other people on a bigger bike cope with this on road trips? I have had this bike for 7 years now, 46000Ks and this is the first time I have needed a new tyre because of some sort of damage.

I carry a can which blows up the the tyre and seals any punctures with in reason which can get you home. 

Or you can buy puncture repair kits but you need strong lungs to blow the tyre up after repairing it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Look on Utube how to balance motorbike wheels yourself, i can't be bothered to explain. 

Also little wheels on scooters don't necessarily need balancing when a new tyre is fitted. 

I know how to balance motorcycle wheels myself I am just surprised that a big Honda dealer does not have specific equipment to do this.  I was actually thinking of bikes such as the CBR250RR when I made my comment about balancing wheels.  That is billed as a high performance bike and costs something like a quarter of a million.  There is one sitting in the big Honda dealer near me but they do not have the ability to fit tyres and balance them in the same way as the factory.  As an aside billing the current 250RR as a high performance bike is to my mind a bit suspect when you compare it to what Honda was producing back in the 1990s.

Edited by In the jungle

22 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I know how to balance motorcycle wheels myself I am just surprised that a big Honda dealer does not have specific equipment to do this.  I was actually thinking of bikes such as the CBR250RR when I made my comment about balancing wheels.  That is billed as a high performance bike and costs something like a quarter of a million.  There is one sitting in the big Honda dealer near me but they do not have the ability to fit tyres and balance them in the same way as the factory.  As an aside billing the current 250RR as a high performance bike is to my mind a bit suspect when you compare it to what Honda was producing back in the 1990s.

I got my new tyres for my CBR900RR in Bangkok they balanced them up only because of the speed the bike is capable of. 

Cbr250 can balance yourself easy enough no problem. 

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I got my new tyres for my CBR900RR in Bangkok they balanced them up only because of the speed the bike is capable of. 

Cbr250 can balance yourself easy enough no problem. 

I have an NC30 and when I need new radials I put the wheels in the back of the truck and get the tyres supplied and fitted in Bangkok.  I can't remember the name of the area but not far from Hualumpong.

My point about balancing tyres is that if a dealer sells you a bike new with balanced tyres they should be capable of doing the same process when it needs replacement tyres. 

18 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I have an NC30 and when I need new radials I put the wheels in the back of the truck and get the tyres supplied and fitted in Bangkok.  I can't remember the name of the area but not far from Hualumpong.

My point about balancing tyres is that if a dealer sells you a bike new with balanced tyres they should be capable of doing the same process when it needs replacement tyres. 

Yeah fair call,  when it comes to big bikes it's important not scoots that people are calling big bikes. 

25 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

The VFR750R (RC30) and the 400 is a blast and an icon as well, like my Blade it has nothing on it that an experienced rider needs it is perfection.

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The VFR750R (RC30) and the 400 is a blast and an icon as well, like my Blade it has nothing on it that an experienced rider needs it is perfection.

Agreed.  I think about the only areas where the NC30 falls down by modern standards are brakes and the fact that in my view ECU plus injection is better than carbs.

I have never ridden a blade but I would love to.  Especially fond of the first gen because to my eyes that is how a sports bike should look.  And super light by comparison with its contemporary competitors. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Agreed.  I think about the only areas where the NC30 falls down by modern standards are brakes and the fact that in my view ECU plus injection is better than carbs.

I have never ridden a blade but I would love to.  Especially fond of the first gen because to my eyes that is how a sports bike should look.  And super light by comparison with its contemporary competitors. 

I would only disagee with you on carbs over Fi and that's because i can fix my carbs as a mechanic that i use to be and not a "with the want of of better not so nice words" a computer spanner. ????????

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Does the Forza use tubeless tyres?

Many Thai bike shops do not have the equipment necessary to fit tubeless tyres. 

My local Honda dealership cannot fit tubeless tyres but the one in the provincial capital 25km away can fit them.

Wife daughter runs a Fino ,they have tubless tyres ,she got a puncture ,local shop as above could not fix it ,and just took it to a  local car puncture/ tyre fitting shop .she said it cost her 200 baht,that hurt . 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Wife daughter runs a Fino ,they have tubless tyres ,she got a puncture ,local shop as above could not fix it ,and just took it to a  local car puncture/ tyre fitting shop .she said it cost her 200 baht,that hurt . 

Puncture on my truck was 100 baht locally, shoot them. ????

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would only disagee with you on carbs over Fi and that's because i can fix my carbs as a mechanic that i use to be and not a "with the want of of better not so nice words" a computer spanner. ????????

I can service carbs too but on the NC30 it is a days work.  That is a pain.  If I used the bike more it would probably be much less of a problem.

13 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I don't know why but the average village bike shop freaks out when they see a car style tyre valve and they don't want to touch it.

Just now, In the jungle said:

I can service carbs too but on the NC30 it is a days work.  That is a pain.  If I used the bike more it would probably be much less of a problem.

Yes as a mechanic sounds to me not using the the bike regularly you should drain the carbs when the bike is not used for long periods.

I start up my blade every 2 weeks if i don't ride it no problem.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes as a mechanic sounds to me not using the the bike regularly you should drain the carbs when the bike is not used for long periods.

I start up my blade every 2 weeks if i don't ride it no problem.

I ride the NC30 probably a couple of times a year.  Draining the carbs would be a good idea but to do that I would need to remove a whole bunch of bodywork and it is all genuine 30 year old plastics by Honda.  Brittle as hell.

Carbs can be serviced by pulling the tank off but that can be done without removing most of the plastics.

• Love It 1