What it costs to live in Thailand, on a budget ?

Social Media

9 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Spot on about the pub. That was when there were a lot more open! Guys I used to work with would drink up to five pints at lunch time and then go in again after work. Weekends involved some serious drinking! 

Never got the daily pub/bar thing.   Give me a 6 pack, doobie, and a bench outdoors.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

No highjack, on topic, cost of, how to stretch, invest for the long game, or pay as you go.

Our solar system is on the high end of pricing, since installed, and with better components, hopefully.

Don't expect any oops for 10-20 yrs, hopefully, though won't be around if any.  Our ROI should be in the 5-8 yr range, probably the latter, but all good in that aspect.

Depending on your monthly usage & bill now.  Some guys have a system, supplements or almost carries them through the whole month. 5kWh tie in systems are not expensive.  It's the ESSs, batteries, that add to the cost, (185k for ours) if wanting to be off grid, unofficially.  We're still conx, but don't need the grid.

EV & solar just compliments each other and adds to the value of both.

But it does depend on your finances, lifestyle, age, possible ROI or not.  If out of the house all day, then solar wouldn't be much use, or a more expensive system, and impractical, or very long ROI.

I've been here for a while, retired/home all day, and wife is younger, so a no brainer for me.   If just arriving, and 65 ish years old, then no, unless planning of living 20 more years, or have someone to leave it to.   

Simply rent something or buy a comfy condo & enjoy.  

Couple mill for a house, 1 mill for a car, goes a long way to one's monthly budget if not needing or wanting either.   Many places a car isn't even needed, and probably our biggest monthly expense, especially if ICE, considering buy in, petrol & maintenance over the life of the vehicle.  Definitely a luxury item, if not needed for out & about or local getting around.  Plenty of inexpensive options also, if just knockin' around town.

We really don't need a car, it's just a convenience, as everything is <5 kms away.

If single, I could easily live very minimalistic.  All personal choice, and plenty of here.

ENJOY

Thanks for reply, actually I have been reading you for a while  on this topic,  thanks for sharing. Have to say so now that I have started posting.

My plan for  solar is to install as many panels as possible in places where that are optimally efficient. I will not plan to go "off grid". What I'd like is to cover most of the consumption during daylight and  maybe get a backup pack for one or two hours. This would save about half my electricity bill and cover over 90% of the blackouts which here are mostly due to planned day time maintenance or last less than one hour when caused by lightning, wind, etc.

Now, I couldn't agree more that an EV should come into the picture. Right now I am running two ICEs a CRV and a Jazz, both ICE. The plan will be to replace the Jazz by an EV and keep the CRV for longer trips. Nice way to go hybrid isn't? I have never like the Hybrid cars as I see them as  overly complex, and Emperor Joseph told Amadeus: "too many notes".

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I spend around 100,000 baht a month on average, but I do live a good lifestyle, with wine being one of my major purchases!!!!!

jesus, that's a lot!

how much of that would you say is the wine alone?

if we blindfolded you, would you be able to tell the difference between a 10,000 baht bottle of wine and a 1,000 baht bottle?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

jesus, that's a lot!

how much of that would you say is the wine alone?

if we blindfolded you, would you be able to tell the difference between a 10,000 baht bottle of wine and a 1,000 baht bottle?

I probably spend about 25,000 baht a month on wine and port, although it used to be quite a bit more until I cut back a wee bit.

I've been studying, collecting and drinking wine now for 50 years and I can tell the difference between a poor bottle and a good bottle, and I only drink red wine anyway, including port (Portuguese of course).

I do store my wine in a temperature controlled wine fridge which holds up to about 30 bottles plus, however I don't decant them although I do let them breathe before I pour them, and I do prefer wines with a little bottle age

To cover the points in the following post, I do try and match the food with the wine, however I have moved to the wines with a bit more body these days, like for example an Appasimento from Apulia, and I do like a good Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz from Australia, and just recently I discovered an absolutely wonderful wine from California, the like of which I have not experienced before, which totally surprised me.

Always open to try new wines and I once discovered a great wine from Bulgaria, as well as one from the Lebanon, so I have an open mind with regards to wine, but I know what I like......and always red! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I do try and match the food with the wine

I don't believe there is such thing as matching food with wine. I believe that is pretentious nonsense that was completely fabricated. I believe any wine goes with any food. 

Some people believe in God, other's not so much. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No highjack, on topic, cost of, how to stretch, invest for the long game, or pay as you go.

Our solar system is on the high end of pricing, since installed, and with better components, hopefully.

Don't expect any oops for 10-20 yrs, hopefully, though won't be around if any.  Our ROI should be in the 5-8 yr range, probably the latter, but all good in that aspect.

Depending on your monthly usage & bill now.  Some guys have a system, supplements or almost carries them through the whole month. 5kWh tie in systems are not expensive.  It's the ESSs, batteries, that add to the cost, (185k for ours) if wanting to be off grid, unofficially.  We're still conx, but don't need the grid.

EV & solar just compliments each other and adds to the value of both.

But it does depend on your finances, lifestyle, age, possible ROI or not.  If out of the house all day, then solar wouldn't be much use, or a more expensive system, and impractical, or very long ROI.

I've been here for a while, retired/home all day, and wife is younger, so a no brainer for me.   If just arriving, and 65 ish years old, then no, unless planning of living 20 more years, or have someone to leave it to.   

Simply rent something or buy a comfy condo & enjoy.  

Couple mill for a house, 1 mill for a car, goes a long way to one's monthly budget if not needing or wanting either.   Many places a car isn't even needed, and probably our biggest monthly expense, especially if ICE, considering buy in, petrol & maintenance over the life of the vehicle.  Definitely a luxury item, if not needed for out & about or local getting around.  Plenty of inexpensive options also, if just knockin' around town.

We really don't need a car, it's just a convenience, as everything is <5 kms away.

If single, I could easily live very minimalistic.  All personal choice, and plenty of here.

ENJOY

Interesting and thinking about expanding my solar system at the house.  It isn't too complicated but at the same time I do run into a few challenges while installing.  Thinking I should get someone with more experience to help.  I can barely use a hammer but easily setup 3x160(6000 bht) watt on the roof with 200 AH lifePo4 battery(12,000 bht) and inverter.  Figure for the 450,000 you spent I could power the village.  

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A 10 yr old with a 3000 baht allowance ????

18 yr old with 5400 ... if not in Uni or going to, needs to get a job, and be self sufficient.

My daughter in between HS and Uni, lived with us, and even got a job, knowing she didn't have to, but didn't want 'our' money.  I didn't raise her that way.   You want - you earn.  Didn't think she'd take it that serious ????  Got to love her.

She know she didn't have to, and I'd support her for those few month, but she wouldn't have it.

My oldest worked 2 months while on holiday between M6 and University too. They do chores and save a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Chiang Mai is very nice in general but horrible during the burning season.

That's very true, but i'm used to living in the UK, so 8 months of unbearably cold, dark and wet Vs 2 months of smog is an easy decision to make.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

11 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Interesting and thinking about expanding my solar system at the house.  It isn't too complicated but at the same time I do run into a few challenges while installing.  Thinking I should get someone with more experience to help.  I can barely use a hammer but easily setup 3x160(6000 bht) watt on the roof with 200 AH lifePo4 battery(12,000 bht) and inverter.  Figure for the 450,000 you spent I could power the village.  

Yes, there's days when it produced shy of 50kWh, and could easily power 2 neighbors.   In that aspect, it's mind boggling how MEA/PEA, won't work with home owners with solar systems.  That's a lot of energy going to waste, as we don't export any more, since having a digital meter.

Exported 8 days total I think, during our first 2 weeks, and during rainy season, best production day while doing was 49kWh, and on a krappy day, as the peaks & valley show:

image.png.5c47d6f4e9b8035a5e607a0cf4753daa.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's very true, but i'm used to living in the UK, so 8 months of unbearably cold, dark and wet Vs 2 months of smog is an easy decision to make.

Two months is optimistic and it is bad throughout the year if you live within 2 kilometers of the moat Think you live outside the city center so probably not an issue.  I would rather shave a couple years off my life breathing bad air than living in the UK.

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

I probably spend about 25,000 baht a month on wine and port, although it used to be quite a bit more until I cut back a wee bit.

Thinking back on that figure, it is probably more like 20,000 baht a month on wine these days, but then again with the tax that the Thai government put on wine, along with rising production costs worldwide, that could well increase in time to come.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, save the frogs said:

yeah, the shape of the glass. ha ha. 

go adopt a stray cat instead of wasting money on ridiculously over-priced over-hyped wine. 

So, why are wine glasses different shapes? Through a number of testings and experiments, experts have found that the shape of the glass has the ability to concentrate the wine's aroma, further intensifying the varietal characteristics.

And as for stray cats, well I try to kill them whenever I can – – they are indiscriminate killers of wildlife and need to be eradicated.

• Sad 3
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

must be in yorkshire somewhere aye its grim up north

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

10C and heavy rain at the moment. Can't wait to get back to Thailand.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, still kicking said:

So, you are a MasterChef judge? You know a lot about wine, do you? Better keep eating your frog legs but make sure you enjoy a nice glass of white wine 

yeah so i can only enjoy frogs legs with white wine.

because it is so decreed by your snobby culinary elites.

what a joke. 

i don't eat frogs legs .... the frog population is dwindling.