Police warn of Loy Krathong phishing scams

webfact

image.jpeg

The current Loy Krathong Festival is giving rise to phishing scams that trick people into giving out personal information on-line, warned anti-cybercrime police.

They said fake websites have been created to invite people to float krathong on-line.   Tonight marks the full-moon day of the 12th lunar month during which Thais celebrate the Loy Krathong Festival by floating vessels known as krathong which contains flowers, candles and incense sticks in rivers or canals.

In recent years, authorities have encouraged Thais to celebrate the occasion on-line instead to reduce water pollution.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/police-warn-of-loy-krathong-phishing-scams/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Online Krathong to get the full illusion of joining in?

Nothing like doing it in real life with a biodegradable Krathong like we did yesterday.

FB_IMG_1667908773734.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nothing like doing it in real life with a biodegradable Krathong like we did yesterday.

FB_IMG_1667908773734.jpg

Looks almost edible.

I walked around the inside of my local temple yesterday which has a 10 day market to coincide with the festival.

Hundreds of vendors selling junk fast food, and the rest Chinese cheap clothing..

talk about rubbish.

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Online Krathong to get the full illusion of joining in?

Wow.  I didn't read that line properly and assumed it was because of covid.

Online is obviously no substitute for the real thing.  Better to make it compulsory to use edible/degradable krathongs.

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Looks almost edible.

I walked around the inside of my local temple yesterday which has a 10 day market to coincide with the festival.

Hundreds of vendors selling junk fast food, and the rest Chinese cheap clothing..

talk about rubbish.

Yes we were feeding the Phish....pun intended. The road in front of Khao Tao Lake was packed when we walked through to launch our Krathong, and yes tons of vendors selling everything from fake watches to overly sweet deserts.  Lots of Foreigners. We returned home to avoid the tussle and bustle as the evening wore on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes we were feeding the Phish....pun intended. The road in front of Khao Tao Lake was packed when we walked through to launch our Krathong, and yes tons of vendors selling everything from fake watches to overly sweet deserts.  Lots of Foreigners. We returned home to avoid the tussle and bustle as the evening wore on.

Luckily no tourists here in their droves... only me 

Did see three, looked like elderly Americans [no offence meant] being shown around by a Thai male guide... 

I'm sure they were on a trip out from Bangkok and paying dearly for the trip..

Used to be popular day out before Covid..

Guess it's starting up again..

[phra Pathom chedi temple] if you wanted to google a pic.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, BangkokReady said:

Wow.  I didn't read that line properly and assumed it was because of covid.

Online is obviously no substitute for the real thing.  Better to make it compulsory to use edible/degradable krathongs.

loi Krathong on line ..what next songkran on line .sit and throw water at your phone.. online everything eh 

• Thumbs Up 1