good news on statins... less AMD

3NUMBAS

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/08/statins-may-prevent-people-losing-eyesight-later-life/

Statins may prevent people from losing eyesight in later life

Scientists also found people prescribed diabetes drugs, such as insulin and anti-inflammatories, had lower risk of developing the condition

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor 8 November 2022 • 6:00am

Statins and other drugs which lower cholesterol may also prevent people from losing their eyesight in later life, scientists have found.

Experts, led by a team from University Hospital Bonn in Germany, examined 14 studies involving almost 40,000 people from the UK, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal and Russia.

They found that people taking statins were 15 per cent less likely to go on to develop age-related macular degeneration (AMD).

Similarly, they found that people prescribed type 2 diabetes drugs - such as insulin and anti-inflammatories - also had a 22 per cent lower risk of AMD.

• Like 1

OK, this is in line with what three cardiologists in two countries have told me.  I think they were close to believing that statins should be put into the drinking water.  At the time, I thought they'd simply enjoyed too many expensive vacations from the pharma companies.  But, Hubby and I continue to dutifully take our statins.  

I must admit, I tried Niacin first, endured the hot flashes side effects and found it didn't do much good.  Fortunately, it was during a Michigan winter, so the hot flashes were welcome.

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, NancyL said:

OK, this is in line with what three cardiologists in two countries have told me.  I think they were close to believing that statins should be put into the drinking water.  At the time, I thought they'd simply enjoyed too many expensive vacations from the pharma companies.  But, Hubby and I continue to dutifully take our statins.  

I must admit, I tried Niacin first, endured the hot flashes side effects and found it didn't do much good.  Fortunately, it was during a Michigan winter, so the hot flashes were welcome.

I just watched a video on youtube from Dr. Eric Berg entitled "The #1 Best Remedy to Prevent a Heart Attck for $3.19. Here is the link >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0kS26BA5BY. I would like to try niacin. I read that if you also take Aspirin every day it would reduce flushing.

Are there any other members who have experience with niacin 500 mg?

Yes, was taking it/niacin for a while.  Not a good mix with Thai sunshine, as Vit D helps with the absorption.  Would take the niacin, and not much problem in the house.   Then when taking dog for morning walk at park, the skin flashes would occur.   Rather annoying, and can lessen it, when it happens, with lots of water intake.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, was taking it/niacin for a while.  Not a good mix with Thai sunshine, as Vit D helps with the absorption.  Would take the niacin, and not much problem in the house.   Then when taking dog for morning walk at park, the skin flashes would occur.   Rather annoying, and can lessen it, when it happens, with lots of water intake.

Usually recommended to take niacin just before bed, so that you (hopefully) sleep through the flush. Also should be sure it is a sustained release formulation which usually causes less of this.