Is Thailand a better place to live then in western countries

kingstonkid

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At least that's something I can say that I did accomplish, having nursed thousands of patients during my time in that job. Know lots of other nurses too. Unless, of course, helping people get better isn't worthwhile.

Made me think during the worst of Covid. If I was a nurse and told that 'we have very little stocks of PPE and what we have isn't good' what would I do? Risk my life so that the NHS accountants can get promotion for cost saving? Or, do what all but one (female) doctor did in Aden and scarper?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you still tip even if it's poor service? Strange thing to do, but I guess that's the US for you.

That's one thing I could do without is the tip culture.  Had some Chinese waiter literally yell at us and demand a tip when his service and attitude was absolute rubbish.  The entitlement of some restaurant workers in the US never ceases to amaze me.  

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Makoshark said:

Just came back to the USA for my daughters wedding and can't wait to return to BKK.  THe people in the USA are more %$#@*& up than before.  63 days but who's counting ????

When I went back home for a visit it was nice to catch up with old friends, but that was the only thing I liked about it. Too cold, too expensive, too over regulated, and too violent. Never feel safe here, which is something I never worried about in LOS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I enjoy living here for 7 years now…. It’s a good place living in the countryside..NE

It is. I like the absence of roaming gangs of muggers, thugs and vandals. Things do get stolen but the neighbours and police instantly seem to know whodunnit!

1 hour ago, HuskerDo2 said:

There have to be SOME negatives. Have you lived in the city anywhere in LOS? Please expand on your comment. I'm curious. Thanks DJ. 

I live in pathum Thani and can tell you that it is definitely easier lifestyle than in Ontario.

The only thing I miss is hockey and not the pro leagues.  Have a few friends but zoom and fb keep us in contact.

1 hour ago, HuskerDo2 said:

There have to be SOME negatives.

2 for me. I moved to Meuang Ubon Rachathani in June. There is so much road construction that I started calling the place U-Turn Ratchathani.

And then the floods hit in late SEP/OCT making it difficult or even impossible to go just about anywhere including the (new) family homestead in one of the outer Amphur Districts.

ubon flood.png

9 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Unlike some (many?) of you gents, I have no son or daughter in US from a previous marriage (or marriages) as I never had a marriage before just last year at age 70 here in Thailand.

Any next trip back to US will be if/when I have be in person for financial/legal issues that cannot be done via notary at US Embassy-Bangkok.

So I am now here in Thailand with a new marriage, new house with 25 meter salt swimming pool less than 200 meters from my door, and other delights that would certainly not be available to me stateside.

I would agree with all of that, multiple reasons to either stay or go.

Medical health reasons is a huge one for many, I think we read way too often on here about some poor sop suffered accident, heart attack, fill in the blanks and has no, or not enough insurance and the ubiquitous GoFundme account is set up.

But for a lot of us kids are huge draw.

I have two daughters from a previous marriage, and my Thai son who all live in the US. Eldest daughter and son in Denver, youngest daughter in San Diego

They are all in their mid 20-30's, and first Grandchild will be born next month.

Regardless of all the other things that drew us back to the US, not sure I could, at this stage in my life, not be a couple of hours flying time from my first Grandkid. And Momma and our son. Well being apart was never gonna happen!

Never underestimate the power of kith, kin and blood

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I would agree with all of that, multiple reasons to either stay or go.

Medical health reasons is a huge one for many, I think we read way too often on here about some poor sop suffered accident, heart attack, fill in the blanks and has no, or not enough insurance and the ubiquitous GoFundme account is set up.

But for a lot of us kids are huge draw.

I have two daughters from a previous marriage, and my Thai son who all live in the US. Eldest daughter and son in Denver, youngest daughter in San Diego

They are all in their mid 20-30's, and first Grandchild will be born next month.

Regardless of all the other things that drew us back to the US, not sure I could, at this stage in my life, not be a couple of hours flying time from my first Grandkid. And Momma and our son. Well being apart was never gonna happen!

Never underestimate the power of kith, kin and blood

Brought a tear to my eye, truly. Good on you Sir!

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, kingstonkid said:

Just wondering with all the.<deleted> going on in the rest of the world is it just me or does life here seem saner.

No for my wife & I

We do love it here & have a home in the country that we are at now for our 3 months. But No it is far from saner.

Then again we live in a nice spot when not in Thailand & we do not get all riled up about politics etc. In fact we don't watch TV although do have Netflix etc

But yes when here we also spend time in Chiang Mai where we lived for 6 years previously & to take care of business like passport renewal etc.

While there we really notice how insane it is here. Traffic,crazy drivers, sanitation lacking,road conditions,air quality

Many things really & again we do love it but no it is nowhere near sane in any way. Other countries had real support during the whole covid mess & things like that were in reality small & look at how Thailand (lack of leadership as always) handled that?

Imagine something much larger & how would that go ..especially for foreigners

So yeah No vote from us ????  We love it & always will return but never again to live full time.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, worgeordie said:

Happy here , just cannot imagine what life is like in the UK now,

have not been back for 35 years ......if I did , possible culture shock ..

regards worgeordie

same here x pat of over 30 years the thought of going back to UK would give me nightmares..I'm here for the long haul even with all its negatives..I look at the positives..cup half full eh !!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:27 AM, mania said:

No for my wife & I

We do love it here & have a home in the country that we are at now for our 3 months. But No it is far from saner.

Then again we live in a nice spot when not in Thailand & we do not get all riled up about politics etc. In fact we don't watch TV although do have Netflix etc

But yes when here we also spend time in Chiang Mai where we lived for 6 years previously & to take care of business like passport renewal etc.

While there we really notice how insane it is here. Traffic,crazy drivers, sanitation lacking,road conditions,air quality

Many things really & again we do love it but no it is nowhere near sane in any way. Other countries had real support during the whole covid mess & things like that were in reality small & look at how Thailand (lack of leadership as always) handled that?

Imagine something much larger & how would that go ..especially for foreigners

So yeah No vote from us ????  We love it & always will return but never again to live full time.

I think thats a concept that many of the diehards can't grasp.

I love Thailand, yet I can recognize the faults, but I don't hate it yet equally it's not for us full time anymore.

For some of the true zealots you're either  'All In' or you're a Hater

Thats the point where I always think 'Thou protests too much'

I often wonder if those who slam any of us that like to spilt our experience, yet can objectively criticize the glaring faults in Thailand are themselves not conflicted.

To quote George Smiley " The fanatic is always harboring secret doubts"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Perhaps it those who have adapted well, those that understand nowhere is perfect, but get irked by people trying to turn insignificant downsides into major dramas to support their choices 

I understand people can have connections to Thailand and some other place or places. What irks me is when the feel the need to say, as they often do:

And I get the best of BOTH worlds.

Edited by jerrymahoney