Thais abroad warned not to buy fresh fruit to bring home

snoop1130

Globally, things vary quite a bit from country to country, and it also can depend on where you departed from, so it is not quite as straightforward as some posters are suggesting. For example, you can bring most fruit and veg but not meat and dairy products into the EU. You can basically bring anything into the UK if it originates from an EU/EEA state. Fruit and veg can be brought in from non-EU/ EEA countries but not meat and dairy. I guess that the moral of this story is: Check before you leave.

We arrived at Suvarnabhumi from Turkey yesterday with about 2kg of grapes. Didn't even consider that we might get stopped and there was nothing before boarding or in flight to suggest that importing fruit was banned in Thailand and as it happens, we passed through without a problem. (Grapes were excellent. However, I guess that I should implement my own advice in future!????)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

but some people don't like to learn new things as I found out growing up down under. the only things some people take seriously are the lineup of their footy team and which is faster, a V8 Commy or a V8 Falcon

Well you learned a lot, did'nt you! ????

11 hours ago, digger70 said:

What about all the fruit that get exported out of Los , Do you really think that that Fruit/Veg is Bug/Poison free . that's why it get tested ,same with meat  when it arrives at the foreign country  and Refused /Returned if not up to that countries standard.

In my work we have imported food stuffs from Thailand, and other Asian countries. About 5 years back, half our Thai products were banned by customs sanitary checks.  The frozen prawns / tiger prawns were a problem too. Those we had to buy elsewhere and still do. Not EU standard.

9 hours ago, digger70 said:

What about all the fruit that get exported out of Los , Do you really think that that Fruit/Veg is Bug/Poison free . that's why it get tested ,same with meat  when it arrives at the foreign country  and Refused /Returned if not up to that countries standard.

Have a Thai friend who exports mangos to Japan, has done for 20 years. She's extremely careful that nobody ever sprays any form of chemicals near her mango trees, and the mangos are packaged exactly as dictated by the Japanese importer and not one tiny mark or discoloration. She personally monitors/supervises packaging. Fullly tested and inspected on arrival in Japan. She gets paid a premium for best faultless quality but any issues and loss of contract very likely. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I bet 90% or more of the fruit was eaten by a Thai person associated with the airport! Especially those Japanese melons ???? 

Definitely, must be quite a delight to work there and have a daily accessible supply of japanese melons, korean/japanese strawberries and those other fruits that are 100x better than anything produced here. 

The strawberries here that come close are those imports that cost 2000+ THB for a box.

Edited by FarangFB

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

Have a Thai friend who exports mangos to Japan, has done for 20 years. She's extremely careful that nobody ever sprays any form of chemicals near her mango trees, and the mangos are packaged exactly as dictated by the Japanese importer and not one tiny mark or discoloration. She personally monitors/supervises packaging. Fullly tested and inspected on arrival in Japan. She gets paid a premium for best faultless quality but any issues and loss of contract very likely. 

That's great well done, but how many Don't do the right thing.

18 hours ago, geisha said:

In my work we have imported food stuffs from Thailand, and other Asian countries. About 5 years back, half our Thai products were banned by customs sanitary checks.  The frozen prawns / tiger prawns were a problem too. Those we had to buy elsewhere and still do. Not EU standard.

Yes I remember that a few yrs ago their was a big stink about that the seafood from Thailand wasn't EU standard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, ikke1959 said:

too healthy food, same as e cigarettes danger for your health, whats is next?? alcohol is already restricted

hope they have better luck keeping out unwanted food better than they keep out unwanted criminals..just sayin