Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There has been a huge rise in utility costs and that would have effected the companies profit margin and would have been one of the reasons why they failed .

That is common sense and quite obvious really and its a fact , rather than speculation 

This company would have gone bust as a result of a drop in demand for their goods and/or increased costs/ reduced profit margins associated with Brexit.

Like your scenario, the fact that this is speculation "... is common sense and quite obvious really".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, puchooay said:

But I've been asking those spreading doom and gloom to confirm the future.

Seems no body can. As I have suggested many times.

It's a truism to say that no one can predict the future but, ss I've said before, it's a lazy argument.

What's the alternative? Instead of basing decisions on data-driven probabilistic models, we instead disregard these projections and put our trust in blind faith and hope for the best?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RayC said:

This company would have gone bust as a result of a drop in demand for their goods and/or increased costs/ reduced profit margins associated with Brexit.

Like your scenario, the fact that this is speculation "... is common sense and quite obvious really".

Oh really .

You are saying that the Ukraine war and Covid had nothing to do with this companies closure and this Company would have remained open had it just been for Ukraine and Covid and Brexit is the only reason why this company closed down ?

Thank you for backing up my previous claims 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

What's the alternative? Instead of basing decisions on data-driven probabilistic models, we instead disregard these projections and put our trust in blind faith and hope for the best?

Not at all. But, at the same time, don't assume things are going to stay as they are just because one does not agree with decisions that have been made.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Oh really .

You are saying that the Ukraine war and Covid had nothing to do with this companies closure and this Company would have remained open had it just been for Ukraine and Covid and Brexit is the only reason why this company closed down ?

Thank you for backing up my previous claims 

You asked me previously not to call you a liar. I can't refrain from doing so while you consistently continue to misrepresent my position and post lies.

I was replying to your misplaced attempt to patronise me - by your use of "common sense", "obvious" - by pointing out that a scenario could equally be built whereby this company might have gone gone bust as a result of Brexit. I explicitly stated that this was not a fact. It would be speculation. I did not claim that this was the reason for this particular company going bust.

Indeed, in a post almost immediately before it, I quoted the article where it stated that the war, Covid and Brexit were contributary factors in this particular instance.

There are many Brexiters on this board. Imo most find it hard to accept the weight of evidence that Brexit was a bad idea. However, I can't think of any other poster who consistently misrepresents others views and resorts to "untruths" (better?) as consistently and regularly as you. I assume that this must be deliberate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Oh I see, you are saying that is just speculation and isn't necessarily  correct .

I follow now .

You should have put it in quotation marks, to show you was quoting someone else

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

And now please read and understand this with his other posts. 

I must say I don't have high hopes for your comprehension.

It would help if he used quotation marks to denote he was quoting someone else and that it wasn't his opinion, but someone else's .

He seems to have used random quotation marks in the last sentence and not used quotation marks in the paragraph he was quoting (where they should be). 

Rather confusing 

24 minutes ago, RayC said:

I have no idea and, frankly, no further interest in trying to comprehend what you are talking about. 

I guess that the lesson I should take from this exchange is, don't give people the benefit of the doubt in terms of their sincerity: Call out a troll at the first opportunity.

Use quotation  marks in the right place in future , so that it is clear you are quoting someone else .As you didn't use quotation marks, I thought that it was you writing it yourself and that led to confusion on my part . 

It not me being insincere or trolling , I just didn't realise you were quoting someone else

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Use quotation  marks in the right place in future , so that it is clear you are quoting someone else .As you didn't use quotation marks, I thought that it was you writing it yourself and that led to confusion on my part . 

It not me being insincere or trolling , I just didn't realise you were quoting someone else

That's the value of links and reading them. It is normally obvious which sentences are the poster's thoughts and which are quotes from an article. Reading the link will erase any doubt.

There is no forum rule demanding quote marks. In my case, I tend to make my own comment followed by a blank line, then a quote and then the link. Pretty standard I would think. I don't always follow that format but mostly. Again reading the links removes all doubt. If you aren't prepared to read links then you should ask yourself why you're participating in the discussion.

These are general observations and not necessarily directed at you. The onus is on the reader to ascertain though context whether a comment is from the author or a linked article. Lack of a link makes this determination impossible.

For mine, I will always reads links unless they are from an unapproved source, in which case I never read them.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

That's the value of links and reading them. It is normally obvious which sentences are the poster's thoughts and which are quotes from an article. Reading the link will erase any doubt.

There is no forum rule demanding quote marks. In my case, I tend to make my own comment followed by a blank line, then a quote and then the link. Pretty standard I would think. I don't always follow that format but mostly. Again reading the links removes all doubt. If you aren't prepared to read links then you should ask yourself why you're participating in the discussion.

These are general observations and not necessarily directed at you. The onus is on the reader to ascertain though context whether a comment is from the author or a linked article. Lack of a link makes this determination impossible.

For mine, I will always reads links unless they are from an unapproved source, in which case I never read them.

If you would have looked above , (just need to scroll up) , you would have seen that there was no link in the post that I replied yo , just a paragraph with no quotation marks and no links , there was nothing to show it was a copy and paste . 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you would have looked above , (just need to scroll up) , you would have seen that there was no link in the post that I replied yo , just a paragraph with no quotation marks and no links , there was nothing to show it was a copy and paste . 

And I did say my comments were not directed at you but general comments on links. I'm trying to encourage you (and others) to use links more often. It's not like you're squeakly clean. Or me, quite frankly.

cheers.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

And I did say my comments were not directed at you but general comments on links. I'm trying to encourage you (and others) to use links more often. It's not like you're squeakly clean. Or me, quite frankly.

cheers.

Just me. but I would prefer it if people just gave their knowledge or opinion or what they think, without have to give a link .

Like, I don't have a link to show that mobile medics visited my house last week 

• Thumbs Up 1

it's ironic that a big reason that we voted for Brexit was to get back control, but we are far more dominated by US ideas/culture than EU - Boris dared to challenge the dominant western (i.e. USA) narrative with Brexit, weakly challenged it with C*VID but supported the rest of it being in the vanguard with Ukraine.

Liz T made a pitiful attempt to challenge it again, and with Rishi we are back to "normal" and doing what we're told. Sadly, Europe is in the same boat as UK, but they seem to be trying things in the background (they don't want to upset USA either).

inflation is more a result of the free giveaway during 2020/21, and escalating gas/electric more due to sanctions than the actual fighting.

abysmal leadership! (and little chance that Starmer will do very much different)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do elaborate :

What are the USA ideas/cultures that dominate the UK ?

i would put it simply as protecting USA dominance in the world, but specifically globalisation

you can add the dominant "progressive left"  issues e.g. imperialism, race, feminism, LGBT+ etc - you might argue not USA issues but USA is driving force for the challenge to more traditional values of religion, family ...

do you think that UK/EU would seriously be picking a fight with Russia or China without USA leading?

i'm not anti USA, i just want the UK to be setting it's own agenda more.

10 hours ago, puchooay said:

Prediction? I thought so.

If not, please post a link showing how things are in the future so I can have a read. Anything dated 2024 onwards will do. Thanks.

How about you try addressing the present.

Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?”

COVID + WAR + BREXIT = Outcome ?

I know you don’t like the answer but don’t expect the rest of us to ignore the outcome just because you don’t like the answer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RayC said:

So the UK should change its' constitution and adopt a Swiss style system based around referendums?

I wouldn't dream of taking "that accolade" away from the 52% of the voters who voted that way. In fact, I promise to continually remind them of the fact!

Yes, the misguided 37% of the electorate who voted for Brexit, not a majority of the electorate, note.

Anyway, some current news as to London losing its position as top financial centre in Europe. Brexit a contributing factor 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63623502

• Like 2

Here’s another reason why.

“Minako Morita-Jaeger, a senior research fellow in international trade at Sussex University business school and a policy research fellow of the UK Trade Policy Observatory, said the government had “oversold” the UK-Japan trade agreement and it did not offer significant economic advantages over the previous EU deal. She said the early trade data did not appear encouraging.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/26/brexit-britain-japan-trade-deal-exports-slump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just me. but I would prefer it if people just gave their knowledge or opinion or what they think, without have to give a link .

Like, I don't have a link to show that mobile medics visited my house last week 

deleted - links -  off topic.

Edited by ozimoron

13 hours ago, RayC said:

So no accountability or responsibility should be levied against those who got us into this mess in the first place?

As for dealing with the present. We've had 3 PMs in 3 months, and who knows how many cabinet ministers in the same period. You think it wise to let these people continue to deal with the problems?

Richie should have been put in PM position first or even better Bojo should not have left. 

Edited by Kwasaki

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

They are just sad losers who like to belong to a club instead of being and independent and free in making your own decisions.

It's perthetic to think the UK can rejoin it's never going to happen there will be more EU leaving countries I believe in the future.

Sadly the UK is the sad loser these days with the longest recession on record about to begin 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/03/bank-of-england-uk-faces-longest-ever-recession.html

• Like 2