Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

Just now, placeholder said:

That's just B.S. The Brexiters not only claimed that, they also claimed that the new trade opportunities that would open up after Brexit, would more than compensate for being outside of the EU. Which as any rational economist would point out, proximity is hugely important in trade. And being outside of the adjacent 3rd biggest trading bloc in the world is something that's virtually impossible to overcome.

What I said is true. Now you add another 'claim' which was also made but by a limited number of hopefuls. Just the same as that 'sunny uplands' quote. 

Economist.....economist.....economist..  blah. Who are these two biggest trading blocs in the world anyway?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That's just B.S. The Brexiters not only claimed that, they also claimed that the new trade opportunities that would open up after Brexit, would more than compensate for being outside of the EU. Which as any rational economist would point out, proximity is hugely important in trade. And being outside of the adjacent 3rd biggest trading bloc in the world is something that's virtually impossible to overcome.

Yes that's why the EU was going to make an example of UK of anyone else wanting to leave the club pretty obvious.

We could punish them but no-one has the guts to do so.  

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

What I said is true. Now you add another 'claim' which was also made but by a limited number of hopefuls. Just the same as that 'sunny uplands' quote. 

Economist.....economist.....economist..  blah. Who are these two biggest trading blocs in the world anyway?

A "limited number of hopefuls"? Really? You've got to be kidding. Please tell me which leaders of the Brexit movement didn't claim that the UK would make great trade agreements outside the EU which would at least make up for whatever loss might be incurred (if they ever did acknowledge such losses) if not more.

As for "bloc", I should have used the word "entity" or "area" or some other such term, since the 2 biggest entities are the USA and China.

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

More delusional thinking. The way kamikaze pilots punished battleships and aircraft carriers? 

Might as well punish them while UK is where they are now. 

Or we can be like China and wait when the EU collapses as it will it has got to big to manage, bad idea. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Might as well punish them while UK is where they are now. 

Or we can be like China and wait when the EU collapses as it will it has got to big to manage, bad idea. 

And how can the UK punish the EU without suffering retribution? You thinking of a 2nd D-day? This time by the Chunnel?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And how can the UK punish the EU without suffering retribution? You thinking of a 2nd D-day? This time by the Chunnel?

I don't think you have no idea how it could be done and the present UK govt hasn't got the guts to do it either. 

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Or access to the rest of the World . 

Europe or the World , we chose the latter 

How's that going? Maybe it passed me by but the US, India, China, etc. don't seem to be in any great rush to sign any deals.

In the meantime, the UK economy continues to contract by 4% pa as a result of Brexit.

Looks like the wrong choice was made.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I'd rather be longing for the good days to come without being under the Brussels yoke.

Any examples of this oppression that Brussels heaped upon the UK when we were a member?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The EU have enough troubles of their own let them get on with it.

The UK is better off out of it and the new emerging joiners ???? should go and live in the EU. 

Perhaps the Thai based Brexiters should return to the UK to help  build this 'New Jerusalem'.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

How's that going? Maybe it passed me by but the US, India, China, etc. don't seem to be in any great rush to sign any deals.

In the meantime, the UK economy continues to contract by 4% pa as a result of Brexit.

Looks like the wrong choice was made.

Don't worry, we will get by and make the best out of the situation .

Life is about moving on and moving forward, rather than  looking back and analysis what you could have done (differently) 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have often wondered why Brits living in Thailand are so concerned about the U.K being in/out the E.U as it has no effect on them and I wonder even more why E.U citizens living in Thailand are also interested in whether the U.K is a member of the E.U or not 

You should perhaps avoid discussion forums where all members are permitted to discuss all topics open for discussion regardless of their own personal location or nationality.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

So we agree then, what you said was wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.

Point being that there are certain ways of doing things , certain understandings and agreements and not everything is written in law .

Legally there could be a referendum every day , but its understood that referendums are one offs, once on a generation things and not something that can happen regularly

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have often wondered why Brits living in Thailand are so concerned about the U.K being in/out the E.U as it has no effect on them and I wonder even more why E.U citizens living in Thailand are also interested in whether the U.K is a member of the E.U or not 

Edited by placeholder

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

A "limited number of hopefuls"? Really? You've got to be kidding. Please tell me which leaders of the Brexit movement didn't claim that the UK would make great trade agreements outside the EU which would at least make up for whatever loss might be incurred (if they ever did acknowledge such losses) if not more.

As for "bloc", I should have used the word "entity" or "area" or some other such term, since the 2 biggest entities are the USA and China.

You tell me who were all these "leaders" that did claim that the UK would make great trade agreements outside the EU.

You should have just said huge countries. Much more accurate. 

Edited by nauseus
who were + that

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Why should the UK worry about retribution now? We've been suffering it anyway for 6 years.