Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not as brexit stands now.

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Read the articles I’ve posted links to. 

edit:

Oh yes, where did I claim

”things cannot be better than the figures in the links. ”

As above.

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, here's a notice about lorry drivers needing covid tests. But it's for all lorry drivers, not just those from the UK. So since all drivers are required to get a test, the UK is not suffering any more of a burden than any other country's drivers.

https://trans.info/en/covid-tests-for-hgv-drivers-border-requirements-and-test-centres-in-europe-223742

The post I was referring to suggested Brexit was the only reason for delay for shipping between UK and EU.

• Like 1

I don't know much about economics, but I came across this video.
He sounds like an Aussie guy. 

He basically concludes that the current problems the UK is facing are not as big as people are making them out to be.

And he ranks all countries out of 10. His previous rank for UK was 7.2 and his current ranking is 6.8 out of 10.

It's still one of the highest ranked economies in the world.

I dont see Thailand on the list. 

His channel also has a video on the economics of Brexit.

I wish they taught economics like this in school. God those classes were boring. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But your alleged experiences have zero probative value. Even if your experiences are scrupulously accurate, still no probative value.  It's not like there's a lack of objectively confirmable evidence out there. Instead you prefer to make it personal. 

I have posted numerous links to back up may claims , if you would like any more links to back up may claims, tell me what they are and I will see if I can locate any links 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have posted numerous links to back up may claims , if you would like any more links to back up may claims, tell me what they are and I will see if I can locate any links 

I'm not sure what you mean by numerous, but it's indisputable you've made posts with no links and persisted in defending them without invoking objectively confirmable links to defend them.

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm not sure what you mean by numerous, but it's indisputable you've made posts with no links and persisted in defending them without invoking objectively confirmable links to defend them.

Really, honestly , I cannot provide a link to my own personal trip to the supermarket .

I cannot provide a link to myself walking around the streets and noticing people don't switch their house lights on .

Links do not exist to show myself waiting at a busy supermarket check out till , so I provided other links to show other news reports of busy supermarkets .

I have no links to my own personal experiences .

Like, I don't have a link to show myself not switching on my central heating at home  , the best I can do is to post a link showing the UKs energy consumption is down 10-15 % on previous years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have little interest in the effects of Brexit on the UK and thus I do not read all the reports to make a valid comment ,

I doubt that many people read every report but one only needs to read the newspaper summaries to get an idea of what's going on.

You say that you have little interest in the effects of Brexit and can't make a valid comment, but you have nevertheless continuously stated that Brexit has had a lesser effect than Covid and the war in Ukraine on the UK economy.

like its a complex issue and the economy wasn't the main reason for leaving the E.U and there were other factors involved .

Yes it is complex, which is why there shouldn't have been an over-simplistic 'In'/'Out' referendum.

Perhaps the economy should have been the major issue (unless 'Leavers' are content to see themselves made poorer)?

Considering that other E.U Countries and other Countries in the World have similar economic  woes as the UK has (some are faring better , some are faring worse) that seems to suggest that its Covid and the Ukraine that are causing most of the issues .

Different factors affect individual nations to differing degrees. I have no evidence to support the following - I can't be bothered to search for it - but I would imagine that the war in Ukraine has had a greater effect on mainland Europe - especially Germany and Eastern Europe - than the UK. Likewise, Brexit has probably negatively affected Belgium and the Netherlands more than it has Croatia. Again, I have no evidence to support this statement.

E.U Countries have an average inflation rate of 11.5 % and the UK has an inflation rate of 9.5 %

Are you suggesting that Brexit is the cause of the E.U's high inflation rate ?

No. Why would I suggest that?

Again, I lack evidence but I imagine that Brexit has had some effect on EU inflation; however, it will vary from member state to member state. I have no idea how big the effect might be in each of the member states.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, puchooay said:

To coin a phrase, please provide a link to substantiate your claim. 

I'm sure I've read there were delays because of drivers needing Covid tests. I could be wrong and would be more than happy for you to prove me wrong.

Here you go:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-16/british-businesses-give-up-on-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64052849

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, puchooay said:

To coin a phrase, please provide a link to substantiate your claim. 

I'm sure I've read there were delays because of drivers needing Covid tests. I could be wrong and would be more than happy for you to prove me wrong.

There were numerous delays at Dover just after Brexit , the French decided not to open all their immigration booths because their staff were on holiday for the New year and the French didn't get the required staff to deal with all the passengers and the new requirements of having to stamp passports 

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I can't see where it says "Brexit has been the only cause of delays in shipping from UK to EU." Please provide another link that does, in order to substantiate your claim.

Edited by puchooay

44 minutes ago, puchooay said:

The post I was referring to suggested Brexit was the only reason for delay for shipping between UK and EU.

No it wasn’t.

The delays and increased paperwork due to Brexit are knowable by businesses subjected to those delays and increased paperwork.

The war in Russia is not increasing paperwork and delays in shipping to the UK’s largest foreign market, the EU 

COVID (already slipping into history) is not increasing paperwork and delays in shipping to the UK’s largest foreign market, the EU 

wriggle away

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The reason for voting Brexit wasn't solely for a better economy , if the U.K's sole concern was just the economy, the UK would have still continued  to buy Russian gas and we wouldn't have bothered fighting WW 1 and WW 2 .

You might want to do some homework on the causes for the outbreak of World War I. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Those two statements are not the same.

Now please say where I made that claim you attributed to me. 

OK. You posted some links. You then said things could be worse than figures in the links. 

I said they could be better.

You said "not as Brexit stands now".

All comments, both yours and mine, made in connection to the links you posted. Therefore your "not" is in reply to me suggesting the position could be better than suggested in your links.

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I can't see where it says "Brexit has been the only cause of delays in shipping from UK to EU. Please provide another link that does, in order to substantiate your claim.

Too easy:

““One of the great promises of Brexit was freeing British businesses to give them the headroom to maximise their productivity and contribution to the economy – even more desperately needed now on the long road to recovery from the pandemic.

Yet the only detectable impact so far is increased costs, paperwork and border delays.”

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/160856/clear-increase-in-costs-paperwork-and-border-delays-for-uk-business-since-brexit-not-helped-by-repeated-delays-to-new-import-regime/

Wriggle away.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Your link shows that the Guardian has a left wing bias to about the same extent as Fox news has a right wing bias 

Ad Fontes Media rates The Guardian in the Skews Left category of bias and as Reliable, Analysis/Fact Reporting in terms of reliability.

Did you miss the part about Reliable, Analysis/Fact Reporting in terms of reliability?

Guardian

Reliability: 43.42

Bias: -8.39

Fox News

Reliability: 35.65

Bias: 13.50

https://adfontesmedia.com/fox-news-bias-and-reliability/

Fox is less reliable and more biased.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, puchooay said:

OK. You posted some links. You then said things could be worse than figures in the links. 

I said they could be better.

You said "not as Brexit stands now".

All comments, both yours and mine, made in connection to the links you posted. Therefore your "not" is in reply to me suggesting the position could be better than suggested in your links.

Nope. 

You said things might be different and I agreed and said they could be worse in response to your speculation. 

Not as brexit stands now is a reference to the fact the U.K. needs to establish better trade relations with Europe not the links I posted. 

Now please say where I said

”things cannot be better than the figures in the links. ”

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Too easy:

““One of the great promises of Brexit was freeing British businesses to give them the headroom to maximise their productivity and contribution to the economy – even more desperately needed now on the long road to recovery from the pandemic.

Yet the only detectable impact so far is increased costs, paperwork and border delays.”

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/160856/clear-increase-in-costs-paperwork-and-border-delays-for-uk-business-since-brexit-not-helped-by-repeated-delays-to-new-import-regime/

Wriggle away.

Still not proved your point that Brexit was the only cause of delays.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, puchooay said:

Then you should have not mentioned delays. You should only have talked about paperwork.

Refer my last post backed up with a link from a UK Parliamentary committee, here’s the link again:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Still can't see your point proved.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

Still not proved your point that Brexit was the only cause of delays.

I haven’t claimed Brexit is the only cause of delays.

I have stated the delays caused by Brexit are knowable.

Refer UK Parliamentary Committee, link attached:

• Like 2

Oh look, it wasn't just MY supermarket which was busy , the whole of Wales supermarkets were busy as well 

Massive queues in supermarkets around Wales as shoppers pick up last minute items for Christmas Day

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/massive-queues-supermarkets-around-wales-25823876

0_unnamed-5.jpg

Not a leek in sight!

• Haha 1