Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People who actually cared about the damage it would do, and has done, presented their arguments not to damage the economy and the nation’s international standing.

And they lost the vote, so as a democracy Britain implemented the wishes of the majority. 

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

You are doing it again. You provide no evidence but you, nevertheless, phrase things in such a categorical way "...would have been..", "..was caused by...", etc. that it reads as fact.

It is not. It is simply unsubstantiated opinion.

I posted facts and it isn't my opinion .

If you feel something wasn't factual, then please reply to the point I made  and give your reasons why you think it wasn't factual 

34 minutes ago, RayC said:

Talking of facts, care to provide some to support the statement that ".. any increase since 2020 (Brexit) {in child poverty rates} would have been primarily due to Covid and Ukraine"?

Sense of humour shut up shop for the festive period. Scrooge on duty.????

Ray, You seem to be getting him and me mixed up again, it was me who posted the quoted bit above  ,it was me, not him 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There shouldn't be lack of affordable accommodation in UK  it's always the dam money thing. 

I was fortunate back in my time in UK but it still wasn't easy, for younger people now it just seems impossible unless rich Ma and Pa. 

Maybe the UK net migration figures of 500,000 , this year , has something to do with the housing shortage as local councils are obliged to house these immigrants 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RayC said:

The claim - backed by data - is that Brexit has had a negative economic impact on the UK.

We can present evidence. You can stick your head in the sand, stick your fingers in your ears and chant 'Ra Ra Ra, can't hear you' or whatever your preferred method of avoiding inconvenient truths is or, alternatively, you can be rational and think 'You know what, they might have a point'.

But its you who doesn't understand .

We are not bothered if Brexit has had a detrimental effect on the U.K economy .

You can keep saying it over and over again, and exaggerate as much as you like  .

The U.K is doing just fine being out the E,U and we aren't bothered if being out the E.U has had a detrimental effect on the economy .

Like, Who cares ?

Not me 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear. In these sad times if one is losing an argument just introduce racism to make the other side shut up. Thankfully that tactic doesn't always work.

Racism is an incorrect word. Xenophobia is more accurate. 

If you want some evidence that some Brexiters you need look no further than this thread (go back +/-20 pages, work your way forward and I think that you find examples)

".. losing an argument.." ???? Were all the jokes in your box of Christmas crackers that good?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, superal said:

Maybe the UK net migration figures of 500,000 , this year , has something to do with the housing shortage as local councils are obliged to house these immigrants 

Well there's a job for them straight away,  sent in the bricks and mortar,  don't forget insulation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But its you who doesn't understand .

We are not bothered if Brexit has had a detrimental effect on the U.K economy .

You can keep saying it over and over again, and exaggerate as much as you like  .

The U.K is doing just fine being out the E,U and we aren't bothered if being out the E.U has had a detrimental effect on the economy .

Like, Who cares ?

Not me 

And you can keep trying to pass off your opinion as fact. It is not and I will continue to remind you of that. Btw:That is an example of a fact

There is no exaggeration (imo)

The UK is not doing "just fine being out (sic) the EU.." (imo)

Who cares about making the country poorer? Economically literate people who don't self harm.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I'll reproduce the post in question with my challenge/ question(s) to you in <> after each point.

"1. I don't know about the UK poverty rates , but any increase since 2020 (Brexit) would have been primarily due to Covid and Ukraine "

<Where is your evidence to support the "fact" that Covid and Ukraine have had a bigger effect (than Brexit)? (Note: A bigger effect on the overall UK economy will do for me).>

" 2 Food bank usage decreased last year , although the previous increases were caused by the pandemic and lockdown and last years decrease was caused by pandemic restrictions being lifted ."

<Again. Evidence to support these "facts"?>

"3 Again , I have no idea about UK exports"

<Fair enough. Let's move on.>

"4 British people can no longer go and live in the E.U and also E.U citizens cannot now go and live in the U.K and this will benefit British kids with things like housing availability and the jobs market in the UK"

<Where is the evidence to support the "fact" that housing and jobs will be more accessible for Brits (kids or otherwise) as a result of the restrictions on EU immigration?>

"5 More housing and jobs available in the U.K "

<Again. Supporting evidence?>

"6 Both sides gave a biased opinion /prediction of how the UK would be effected by Brexit "

<Bias in what ways? Outright lies? Examples? Evidence?>

1 . I have stated that many time before and you keep asking . 

I cannot keep replying with the same answer over and over again .........................once again, its the the Ukraine war that has caused high inflation and Covid..........................no I cannot keep writing the same thing over and over again, sorry 

2 I read that information from a link from the charity , it may have been from that link or another one and it also stands to reason, more people got food from food banks when they werent working during the pandemic 

4 . That is common sense . 

If there are less people coming to live in the U.K , then there will be ,more housing available , same with jobs .

5 Just say for example all the six million E.U citizens in the UK go back to Europe , there will be six million house vacancies where they used to live

6 Surely you can remember ?

Do you really need me to tell you what both sides of the campaign were saying ?

Its been repeated many time before and its common knowledge 

12 minutes ago, RayC said:

And you can keep trying to pass off your opinion as fact. It is not and I will continue to remind you of that. Btw:That is an example of a fact

There is no exaggeration (imo)

The UK is not doing "just fine being out (sic) the EU.." (imo)

Who cares about making the country poorer? Economically literate people who don't self harm.

More like : Brexit is done and dusted and we are out the E.U and now lets get on with it and move on and there's no point looking back and analysing what would have happened had   we'd stayed in .

We left and lets get on with it and if leaving had a detrimental effect on the UK, then so be it 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

1 . I have stated that many time before and you keep asking . 

I cannot keep replying with the same answer over and over again .........................once again, its the the Ukraine war that has caused high inflation and Covid..........................no I cannot keep writing the same thing over and over again, sorry 

2 I read that information from a link from the charity , it may have been from that link or another one and it also stands to reason, more people got food from food banks when they werent working during the pandemic 

4 . That is common sense . 

If there are less people coming to live in the U.K , then there will be ,more housing available , same with jobs .

5 Just say for example all the six million E.U citizens in the UK go back to Europe , there will be six million house vacancies where they used to live

6 Surely you can remember ?

Do you really need me to tell you what both sides of the campaign were saying ?

Its been repeated many time before and its common knowledge 

And yet again you fail to mention the role brexit has played. 

Quelle Surprise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A direct result of selling off council houses, restricting the building of replacement council houses and promoting the private landlord rental market.

Choking the supply of housing and putting first time buyers in competition with private landlords, many of whom leveraged their own existing property wealth to obtain. Lower cost mortgages and again getting ahead of first time buyers.

Add that to the vested political interest in jacking up house prices and the reason why the UK is not building enough houses becomes clear.

More like a direct result of record rises in immigration numbers since 1997.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06077/

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06077/assets/841f882b-a72c-484f-af35-f9b98546171c.png

Edited by nauseus
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Immigration has added to the UK population every year since 1977.

Would you expect house building to increase?

Well house building has not increased, I’ve given my thoughts on why not above.

DDF4C314-F23A-4DAA-AA55-1E1AA2672D8D.jpeg

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

More like : Brexit is done and dusted and we are out the E.U and now lets get on with it and move on and there's no point looking back and analysing what would have happened had   we'd stayed in .

We left and lets get on with it and if leaving had a detrimental effect on the UK, then so be it 

If there was nothing that could be done to remedy the situation, then I would agree.

However, there are alternatives such as rejoining the Customs Union and/or Single Market (which admittedly require EU agreement).

To recognise that something has a detrimental effect and then continue to do it or - as appeared to be the case since we left - actively try to make things progressively worse is an act of stupidity.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1