Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

27 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I had 2 pints yesterday. A real ale at £3.80 and a Guinness at £4.50. Nice pub in a nice area. Where are your friends paying their prices?

Southern pubs. 

My sons and their mates have money but have just about had enough they have nice gardens and room areas and building their own bars at home and in gardens and starting Brew beer at home. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The polls fluctuated before the election and they were close. 

image.png.e06eec2d279c93d2dfd07625dba0b10c.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/987347/brexit-opinion-poll/

The polls fluctuate  in 2022 and they are close as well ?

Point being that the majority of polls before the Brexit vote also gave Remain the win , just like the polls today do 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Point being that the majority of polls before the Brexit vote also gave Remain the win , just like the polls today do 

There is only one reliable pole. ????

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are making a common mistake in your analysis. It's not about who wins, it's about accuracy. How close did the polls come to getting it the numbers right. As an example: Which is a better poll? One that predicts Mr. A will win by 20 points but he wins by 2 or one that predicts he loses by 2 but he wins by 2? The polls showing remain were off but not by such a huge margin as is currently the case. 

It's extremely unlikely that a long series of polls that show such a huge gap now as there is between pro and anti Brexit opinion are going to be so extremely wrong.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Southern pubs. 

My sons and their mates have money but have just about had enough they have nice gardens and room areas and building their own bars at home and in gardens and starting Brew beer at home. 

Southern pubs? 

I'm on the south coast. Where are the puvscwith £6/7 pints?

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Brexit problems in store for 2023 – all polls are now showing that the public regard Brexit as a bad deal and businesses are now calling for a fast return to closer relationship with the EU just to stop them going under.

2 years since the UK signed its post-Brexit trade deal with the EU, small are finding the hassles of trading across the English Channel are showing no signs of abating.

Exports to the EU are 26 per cent lower than they would have been without the non-tariff barriers imposed by the TCA. There has been a sharp fall in the varieties of goods traded, which have dropped from 70,000 to 42,000 since the new rules came into effect.

Before Brexit, businesses with 75 per cent EU exports and the rest in the UK have found those figures are turned on their head because of the costs and difficulties of getting products to the EU…..this is a huge loss to turnover

British Chambers of Commerce said that these frustrations were typical of small and medium-sized companies that were now facing permanent rather than temporary problems as a result of Boris’s deal the deal.

What businesses are calling for is the reinstatement of freedom of movement and a single market. First via a  Swiss-style deal with Brussels to eliminate checks on plant and animal products and also a Norway-style deal to reduce chaos around VAT on low-value imports and an ongoing recognition of EU industrial and electronic product standards.

In the long term Britain needs an EU-UK deal for VAT and an agreement on EU co-operation on product regulation and professional services. Boris’s TCA comes up for its five-yearly review in 2026 but this isn’t soon enough for any sector of UK businesses – industrial financial or retail …

When Boris announced his eleventh-hour deal on Christmas Eve 2020, he claimed that “no non-tariff barriers to trade” would mean little change in the situation. He ignored advice then that it was not possible and now a couple of years down the line the effects are biting but still not fully felt

Smaller retail businesses are now faced with a host of ongoing post-Brexit challenges; higher import costs, a weaker pound, longer lead times for obtaining products, the need for new import licences, EU border checks and payment of import VAT.

All of this has deterred EU customers. Online retail customers in the EU that had previously bought a single £10 items are facing VAT and handling charges that more than double or triple prices.

Businesses in the EU are forced to obtain import licences for products from the UK which obviously makes them less attractive. Many UK products ae now only acceptable as a “premium” priced curio rather than mainstream goods

The single issue government has failed to do hardly anything more to expedite exports to the EU.

Many people are unaware of the complications caused by leaving the EU VAT system  a fiscal intermediary; an EU-registered company able to declare and pay VAT, they work as a guarantor for any VAT due.– I used to have to do this in the 1970s  For small businesses this means repeatedly having to pay extra fees, so sending single, occasional small products is not going to be cost effective.

I used to do business in the EU from the 1970s to the year 2002 and the difference between the start and the opening of the borders was immense – it allowed many small businesses to flourish and proud to be British – now we are ashamed to be the laughing stock of Europe and the world.

Are you writing that yourself or did someone else write that and should you be providing a link to the news source ?

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The graph I posted indicates four decades of declining house building.

A period that aligns with the same four decades of rampant House price inflation 

Four decades of public policy failing to build the houses the nation needs while propping up house price inflation.

But along you come to blame it on immigration.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

In the chart (net dwellings) below we can see an improvement after your posted cut-off at 2013.

Pre 2008 (GFC) there was catch-up happening too but after that there were a few years of limited investment due to the GFC. Net immigration after 1997 rose so quickly that good planning and effective catch-up was impossible. In any event, the whole building process slowed as building permissions become more limited and longer to obtain because suitable available sites decreased in number.  

The tail-off at the right is due  to the recent pandemic.

image.png.b829925439ca64e6a049a18cce464725.png

=====

These same four decades you used began with the end of a busy post-war building era, necessary to compensate for zero building through the WWII years and just after them. After that then the numbers of annual new builds were exceptionally high. 

The graph I posted indicates a recovery in recent years (increased house building) but that has not been enough to deal with new high demand, which is far higher than before 1997, with much of that difference due to an extra 200,000 people a year coming in to the UK, This is a major factor and should be acknowledged.

Yes there has been high house price inflation, especially after 1997, all partly due to low interest rates, environmental protection laws, plus local areas resisting rising congestion.

Yes, agree, lack of social (council) housing - the discounted sale of council houses to tenants worked well for many but the effect of that has dissipated and new build social housing has been inadequate

27 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Why is the UK struggling ore?

the answer is Brexit.

Brexit has already cost the UK more than the total we paid in over 47 years

If you need evidence just read the Brexiteer responses on this thread. - they are so telling. Full of "one quote wonders" putting up mis-selected graphs they don't understand in the hope that one quote can contradict six years and a whole worldwide gamut of evidence to the contrary - only Brexiteers believe that nonsense.

As I said before, Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who can't read.

Where are you watching from ?

28 minutes ago, placeholder said:

From 2004 to 2021 the foreign born population in the UK increased by 4.2 million. In that same time period over 2 million new housing units were built in the uk. 

image.png.fc6d10055c6d1661150e8a0ee9356b2f.png

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-in-the-uk-an-overview/

From 2003 to 2019 over 2 million housing units were built

image.png.f720c8a364e08cc2b52ae7f6de20d1a2.png
https://www.statista.com/statistics/746101/completion-of-new-dwellings-uk/

So how is this rise in housing prices due to the increase in foreign residents in the UK?

Where did I say that. Are you still on the lash from last weekend? 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its like being Nigel Farage in Brussels in 2015 all over again  .

Living in the UK and saying we want to leave the E.U and people living outside the UK saying we cannot leave 

First you claim your poll is going to tell us nothing, now you claim that it's those outside the UK. I have indulged you long enough. This is just one more way you engage in trolling by making things personal. Just like correlating those who rooted against the UK with being remainers. Give it up already. You're not fooling anybody.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:
  3 hours ago, nauseus said:

In the chart (net dwellings) below we can see an improvement after your posted cut-off at 2013.

Pre 2008 (GFC) there was catch-up happening too but after that there were a few years of limited investment due to the GFC. Net immigration after 1997 rose so quickly that good planning and effective catch-up was impossible. In any event, the whole building process slowed as building permissions become more limited and longer to obtain because suitable available sites decreased in number.  

The tail-off at the right is due  to the recent pandemic.

image.png.b829925439ca64e6a049a18cce464725.png

=====

These same four decades you used began with the end of a busy post-war building era, necessary to compensate for zero building through the WWII years and just after them. After that then the numbers of annual new builds were exceptionally high. 

The graph I posted indicates a recovery in recent years (increased house building) but that has not been enough to deal with new high demand, which is far higher than before 1997, with much of that difference due to an extra 200,000 people a year coming in to the UK, This is a major factor and should be acknowledged.

Yes there has been high house price inflation, especially after 1997, all partly due to low interest rates, environmental protection laws, plus local areas resisting rising congestion.

Yes, agree, lack of social (council) housing - the discounted sale of council houses to tenants worked well for many but the effect of that has dissipated and new build social housing has been inadequate

There has been a housing shortage throughout the whole 12 year period of the current Government’s tenure.

At no time in those 12 years has the Government acted to meet the housing shortage with increased building.

The last time that happened was, as you yourself noted, prior to 2008 under a Labour Government.

Not building houses to meet demand has been Government policy.

Once again you blame immigrants.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

First you claim your poll is going to tell us nothing, now you claim that it's those outside the UK. I have indulged you long enough. This is just one more way you engage in trolling by making things personal. Just like correlating those who rooted against the UK with being remainers. Give it up already. You're not fooling anybody.

I am making a valid point , I have noticed that the people living in the UK (in this thread) are quite happy and content with  Brexit and the results of it and its those who live abroad who aren't happy with Brexit .

For the sake of validating peoples opinion from personal experiences  , I wondered how long they have spent in the UK post Brexit 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am making a valid point , I have noticed that the people living in the UK (in this thread) are quite happy and content with  Brexit and the results of it and its those who live abroad who aren't happy with Brexit .

For the sake of validating peoples opinion from personal experiences  , I wondered how long they have spent in the UK post Brexit 

The advantage of economic data is it can be referred to by anyone regardless of their location.

I look forward to updating my views of life in the UK soon after I arrive there in a couple of weeks from now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Who cares what you claim to have noticed? 

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

Sound familiar?

And now you're claiming that your poll actually will have some kind of sound evidentiary value? 

Give up the trolling already. It's just so tired and obvious.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Who cares what you claim to have noticed? 

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

Sound familiar?

I have noticed it from people posting in this thread 

Here is a link to this thread.................as requested ????

You did make the request and I am obliged to comply 

• Haha 1