Daikin Aircon compressor control board

MJCM

We just found out that a Gecko has shorted the control board of our DAIKIN FTKM18SV2S Compressor.

The aircon techie will order one, but does anyone know approx the price of such a board?

Please note: It's not the Indoor unit board BUT the board of the Compressor (or outdoor unit)

TiA

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

The person ordering should be able to provide some kind of an answer I would suspect.  If already removed might want to have a TV repair shop tech check it - might be something they could fix cheaply.  Suspect total replacement will be the only option by dealers, unless it is an older model and one that might have been junked can be located.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The person ordering should be able to provide some kind of an answer I would suspect.  If already removed might want to have a TV repair shop tech check it - might be something they could fix cheaply.  Suspect total replacement will be the only option by dealers, unless it is an older model and one that might have been junked can be located.  

Thx , the aircon is from 2020 so not that old, I will have the wife call Daikin tmrw anyway but I want to know an approx price so if the techie calls I know if he is not trying to add something on top (:thumbsup:)

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thx.

It looked more like this

https://www.orionairsales.co.uk/daikin-air-conditioning-spare-part-eb9460-pcb-main-control-board-ec1-for-rsxy-h-10018-p.asp

So NOT with all those bits sticking out

Another question then, has someone else had to change the board on their Aircon compressor and what was approx the price?

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Had exactly same problem last year..gecko short. New board was approx 15,000 baht, although luckily covered under warranty.

F.... me a bit less then half the price of a new aircon

Thx

Edit: Warranty has AFAIK expired.

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Thx

An update thought....That price was for my 48,000btu large ceiling aircon, so probably would be cheaper for a normal 18,000btu wall mounted unit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

An update thought....That price was for my 48,000btu large ceiling aircon, so probably would be cheaper for a normal 18,000btu wall mounted unit. 

No worries and Thx, I will let you know the price tmrw after we have spoken to Daikin

Thx again, appreciated

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx

Daikin warranty is three years on those units ... not sure if it covers the cause of failurs you had though. But as Crossy suggests it may very well be repairable.

34 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Daikin warranty is three years on those units ... not sure if it covers the cause of failurs you had though. But as Crossy suggests it may very well be repairable.

He already tried to repair it on site but failed, maybe that is the reason why he took it with him.

We bought the aircon in May 2020 (cost was 37.700 THB) was installed in June 2020 and we had Daikin come in 2021 because of a problem (which in the end was caused by a faulty install (not by this techie) and they said then (according to my wife) that then it was still under warranty but not much longer.

Will let the wife ask them tmrw as well.

Edit:

1. The Company will warrant component damages due only to component quality or production error for a period of one year from the installation date.

2. The warranty does not include checking and cleaning services.

3. In the event of machine failure, the Company will check and repair the machine free of charge within the first year of a warranty period, provided the user has properly used the air conditioner in accordance with the instructions in the user manual.

4. All outdoor condensing unit PCBs for every model of Room Air R32 inverter and evaporators for every model of R32 air conditioners have three-year warranties, covering service fee, inspection fee, and repair and parts fee.

5. All ROOM AIR and SKY AIR 8,500 – 49,400 BTU compressors have a five-year warranty, not covering service fee, inspection fee, and repair and parts fee after the first one year.

https://www.daikin.co.th/en/warranty-policy/

Edited by MJCM

Hi

I had the same problem with my Hitachi AirCon. I asked the experts here, what I can do to avoid something like that happens again and they told me, there is nothing I can do.... 

After they fixed it, I reopened the whole thing. On my board there is a small whole, where one can put the finger inside to open the board.  This is the only way the Gecko could crawle in. I closed this whole - that's it. See attachement.

The price for my board was about 5500 bath.

Board_Old.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:

We called Daikin, and it's indeed still under warranty and the Daikin aircon guys will come over and check / install.

But if anything else is broken then we must pay for it not a problem with that.

We want our Aircon back 555555555555555

Thx Guys, will keep you updated.

Edit: Forgot (in all excitement) to ask the price of the Board, but will do that when the Daikin guys come over.

Edit 2: We mentioned about the Gecko etc etc and they said no problem, warranty covers it.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

Our Aircon techie is here to close up the compressor and put in the board and I just had a look at the board and it has also a big hole in it, but upon asking the techie to close that hole he said "not a good idea, better is to have wire mesh all around the compressor to prevent Gecko's / Rats / Mice entering it."

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Just now, Crossy said:

The problem is that any mesh small enough to stop the beasties will restrict the airflow needed for cooling, and that will likely invalidate whatever warranty remains.

As I wrote in an earlier post, I had the exact same problem with gecko short.

So now we spray 'Shelldrite" around the compressor case/surrounding area once a week, and it seems to work, as no little beasties in evidence these days.

worth a try.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

The problem is that any mesh small enough to stop the beasties will restrict the airflow needed for cooling, and that will likely invalidate whatever warranty remains.

Have you considered the possiblility that the AC manufacturers havw purposely left a large enough opening to allow the geckos access these costly circuit boards knowing full well that geckos will short out the board and they will get to sell a lot of new circuit boards!

I had the same issue with my Samsung double inverter evaporator unit. Cost me 2500 baht for a new PCB from Lazada! Plus my 3 hours labor to install it! I did not block the air flow but I can see that for the PCB on the evaporator unit, the card will only get hot when the Air Con is runing and there is plenty of cool air to reach the PCB in that case. Outside, the PCB is in open air and I think that putting a descrete screen to protect the PCB board with a course mesh would be better than have another Gecko fry the new board. Just make sure that the mesh is corse enough to avoid too much air restriction. If the board fails again do to overheating than just remove the mesh before calling for warranty repair!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Have you considered the possiblility that the AC manufacturers havw purposely left a large enough opening to allow the geckos access these costly circuit boards knowing full well that geckos will short out the board and they will get to sell a lot of new circuit boards!

I had the same issue with my Samsung double inverter evaporator unit. Cost me 2500 baht for a new PCB from Lazada! Plus my 3 hours labor to install it! I did not block the air flow but I can see that for the PCB on the evaporator unit, the card will only get hot when the Air Con is runing and there is plenty of cool air to reach the PCB in that case. Outside, the PCB is in open air and I think that putting a descrete screen to protect the PCB board with a course mesh would be better than have another Gecko fry the new board. Just make sure that the mesh is corse enough to avoid too much air restriction. If the board fails again do to overheating than just remove the mesh before calling for warranty repair!

Yes. There are so many cases like this with inverters on the Internet. Hard to believe that the manufacturers don't know about them and obviously don't care why they have so many damaged boards. On top of it they kill innocent animals. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

This is a question for the Daikin guys when they come over, will report back

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

So now we spray 'Shelldrite" around the compressor case/surrounding area once a week, and it seems to work, as no little beasties in evidence these days.

worth a try.

Good idea.

Do you mean this stuff (Chaindrite)??

spacer.png

Edited by MJCM
Forgot to add picture ;)

On 11/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, JAS21 said:

Do you have any idea about the warranty for the SAMSUNG AC units? I bought mine in October 2020 and had them installed by a local installer who was paid by the vendor in December 2020. I just had a second unit fail. Maybe another Gecko! I also have a Daikin from June 2020. Also inverter unit. That one is still OK, but wondering if the Diakin warranty is for 3 years for mine as well? 

17 minutes ago, thaisail said:

I also have a Daikin from June 2020. Also inverter unit. That one is still OK, but wondering if the Diakin warranty is for 3 years for mine as well? 

Just call Daikin, the serial number of your unit is on the inside unit on the right hand side next to the Type Number

They can tell you

Phone Number: 1271

Edit: Mine was bought May 2020 and Warranty on the OUTSIDE unit is still valid

Edited by MJCM