Do you believe that Super Yachts should be impounded? Or, should they be relegated to roaming the high seas, like Ghost Ships? Forever, and ever....

GammaGlobulin

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

The yatchs should be scuttled so that some other billionaire doesn't get to enjoy them because the other billionaires are probably thieves as well. Am I jealous.....yes I am.

Use them for artificial reefs. That way they would finally do some good for the planet.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:32 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

In my opinion, all Super Yachts purchased with illegitimate wealth should be shredded. 

The shreds from the steel hulls and the aluminum superstructure of these exorbitant vessels should be recycled into bottle caps for cheap beer to be drunk by the masses. 

The problem with these sickos that purchase these mega yachts is that they lack the understanding of how they are supposed to fit into society as normal humans. 

Any normal human would not be able to rest easy knowing that others don't have even enough rice to eat. 

Super Yachts are a basic affront to the idea that there is any humanity left in this world.

Just the idea of Super Yachts is so degrading to the belief that there might be some hope for mankind. 

Personally, I have become ultimately pessimistic about the future of mankind, which is a complete about-face from the way I used to feel. 

This is why I have learned to stop worrying, and have, instead, learned to love the bomb. 

Because, in my new enlightened thinking, the bomb shall set us free. Free, at last, FREE at LAST. 

After the bomb, Thank God, Almighty, we will be free at last. 

Someday, soon, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, all God's chil'n' gonna eat shortening bread, up in the sky. 

There will be angels, and harps, and Harpo Marx. 

We're all gonna have a HIGH time, up in the sky. 

We're all gonna be high, HIGH, up in the sky.

(The above video is only a segment from Platoon, very benign, and nothing more.)

Looking forward to it. 

Best regards, 

GammaRaysG

Oh dear !!!!

On 11/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, kwilco said:

The title is about impounding Russian yachts - is that political?

Russia has fire a rocket into Poland this is NATO territory and the situation with Russia is getting worse - the Russian oligarchs need to be shown they cannot carry on whilst Russia is escalating the war. Russia now accuses Poland of trying to escalate the war - whilst they are being admonished by G19.

The TITLE says nothing about Russians, unless you believe all super yachts are Russian.

Try to be accurate when making claims.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:29 PM, KhunLA said:

RU citizens are not the RU gov't/policy makers.

Just like USA/NATO country citizens do not make govt policy.

Should all the NATO member citizens been banned from travel or their possessions confiscated when they decided to invade & occupy Iraq & Afghan. for 10-15 year, with anywhere from 500k to 1+ million killed & millions displaced, depending what reports you believe.

How many UN resolutions has Israel ignored, and their control over Palestine, and yet, they are free to do & go as they please

The hypocrisy on this forum is mind boggling.

AFAIK the US and its allies do not deliberately target civilian buildings and infrastructure in pursuit of military and political objectives. Possibly Israel, in trying to eliminate terrorists who fire rockets into Israel from the cover of civilian buildings.

OTOH, the Syrian and Chechnya experiences are being repeated wholesale in Ukraine by Russia. Ukraine's hands are tied in terms of responding in kind.

False equivalence.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK the US and its allies do not deliberately target civilian buildings and infrastructure in pursuit of military and political objectives. Possibly Israel, in trying to eliminate terrorists who fire rockets into Israel from the cover of civilian buildings.

OTOH, the Syrian and Chechnya experiences are being repeated wholesale in Ukraine by Russia. Ukraine's hands are tied in terms of responding in kind.

False equivalence.

How did a fun thread on the Pub about superyachts morph into yet another evil Russia/ Ukrainian war rant thread?

The problem with super-yachting is that most owners know nothing about sailing.

I have nothing against super yachts, if only they were really super.

Here is an example of a super yacht which does no harm, and only does good, in almost every way.

Give us more of these, and then, yachting might recoup its good name in the eyes of the public.

image.jpeg.434f154c4d41d2467537d2927533cc65.jpeg

This is the schooner, Atlantic, bless her soul!

Super Yacht, if there ever was one, built in 1903.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

False equivalence.

AFAIK ... That's one opinion ... wrong of course:

"Because most of the information from Operation Desert Storm is still classified, it is difficult to make definitive judgments about the impact of attacks on electrical power, but once again electric power was a high priority target."

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Dec/29/2001861964/-1/-1/0/T_GRIFFITH_STRATEGIC_ATTACK.PDF

"The United States attacked al-Nasiriyya 400 kV Electrical Power Transformer Station on March 22, 2003, with a carbon fiber bomb designed to disable power. The city lost power for thirty days. © 2003 Reuben E. Brigety, II / Human Rights Watch

The transformer station is the critical link between al-Nasiriyya Electrical Power Production Plant and the city of al-Nasiriyya.103 When the transformer station went off-line it removed the southern link to all power in the city, which was then totally reliant on the North Electrical Station 132. Although the carbon fiber is supposed to incapacitate temporarily, three transformers were completely destroyed by a fire from a short circuit caused by the carbon fiber. The station’s wires seemed to have been melted by the intense fire. Human Rights Watch was told that the transformers would have to be replaced and the entire facility rewired.

On March 23 at 10:00 a.m., the United States attacked North Electrical Station 132. Hassan Dawud, an engineer at the station when it was attacked, said a U.S. aircraft strafed the facility, destroying three transformers, gas pipes, and the air conditioning, which brought the entire facility down as components that were not damaged by the attack overheated.104 Damage to the transformers and air conditioning were clearly visible, including large holes in the walls consistent with aircraft cannon fire. Further north in Rafi on Highway 7, Human Rights Watch found a transformer station with significant damage from air strikes, including at least one destroyed transformer.

From its investigations, it is unclear to Human Rights Watch what effective contribution to Iraqi military action these facilities were making and why attacking them offered a definite military advantage to the United States, and in particular how they supported the ground operations in al-Nasiriyya. Two senior CENTCOM officials declined to comment on these attacks.105 Human Rights Watch does not understand the military necessity and rationale for these attacks and calls on the United States to explain them fully.

The attacks caused significant and long-term damage, and the civilian cost was high. Dr. `Ali `Abd al-Sayyid, director of al-Nasiriyya General Hospital, told Human Rights Watch that the loss of power was a huge impediment to the proper treatment of war wounded. No one died as a direct result of the power loss, but the hospital’s generators were taxed to their limit and it had to do away with some non-critical services to ensure the wounded were given basic treatment. He also stated that the loss of power created a water crisis in the city.106

Human Rights Watch researchers saw many areas in al-Nasiriyya where people had dug up water and sewage pipes outside their homes in a vain attempt to get drinking water. Even when successful, the water was often contaminated because the power outage prevented water purification. This led to what Dr. `Abd al-Sayyid termed “water-born diarrheal infections."

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/usa1203/4.5.htm

Who do you suppose took out the Nord Stream pipeline, US or NATO, or joint operation ?

Edited by KhunLA

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Because most of the information from Operation Desert Storm is still classified, it is difficult to make definitive judgments about the impact of attacks on electrical power, but once again electric power was a high priority target."

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Dec/29/2001861964/-1/-1/0/T_GRIFFITH_STRATEGIC_ATTACK.PDF

"The United States attacked al-Nasiriyya 400 kV Electrical Power Transformer Station on March 22, 2003, with a carbon fiber bomb designed to disable power. The city lost power for thirty days. © 2003 Reuben E. Brigety, II / Human Rights Watch

The transformer station is the critical link between al-Nasiriyya Electrical Power Production Plant and the city of al-Nasiriyya.103 When the transformer station went off-line it removed the southern link to all power in the city, which was then totally reliant on the North Electrical Station 132. Although the carbon fiber is supposed to incapacitate temporarily, three transformers were completely destroyed by a fire from a short circuit caused by the carbon fiber. The station’s wires seemed to have been melted by the intense fire. Human Rights Watch was told that the transformers would have to be replaced and the entire facility rewired.

On March 23 at 10:00 a.m., the United States attacked North Electrical Station 132. Hassan Dawud, an engineer at the station when it was attacked, said a U.S. aircraft strafed the facility, destroying three transformers, gas pipes, and the air conditioning, which brought the entire facility down as components that were not damaged by the attack overheated.104 Damage to the transformers and air conditioning were clearly visible, including large holes in the walls consistent with aircraft cannon fire. Further north in Rafi on Highway 7, Human Rights Watch found a transformer station with significant damage from air strikes, including at least one destroyed transformer.

From its investigations, it is unclear to Human Rights Watch what effective contribution to Iraqi military action these facilities were making and why attacking them offered a definite military advantage to the United States, and in particular how they supported the ground operations in al-Nasiriyya. Two senior CENTCOM officials declined to comment on these attacks.105 Human Rights Watch does not understand the military necessity and rationale for these attacks and calls on the United States to explain them fully.

The attacks caused significant and long-term damage, and the civilian cost was high. Dr. `Ali `Abd al-Sayyid, director of al-Nasiriyya General Hospital, told Human Rights Watch that the loss of power was a huge impediment to the proper treatment of war wounded. No one died as a direct result of the power loss, but the hospital’s generators were taxed to their limit and it had to do away with some non-critical services to ensure the wounded were given basic treatment. He also stated that the loss of power created a water crisis in the city.106

Human Rights Watch researchers saw many areas in al-Nasiriyya where people had dug up water and sewage pipes outside their homes in a vain attempt to get drinking water. Even when successful, the water was often contaminated because the power outage prevented water purification. This led to what Dr. `Abd al-Sayyid termed “water-born diarrheal infections."

Who do you suppose took out the Nord Stream pipeline, US or NATO, or joint operation ?

but but but will be the response.

Thank you for posting that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As a lad I loved pictures of the schooner Yankee. I used to day dream of sailing the world on it. It was a sad day it was wrecked on a reef.

Yachting should be considered as equivalent to Sailing.

If no sails, then not a yacht.

If made mostly of wood, then all the better.

Wooden ships on the water are better. 

Speaking of Yachts which should be impounded, just for their own good, yada yada:

This is the Russian Typhoon class of Yacht....

image.jpeg.5d0c2992cb31bf13429bfd3aa3282800.jpeg

Plenty of luxury life onboard this yacht:

Sometimes, they invite girls aboard, too.

Girls like these:

I just wonder, sometimes,...

How did Russian babushkas ever create a 

Fyodor Dostoevsky, or...

a Dmitri Shostakovich?

A Putin is easy to create.

But, a Dostoevsky?

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So you can cherry-pick one instance. Now tell me how many apartments and civilian buildings were targeted by the Americans in al-Nasiriyya. How do you know the power infrastructure there was not a critical element of the Iraqi military machine?

Telling me I am wrong does not make it so. I suggest you check out the meaning of the term "begging the question."

I have no idea who took out the Nordstream pipeline, and I have no interest in conspiracy theories or deflection from the topic.

War is brutal and nasty. I would suggest in Ukraine, the Russians have taken those attributes to a new level of moral turpitude. An army with no honor, convicted murderers and rapists allowed into the front lines. Fact.

The super yachts belong to oligarchs who support Putin, a kleptomaniac. Murderer and poisoner of any one who opposes him.

If you are suggesting said oligarchs should get a free pass on their obscene wealth, gained by swindling ordinary Russians, it says a lot about your own moral compass and biases.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So you can cherry-pick one instance. Now tell me how many apartments and civilian buildings were targeted by the Americans in al-Nasiriyya. How do you know the power infrastructure there was not a critical element of the Iraqi military machine?

Telling me I am wrong does not make it so. I suggest you check out the meaning of the term "begging the question."

I have no idea who took out the Nordstream pipeline, and I have no interest in conspiracy theories or deflection from the topic.

War is brutal and nasty. I would suggest in Ukraine, the Russians have taken those attributes to a new level of moral turpitude. An army with no honor, convicted murderers and rapists allowed into the front lines. Fact.

The super yachts belong to oligarchs who support Putin, a kleptomaniac. Murderer and poisoner of any one who opposes him.

If you are suggesting said oligarchs should get a free pass on their obscene wealth, gained by swindling ordinary Russians, it says a lot about your own moral compass and biases.

BUT BUT BUT ... DON'T DEFLECT

IMHO ... US/UK/NATO are the true terrorist in the world.  With every regime change and civil war that they start.  Millions die.

Repeated over & over;  Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghan, Vietnam, Korea, more than a few South & Central American countries & Africa.

Surely you're not that ignorant, or I would hope not.

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

IMHO ... US/UK/NATO are the true terrorist in the world.  With every regime change and civil war that they start.  Millions die.

Repeated over & over;  Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghan, Vietnam, Korea, more than a few South & Central American countries & Africa.

Nim Chimpsky was ignorant. 

Noam Chomsky was anything but ignorant, in his prime, like Miss Jean Brody. 

I guess you have been reading Noam, rather than Nim. 

Don't worry. 

I agree with you and McNamara. 

Sometimes, terrorism is not so easy to see, unless it happens to you. And then, it's plain as day. 

35 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The deflection is yours, a look over there in response to the title of the thread.

Implying I am ignorant because my point of view differs from yours is adding gaslighting to your previous attempt at  begging the question.

If anything, your tribal allegiance on the topic of EV's tells me where both of us sit w.r.to said attribute.