Bank of Thailand moves against cash and the US dollar in a plan to reduce cash in half by 2026

webfact

On 11/16/2022 at 3:48 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree. Cash is so simple. I never had to wait for people using cash- only those using electronic.

I'll be PO if they manage to bring in cashless before I pass over, as I'd be forced to buy one of those horrid not so smart phones and learn how to use it.

Bad news for you if they bring in a QR code based permit before you can die.

I kinda like it. I use Bangkok bank and the only thing is I tend to spend to much with the App. Other than that it's great. When the dollar to baht was at 38 I pulled a few thousand dollars and put it in the bank. With out it I would be stashing cash everywhere. Or having to buy and use an ATM card.

Had the GF's cousin staying with us for the past week & as she's heading back tomorrow I gave the GF 2,500b to take the 2 of them out for a nice relaxing 2 hour massage & to give me a bit of peace. 

Massage finished (Great place, just past Soi 9 on 2nd Road as you leave Central) & the GF decides she's going to surprise me by getting me a Meatball Marinara sandwich (My favourite) from Subway, so goes to Terminal 21 armed with approx. 700b in cash change from the massage & is told "Sorry, we don't accept cash"

Her Internet Banking / GWallet is on her other phone (She's more paranoid about keeping it separate than I am) so I ended up with a McDonalds... 

Gee Thanks Subway!

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:47 AM, moe666 said:

How so to Euro. Oil is valued in US dollars. That will not change you seem to think they are buying this oil with suitcases of Bhat and dollars

If China wants to buy oil from Russia it is calculated and converted to USD . Which means USA is making money without even being a trade partner. That's why Putin demands buyers to pay directly in Rubel without conversion to USD

On 11/16/2022 at 8:04 AM, Expat68 said:

My mate in UK (62 year old) has to pay for his beer cashless with his card

Well, I am not in the UK I live in OZ and I am 76 years old I have not used cash for a number of years, were ever I go, I pay by debit tap and go card except when I go to Thailand for holidays, I take cash which I withdraw at the local ATM in my city because I get a better exchange rate in Thailand than I get in my country. So, I am cash less.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well, I am not in the UK I live in OZ and I am 76 years old I have not used cash for a number of years, were ever I go, I pay by debit tap and go card except when I go to Thailand for holidays, I take cash which I withdraw at the local ATM in my city because I get a better exchange rate in Thailand than I get in my country. So, I am cash less.

So, let's say someone like you is visiting some place far from a bank and you lose your card for any one of a dozen reasons. How do you pay for anything?

PS I always have my cash in more than one place, so the chance of it all getting lost is minimal.

My memory is so bad I could use the card and leave it behind.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

People that want to go cashless, IMO never think about things like power cuts. No power how does the shop's reader work? Or, the card gets blocked for some reason. My father had his card eaten by an ATM on a Saturday and had to wait till Monday to get any money.

Life is never perfect and bad stuff happens.

Power cuts don't affect my mobile phone.

Promptpay is widely used and pays their mobile number (not their cash till).

The phone towers have backup power supplies.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You want Big Brother knowing everything you do?

Who really wants to know that I went to ASDA tonight and got myself a few beers ?

Even my facebook friends get bored about my posts , I really don't think that "Big Brother " would take any interest in my life .

I had a KFC today and bought a new microwave oven 

Who is concerned about that ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

You  will complain when your rights are infringed upon. You will gnash your teeth and wail ....'oh why was I a simpleton that allowed it to happen gladly without a complaint' . Even if it is convenient don't ever surrender you rights and privacy to banks and governments. Look at China... cashless and accounts are stopped at the press of a computer button.

I like this guy. well worth a listen to, watch a few of his vlogs

Hope I'm allowed to post the link.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BraxMe

Actually what we buy won't be tracked by a human- it will be AI using algorithms, and what could possibly go wrong with that?

Just because you live under an OK government at the moment doesn't mean that in 10 years time it's not like a Chinese government, and then you might have something to worry about, even if it was something you posted 10 years ago on TVF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, huangnon said:

You simply do not have actual money or personal wealth with a (centralized) digital currency. It's just digits on a computer screen that can be erased, debited (based on perceived social infractions), or credited at the will of the bank or Govt.

Be a good citizen, or else.

And you believe that.....laughable....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

And you believe that.....laughable....

Ok, please explain how you think how a digital currency will benefit us?

Just remember that this isn't the first time that a Govt has confiscated personal wealth:

On April 5, 1933, the president signed Executive Order 6102. It was touted as a measure to stop gold hoarding, but it was in reality, a massive gold confiscation scheme. The order required private citizens, partnerships, associations and corporations to turn in all but small amounts of gold to the Federal Reserve in exchange for $20.67 per ounce.

The executive order was one of several steps Roosevelt took toward ending the gold standard in the US.

https://schiffgold.com/key-gold-news/the-great-government-gold-heist-of-1933/

18 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Ok, please explain how you think how a digital currency will benefit us?

Just remember that this isn't the first time that a Govt has confiscated personal wealth:

https://schiffgold.com/key-gold-news/the-great-government-gold-heist-of-1933/

We're they given money for their gold. If so the wealth they had did not dissappear now did it. 

Digital currency is already being used by many, it is called crypto currency and many spend it daily as well as earning interest on what they have staked.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

We're they given money for their gold. If so the wealth they had did not dissappear now did it. 

Digital currency is already being used by many, it is called crypto currency and many spend it daily as well as earning interest on what they have staked.

They were given money at much lower value than the gold was worth. Basically a bailout for the Federal Reserve at that time, and private gold ownership was banned until the 70's. Australia and UK did the same also.

I am aware of crypto, thanks. Decentralized currency is fine by me, but replacing cash with a centralized digital currency is a disaster for financial freedom, imo.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Who really wants to know that I went to ASDA tonight and got myself a few beers ?

Even my facebook friends get bored about my posts , I really don't think that "Big Brother " would take any interest in my life .

I had a KFC today and bought a new microwave oven 

Who is concerned about that ?

That's not the the point. Even if you are boring - don't get swept along like a nice little obedient sheep. There is a big reason banks and governments like a sleeping, trusting Joe. They want power over you - even if your are Mr Boring.

• Haha 1