Bank of Thailand moves against cash and the US dollar in a plan to reduce cash in half by 2026

webfact

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can't say I'm that bothered, my shopping isn't that interesting.

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

In China, you have to get an okay from a QR code before you can travel, shop, do just about anything.

Only important when you go shopping with your bar girl ??

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Crypto is nosediving right now - not much better than a Ponzi scheme. I am glad I never went there

Yep, just as the FTX bombed, the Fed announces a new CBDC.

Coincidence, surely? ????

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York and major banks will launch a three-month test of a digital dollar in hopes of studying its feasibility.

The initiative was announced by the regional Federal Reserve bank and nearly a dozen financial institutions on Tuesday. A news release referred to the experiment as a “proof-of-concept project” in which the banks will work with the Fed’s New York Innovation Center to simulate digital money representing the deposits of their own customers and settle them through simulated Fed reserves on a distributed ledger.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/fed-banks-digital-dollar-test

9 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Crypto is nosediving right now - not much better than a Ponzi scheme. I am glad I never went there

Keep believing that......I am still up and over the years have collected my fair share of profits. It's how I bought my house and my condo.

19 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Yep, just as the FTX bombed, the Fed announces a new CBDC.

Coincidence, surely? ????

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/fed-banks-digital-dollar-test

A crypto by another name is all it is, just like China's digital Won.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Keep believing that......I am still up and over the years have collected my fair share of profits. It's how I bought my house and my condo.

Good for you and so many others. But it is NOT the case now, where it matters! Not funny in my mind! Did you watch the video?

On 11/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, Sydebolle said:

............... all the while they've just killed all non-Thai PayPal customers in Thailand; makes perfect sense! 

I am not sure if they have killed all the non Thai PayPal accounts.

I got this email this morning and it seems to tell me that my current account will be closed next month, but I can apply for a new account.

Not that it bothers me as I don't use it anyway.

Open a new account to use PayPal

We're relaunching our services in Thailand and noticed that your account's been inactive for more than 2 years.

Unfortunately, we're unable to transfer your inactive account to PayPal Thailand. This means that starting on 16 December, 2022 you'll no longer be able to use your existing account.

Here's what you can do next:

Spend any remaining funds in your account up until 15 December, 2022 or withdraw them at any time
Close your existing PayPal account
Open a new PayPal Thailand account
For more info, visit our PayPal Thailand Relaunch FAQs.

4 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

In China, you have to get an okay from a QR code before you can travel, shop, do just about anything.

The last time I looked out this morning I was still in Thailand, and not China, which oddly enough is what the thread is about.

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Maybe you don't take your phone everywhere but the vast majority do, even taking it into the toilet, taking it to bed.. Just about everybody is already "tied" to their device. Not an inconvenience at all it seems, to use it for making payments wherever they go. 

I have only one possible issue, that is if I encounter somewhere that refuses cash and for some reason my phone can't do the job. But I have yet to experience it. 

Smart phones are certainly smarter than many people. 

My mobile stays on my desk where it belongs. I control it, it does not control me. 

The only time it goes with me is if I leave the house.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The last time I looked out this morning I was still in Thailand, and not China, which oddly enough is what the thread is about.

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This will likely never happen here. How much of the economy is off the books, and under ground? And will they be able to make the system more efficient? I have stood in line many times while someone fools around with their phone for 5 minutes trying to pay. It then takes me 6 seconds to complete a cash transaction. I always carry plenty of cash. Cash is king. Cash rules. 

That's exactly what they want to get rid of, all those aspects of the underground economy that they don't control. It doesn't matter that you like cash. Modern governments don't care what its citizens want. They only care about what expands their power base. QR codes, digital payment systems, digital I.D's. Thailand has already tried to implement most of these things, it's just that their level of technology at the government level isn't very good .  But that's the direction modern societes are moving in. The motto of the Great Reset: You will own nothing and you will have no privacy but you will be happy.

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This will likely never happen here. How much of the economy is off the books, and under ground? And will they be able to make the system more efficient? I have stood in line many times while someone fools around with their phone for 5 minutes trying to pay. It then takes me 6 seconds to complete a cash transaction. I always carry plenty of cash. Cash is king. Cash rules. 

You're me man !!!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not true at all.

Most of my bills are paid through internet banking and I use my debit card to withdraw cash from the ATM for everything else.

My smart phone is simply a mobile phone.

If everything you do from accessing the Internet to all your financial services are becoming dependent on that damn phone, it is because YOU choose to do it and no other reason.

Now. What happens if QR codes become ubiquitous? If cashless stores become the norm? If two-factor authentication using a phone becomes compulsory? If you need some form of digital payment system to make simple payments?  Maybe this won't happen for 5 or 10 years but this is certainly where we're headed. The Thai government just announced it.

1 minute ago, jaywalker2 said:

Now. What happens if QR codes become ubiquitous? If cashless stores become the norm? If two-factor authentication using a phone becomes compulsory? If you need some form of digital payment system to make simple payments?  Maybe this won't happen for 5 or 10 years but this is certainly where we're headed. The Thai government just announced it.

I expect that we will survive out in rural Thailand. It is you city folk that need to worry.

5 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

That's not the the point. Even if you are boring - don't get swept along like a nice little obedient sheep. There is a big reason banks and governments like a sleeping, trusting Joe. They want power over you - even if your are Mr Boring.

The next time I go outside, I will avoid walking past banks , I will walk along the backstreets , I dont want those banks watching what I am doing 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

The QR code payment system is the best thing since sliced bread. I don’t ever need to go the bank to deposit or to withdraw money. There is no chance my staff can “lose” the money from a job they have done (gardening services). I can balance the books every night without having to touch used and sometimes soiled bank notes.

4 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

They also announced a traffic safety campaign, a desire for transparency, a willingness to hand over power 6 years ago, freedom to protest, masks no longer bring required, policies to clean up the air, and countless other things that never happened. 

Nothing they say can be relied upon. This is just another pipe dream. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Has it been said yet ,why not use debit cards,as UK members know,at the till one swipe of your card job done,with a set limit on your card.

The Thai system of this QR codes at the till is nothing but a pain in the backside.

For debit cards, you would need a card reader as well as some form of connection to the bank (landline for eg). How is the vendor in an open air market going to manage this? QR code is much easier.

9 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The QR code payment system is the best thing since sliced bread. I don’t ever need to go the bank to deposit or to withdraw money. There is no chance my staff can “lose” the money from a job they have done (gardening services). I can balance the books every night without having to touch used and sometimes soiled bank notes.

And when big brother stops your account you won't even be able to buy sliced bread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The next time I go outside, I will avoid walking past banks , I will walk along the backstreets , I dont want those banks watching what I am doing 

That's a good boy !! you are (very) slowly catching on. You must have recently changed your cerebral battery ?