US midterms: Republicans narrowly win back the House

Scott

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What, a left wing rag's opinion piece. I'm not reading that the storyline is fiction.

It doesn't matter what you think of the reputation of the rag. If the article doesn't give you any pause for thought it would call into question your critical thinking skills. Or do you have a such a biblical fervor going on that you would believe anything aligning with your world view? The movie comes from among the least reputable sources for truth in politics.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO intentional from the founding fathers. They feared a government grown too powerful, so made it possible for the people to divide the government and restrict the power of government, so IMO the system they designed is working.

One has to remember they overthrew a powerful king and had no desire to see new "kings" in the USA.

The Founding Fathers did not anticipate two party politics, or parties in general.  They assumed the voters would be divided into factions and that compromise candidates would rise to the top.

If the Founding Fathers had anticipated the rise of two party politics they would have come up with a different system.

Numerous off-topic, baiting, bickering, troll posts and replies have been removed.  Continued discussion of such off topic subjects as Hunter Biden  and making one line, troll posts will earn suspensions.  

16 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Careful what you wish for. Liz Cheney may replace Nancy as minority speaker. Under House rule, anyone can be chosen as speaker. That will make Rep's slim House majority more precarious to manage and vote as a unified team with more factions with different views. 

I don't think so

https://ballotpedia.org/Liz_Cheney

Cheney (Republican Party) ran for re-election to the U.S. House to represent Wyoming's At-Large Congressional District. She lost in the Republican primary on August 16, 2022.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/28/politics/liz-cheney-political-future-endorsement/index.html

Wyoming Republican Rep. Liz Cheney will be leaving Congress soon,

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

Must be fantastic to live in a bubble that is happy when you're party has no real policies only objective is to block everything the dems may put forward irrelevant if its good for country or not.The Donald had the trifecta and was he'll bent on removing Obama care and there replacement was its going to be great.wait wait wait its going to be better than anything just  wait I will reveal new plan day after I release my tax returns we just need to cancel Obama care coz it does not have my name on it .

Thank you for your post.

Yes, blocking Biden's agenda is enough- indeed fantastic.

Perhaps you can stick to the topic though. It's not about 5 or 6 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, TKDfella said:

This is a genuine question (I am not American). I heard a few times on various news channels that if both Pres. Biden and VP Harris could not be President then the  Speaker of the House is next in line. Does this still apply if the Speaker is a Republican ?

Why not? The president doesn't have to be the same party as the majority in congress.

9 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Amd that's exactly the problem! America doesn't get <deleted> done because the opposing parties always block each other on principle instead of finding and implementing what's best for the nation!

Not always. After Clinton survived the scandal he co operated with the GOP and they got stuff done.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why not? The president doesn't have to be the same party as the majority in congress.

No, but opposite to the to elected President's Party. I was just wondering that's all. I don't the rules of American politics in such emergency situations.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, blocking Biden's agenda is enough- indeed fantastic.

Perhaps you can stick to the topic though. It's not about 5 or 6 years ago.

90% of both parties are same people in senate and house during trumph time so please enlighten us all unless you was a recipient of the tax cut for the rich? Which policies did they implement that improved most peoples lives ? History is a bitch that reveals when it comes to fiscal responsibility it is in real terms usually the Republicans that rack up most debt.Usually giving to donors in big way I think America is rich enough to ban all lobby groups on both sides so no politician is either beholden or seen to be beholden to any outside group.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

90% of both parties are same people in senate and house during trumph time so please enlighten us all unless you was a recipient of the tax cut for the rich? Which policies did they implement that improved most peoples lives ? History is a bitch that reveals when it comes to fiscal responsibility it is in real terms usually the Republicans that rack up most debt.Usually giving to donors in big way I think America is rich enough to ban all lobby groups on both sides so no politician is either beholden or seen to be beholden to any outside group.

Also, which party wants to cut back on Social Security and Medicare?

• Thumbs Up 1

On Friday, writing for his blog, liberal filmmaker Michael Moore — one of the few analysts to predict Republicans would not have a blowout win in the 2022 midterm elections — forecast that the GOP is "imploding" — and that their new, razor-thin majority in the House is a "consolation prize" for losing the bigger fight for America.

"How rare is it when the so-called winners (barely, of the House of Representatives) are actually considered a bunch of losers?! (Think Houston Astros, 2017 — won the World Series but forever known as a bunch of cheaters. Ouch.)" wrote Moore. "That’s where the Republicans are at today."

https://www.rawstory.com/michael-moore-the-gop-is-imploding-and-the-house-is-their-consolation-prize/

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, Dave0206 said:

What are you on about? Did I say anything about when Trump was in power?

I agree that lobbyists should be banned as should be politicians taking jobs with companies that benefited during their time in Congress.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my fav has won her election!

Another feather in the cap for the republic !

Democrat Adam Frisch Concedes To Republican Lauren Boebert In Unexpectedly Close House Race

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/11/18/democrat-adam-frisch-concedes-to-republican-lauren-boebert-in-unexpectedly-close-house-race/?sh=24eb12c06dfe

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Editorial: Congress needs some toddler-proofing before the GOP House majority takes power

Just as it’s a good idea to child-proof a home before having toddlers over for a birthday party, congressional Democrats should be doing what they can during the current lame-duck session to prepare for the incoming Republican House majority — a crowd that has literally announced its intention to threaten America’s fiscal stability, block election reforms and abandon Ukraine. The current Democratic majority, working with whatever responsible Republicans they can get on board, can extremist-proof Congress in some important ways between now and January.

https://www.stltoday.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-congress-needs-some-toddler-proofing-before-the-gop-house-majority-takes-power/article_12a62e41-0606-5d53-97e0-d9dd2ce3475d.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1