UK faces biggest fall in living standards on record

Scott

On 11/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, Caldera said:

Regular Brits have always looked poor to me due to their bad teeth, compared with European mainlanders that is. Will things get even worse?

As a Brit, I've never bothered about straight looking teeth.

It's an American obsession.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

There is only one guarantee in financial investments, the fees.

The only thing guaranteed by keeping your money in the bank is losing it to inflation.

Your mealtickets are going to zero.

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

The only thing guaranteed by keeping your money in the bank is losing it to inflation.

Cash is a depreciating asset over time but most of the alternatives this year have been loss making assets, equities and bonds in particular. I think there are times when it's right to go into cash and this year was one of them.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Where is the best place to keep money ?

Productive assets, obviously.

Wait, you didn't think the best thing to do with your money is to give it to the bank so they can lend it out at 10% return for themselves and then give you virtually no interest. ????

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

Wait, you didn't think the best thing to do with your money is to give it to the bank so they can lend it out at 10% return for themselves and then give you virtually no interest. ????

You are guaranteed interest payments when money is in a bank , where else can you put the money where its guaranteed you will get your money back with interest ?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, 2009 said:

I do. At least I know my money won't vanish.

BTW, with increased interest rates I'll be getting more interest from bank and as I don't have debt I'll be winning on that.

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

I lost more on travel insurance I never needed than any amount lost by inflation on savings.

Now I don't need travel insurance I'll be winning.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are guaranteed interest payments when money is in a bank , where else can you put the money where its guaranteed you will get your money back with interest ?

How much interest do you get?

That's the question.

And to answer your question: rental properties virtually guarantee a return on investment. Pretty hard to lose money buying a property to rent out.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Millions never invest in the stock market and are financially secure. Conversly, the only person I knew that did invest on it lost everything.

Oh yeah, like the millions in the UK who can't turn their heating on and are sitting in the homes now with jackets on.

Yeah, right.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I do. At least I know my money won't vanish.

BTW, with increased interest rates I'll be getting more interest from bank and as I don't have debt I'll be winning on that.

Ever heard of inflation? Vanish.

And you know your expenses don't end when your ability to work stops.

Your money makes money for the bank. Only they win. Your interest isn't more than inflation now, you are still losing 

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lost more on travel insurance I never needed than any amount lost by inflation on savings.

Now I don't need travel insurance I'll be winning.

There's no logic here.

You don't need insurance, until you have a heart attack abroad. Or get malaria. Or get hit by a car.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 2009 said:

And to answer your question: rental properties virtually guarantee a return on investment. Pretty hard to lose money buying a property to rent out.

That's why so many landlords are selling their houses in NZ is it? Because they were making so much profit? LOL.

My sister used to rent out her house but had to stop as she was losing money at an affordable rent.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's why so many landlords are selling their houses in NZ is it? Because they were making so much profit? LOL.

My sister used to rent out her house but had to stop as she was losing money at an affordable rent.

Guess there's no hope for some people ????

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

And therein lies the problem with residential renting.

Rents need to be affordable, but also homes need to be safe, tenancies need to be secured.

When ‘affordable homes’ moves from being a social issue to a political one, the Government will respond with legislation and regulations.

Whatever the laws and regulations are today they will become more onerous to landlords as time goes bye.

The most obvious being rent controls and assured tenancy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

How much interest do you get?

That's the question.

That's if you have the money to buy a property out right as the mortgage repayments are now taxed and you need to hope the tenants can keep paying rent , because if they stop paying it can take about one year to evict them and will end up costing you a five figure sum .

Many U.K landlords are selling up due to new laws favouring tenants  

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That's if you have the money to buy a property out right as the mortgage repayments are now taxed and you need to hope the tenants can keep paying rent , because if they stop paying it can take about one year to evict them and will end up costing you a five figure sum .

Many U.K landlords are selling up due to new laws favouring tenants  

That's a good point. Things have changed recently.

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Productive assets, for example?

With inflation running at (insert your own number here, I'll call mine 8% or X) at X%, there is no investment that I know that can equal that sort of return, not on any reasonable risk/reward basis.

You'd get that on a rental property (property valuation increase and also rental income)

28 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Net yield? Maybe, many rental yields in the UK are falling. Mine is under 4% currently and there's no borrowings.

Well, property prices have gone up a modest 5% a year in the area I come from over the last decade.

And if you even get 3% yield a year in rental income, then you've got your 8%

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Productive assets, for example?

With inflation running at (insert your own number here, I'll call mine 8% or X) at X%, there is no investment that I know that can equal that sort of return, not on any reasonable risk/reward basis.

There's also the SP500 that is up 50% as of today over the last 5 years (despite having a terrible year so far).

3 minutes ago, 2009 said:

There's also the SP500 that is up 50% as of today over the last 5 years (despite having a terrible year so far).

The question is easier to answer if you go back to include the past 5 years! I've been invested in the S&P for that many years but the past 12 months have been wretched.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Well, property prices have gone up a modest 5% a year in the area I come from over the last decade.

And if you even get 3% yield a year in rental income, then you've got your 8%

Again, this is a timeframe horizon issue. You get 5% if you look backwards, looking forward is likely to be negative.

• Like 1