Any hope of myanmar land border opening in the next 5 weeks?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It applies for Visa Exempt entries and those Entering with a Tourist Visa. 

Not for those entering with a Non-Immigrant visa. 

It is very frustrating that I cannot find an order with the latest regulations on this. About 10 years ago, I read from a source that I suppose I considered reliable at the time that the rules were:

The amounts vary for different visas:
1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
3. Visa on Arrival or Visa Exemption: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

You may be correct that it is now a blanket 20,000 baht per person for tourist visa, visa on arrival or visa exemption (with the requirement having been dropped for transit visa and non immigrant visa) but I wish I could find the official order on this subject. Do you have a link?

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is very frustrating that I cannot find an order with the latest regulations on this. About 10 years ago, I read from a source that I suppose I considered reliable at the time that the rules were:

You may be correct that it is now a blanket 20,000 baht per person for tourist visa, visa on arrival or visa exemption (with the requirement having been dropped for transit visa and non immigrant visa) but I wish I could find the official order on this subject. Do you have a link?

I don't recall any such order being issued. 

If you look a a few embassy and consulates websites you will find that the majority want to see proof you have at least 20k baht in the bank to apply for the visa. That is for proof you have the same amount of money to enter the country.

About the only time immigration wants to see the 20k baht in cash is if they looking for a reason to deny entry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It applies for Visa Exempt entries and those Entering with a Tourist Visa. 

Not for those entering with a Non-Immigrant visa. 

Wrong. The ministerial regulation specifically lists non-immigrant visas as well.

https://rtehanoi.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/46327-announcement-on-the-amount-of-money-that-the-foreigners-must-possess-while-entering-into-the-kingdom-of-thailand?page=5d7de15d15e39c3484001bb9&menu=5d7de15d15e39c3484001bba

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

Thanks. That is nearly identical to what I had saved years ago, except that the announcement fails to mention visa exemption. I guess there must have been a clarification at some point that visa on arrival and visa exemption should be treated in the same manner.

Are we quite sure that a later announcement has not changed these regulations?

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Thanks. That is nearly identical to what I had saved years ago, except that the announcement fails to mention visa exemption. I guess there must have been a clarification at some point that visa on arrival and visa exemption should be treated in the same manner.

Are we quite sure that a later announcement has not changed these regulations?

I went through the steps on the IATA website earlier and got this for a visa exempt entry.

image.png.5d885c3552400837c68f3f24a1879d6d.png

• Thanks 1

So 99% I should be Ok even without 20K Baht. I had to show 20K EURO in a german Bank to get the visa. I think I will take the 20K Baht just to be on the ultra safe side.

Thanks for the great info on this subject!

1 hour ago, stat said:

So 99% I should be Ok even without 20K Baht. I had to show 20K EURO in a german Bank to get the visa. I think I will take the 20K Baht just to be on the ultra safe side.

I think it is 99.999% that you would be OK without the 20k baht. However, it does seem prudent to have the cash, however improbable it might be that the officials would be out to get you. A little paranoia is healthy in cases like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, visabouncer said:

Is it possible to apply for an eVisa online to use a land border crossing?

Not at this time. In the past there were a couple of land border crossings where it could be used.

The e visa website states it can only be used at 2 airports.

See: https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/home/portofentry

• Thanks 1

Re the 20k to show

There were large signs in English right at the foreign entry desks at Mae Sai last time I looked .That border is closed. I sometimes have that amount in Thai or $ but always carry my bank book and a few visa cards. If push came to shove my wife could walk the 5m to teh ATM to "top me up"

I have a non O and in 25 years have never been asked to show cash/onward tickets  nor questioned by any immigration entry officer. I  have been asked by Australian airlines to show visa/onward etc but that is another issue to the OPs concern.

I may not be Saville Row but I do not wear flip flops shorts or similar 'casual' attire sported by many older gentlemen who wish to appear youthful or as once used "with it".

I very much doubt a person with a valid visa who reasonably dressed, calm , polite will have any issues. I do always carry a cell  phone with wife and lawyers number as not fluent Thai speaker yet!

• Thanks 1