American Passport Renewal in Thailand

When you renew a US passport, you have no choice but to give them your current passport while the new one is being issued which can be up to 9 weeks at the moment.  Not only can you not travel during this time, you're also presented with other problems even just staying in the same country.  So what do you do for 9 weeks without a passport in Thailand?   

Could someone advise what to do?   Do you need to hide from the thai cops for 9 weeks?   How do you live in Thailand without one since as a foreigner you basically need it for any commercial, hotel, bank or government transaction that you need to do?

Any ideas? 

Edited by Time Traveller

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

IF in TH, takes 2-3 weeks turn around.  Did mine about 2 months ago, and got it back < 3 weeks as others have also.   Simple, easy, fast.

I guess 3 weeks is not terrible,  but did you get asked for it from anyone during that time?  Even simple over the counter banking  or billing issues want to see your passport. 

I have  Pink ID & DL, didn't need either, as best to plan when to renew, during a period when you won't need it.  I did just after my 90 day pulse check, and didn't need any bank services, not that I need PP for them.  Never use my PP for hotels anyway.

Can't remember last time someone asked me for my PP.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

I guess 3 weeks is not terrible,  but did you get asked for it from anyone during that time?  Even simple over the counter banking  or billing issues want to see your passport. 

I got mine in June and it took about 3 weeks to get the new one.

I made sure I had no need to do anything that required my passport while it was being done.

I was not asked for passport while waiting for the new one. I made a copy of my old passport showing the photo page and my most recent extension stamp if it was needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I got mine in June and it took about 3 weeks to get the new one.

I made sure I had no need to do anything that required my passport while it was being done.

I was not asked for passport while waiting for the new one. I made a copy of my old passport showing the photo page and my most recent extension stamp if it was needed.

good idea, making copies should work along with a Thai Drivers License for physical ID proof if needed 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

good idea, making copies should work along with a Thai Drivers License for physical ID proof if needed 

some people make a habit of going to a photo shop and getting a miniature laminated copy of their passport photo page and current permitted to stay stamp.

i've done it once before and think it's a good idea but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it this trip (been here almost a year on a 'retirement visa' ????

Edited by Lemsta69

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

some people make a habit of going to a photo shop and getting a miniature laminated copy of their passport photo page and current permitted to stay stamp.

i've done it once before and think it's a good idea but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it this trip (been here almost a year on a 'retirement visa' ????

I'm thinking  about getting the passport card along with the passport book, that way it can be used next time the book needs returning for renewal. But it still doesn't solve the problem of international travel while waiting for new passport book 

3 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

But it still doesn't solve the problem of international travel while waiting for new passport book

Yeah I don't think there's anything you can do about that. I only suggested that laminated card option as it is more convenient than paper copies and you don't have to hand your phone over to anyone should you keep photos of your PP on it.

The only drawback is where to find a blessed shop that can do it! ????

Been here for 25 years, only asked for my passport in banks (I provide a copy of my photo page) and immigration.

Police never seem to have a problem with Thai driver's license as ID, yellow housebook and/or pink ID is a bonus.   Again, they've never asked for passport.

I've used pink ID for domestic travel, no problem.

If your passport was in transit and you had to make an emergency trip to the US, I'd guess you could obtain an emergency passport from the embassy

20 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

If your passport was in transit and you had to make an emergency trip to the US, I'd guess you could obtain an emergency passport from the embassy

The embassy keeps the old passport. It is not sent to the US. The application is sent online to the passport center in the US.

If needed you could get it from them if needed.

On 11/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, Time Traveller said:

I guess 3 weeks is not terrible,

You and @andycan both thank your lucky stars that you're not Brits! Those unfortunates on here who, like myself, are have been told to expect a wait of at least 11 weeks for our new passports from the UK (like I am doing at the moment)! While we are allowed to retain our old passports for ID purposes, we are unable to use them for foreign travel in the meantime.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1