Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan 8th December

Joeski

I went to a few FMPs in my time, so my opinion based on experienece:

No need to stay in Hat Rin, and the hotels there are IMO a scam. Before covid some required extended time there before and after the party.

Most resorts elsewhere provided transport to and from the party. If the Had Rin Queen is still operating can stay on Samui and go over for 24 hours.

My advice- do NOT use the speedboats from Samui.

When I was staying in N E Phangan I took the coastal ferry down, slept on the beach and ferry back next day.

That time of year best to book resort if you are not familiar with that area.

MY BEST advice is not to do illegal drugs there. The dealers apparently inform the cops who they sold to, and there are usually casualties that took bad drugs. Buying oneself off a drug charge isn't cheap and the cops have 2 years to make up for.

Also, if up for a bit of the other, watch out for the katoeys that look for drunk guys to roll.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Most resorts in the Haad Rin area have a 5-day (nites) minimum booking around FMP dates.

It seems like FMP is back to almost pre-Covid status – I haven't been over there myself after Covid, but my daughter has, and says that it's pretty much back to normal, so book as early as possible, especially of you wish to stay on the Sunrise Beach-side...????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Most resorts in the Haad Rin area have a 5-day (nites) minimum booking around FMP dates.

As khunPer states, many resorts have a minimum stay.

Our villas are also busy during the FMP because most villa owners only ask for a 2 or 3 night minimum stay.

• Like 2

I'm living on KPN nowadays.  I seem to see more foreigners than locals, with the foreigners fitting into the following categories:

- Young Western couples, many Russians, fit, tanned

- Young Western couples who look like they haven't had a bath in a month and appear to be on Planet Mars (ie stoned out of their minds)

- Older Western couples who look like they are in a hippy timewarp from the 60's.

- Sensible Western, professional and single gentlemen (that's me!)

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's because you're living on a hippie-paradise-island, which got inhabited by foreigners back in the late 1970s, when there were living about 200 Thai nationals on the island. Especially watching the full Moon rise on the so-called Sunrise Beach in uninhabited Haad Rin – you could only get there by long-tail boat, or walking over the mountains, or in low tide walking in water by the cliffs – but one afternoon in the late 70s, which more precise was in 1977, the police in Lamai became too interested in the hippie's mushroom shakes, so they decided to celebrate Xmas and young Joe's birthday on the beach of Haad Rin instead and watch the moon rise.

Guitars, bonfires and lots of irritating sand-flies; however, it was such a good event that they decided to meet again next full Moon and repeat it – and so they have done ever since...:whistling:

Some of the hippies from that time are still living on Phangan and live like like not much had changed, smoking their so-called Bob Marley-cigarettes. Others of the original hippies and later arrived changed "business plan" and became New Age – you might still find some in a remote bay sitting meditating.

Roads and progress changed Phangan, and from 1989 the parties at Sunrise Beach, where bungalows had popped up and a dirt road over the hills made entrance easier, were organized events and Full Moon Party became a worldwide trademark with thousands and young people of both age and mind are getting together in Haad Rin every 4th week. Furthermore, mind the number of high-end yoga- and health resorts, the New Age-hippies have not inhabited the island in vain...:thumbsup:

Phangan also became a paradise for so-called digital migrants – some of the are not so "migrant" after visiting Phangan – and other adventurers, perhaps in search of the original secret "beach" from the novel of the same name, that is hidden somewhere out there on one of the islands in Ang Thong Marine Park; of course together with the fields with weed for quite a number of additional Bob Marley-cigarettes – to min knowledge, the haven't yet found "The Beach", or they might just keep it secret...:annoyed:

The Russians came later to the island – both Phangan and Samui – mainly after the millennium, at the moment quite understanding that numerous of young fit Russian men relaxes there.

And then there might be some "sensible Western, professional and single gentlemen", as you say and seems to have noticed – have you ever considered to join a Full Moon Paty, you might even meet some quite exiting people there; I did...????

28)w150927_DSC03391e_arrival-of-a-prophet.jpg.f835cb588934cc58b9dcdd5fe5a729a6.jpg

KhunPer out of all the posts i have read on this forum, this has got to be my favourite. This history of Koh Phangan. Awesome Post!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm living on KPN nowadays.  I seem to see more foreigners than locals, with the foreigners fitting into the following categories:

- Young Western couples who look like they haven't had a bath in a month and appear to be on Planet Mars (ie stoned out of their minds)

- Older Western couples who look like they are in a hippy timewarp from the 60's.

Simon do you class yourself as sensible before or after your mushroom shake?

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

I once saw one of these Hippy Kings on the airport link shuttle in Bangkok,whatever is considered ‘cool’ on the islands just looked absolutely ridiculous in Krung Thep he looked like an utter halfwit lost in time!

Thongs of drunken Aussies and Russians the women of the former especially pumped up with more testosterone than a Bull Shark,wild horses couldn’t drag me to one of these parties and I used to live in Ibiza!

The predatory RTP ruin most activities in Thailand for me,they actively hunt tourists to extort money from it baffles me why so many people bother going there after all the bad stories?

High on magic mushrooms with Sergeant Somchai demanding 100,000 Baht from you so you ‘no go to prison Big Tiger Bangkok’ has to be anyone’s idea of Hell on Earth,doesn’t it?