Antibiotikum (Antibiotiks) for bad cough etc.

daviddunham

The product name is not important. Important is the kind of antibiotic like Amoxicillin, Azithromyzin. You get them under different brand names but also often produced from local pharma companies - always ask for a local product since they are much cheaper. Normally you get them here without a prescription. If not ask a different pharmacy - one of the smaller ones. In the bigger ones you might not even get Aspirin (anymore) without prescription. 

But anyway - if you are not a medical expert go to a doctor. Could be a simple cough but also a complicated tuberculosis ????. Also some medication can cause cough as side effect. 

• Like 1

Good infos above.

When I was young, I was given antibiotics by my GP all the time and I had developed resistance to most.

At some point only the antibiotics jabs worked. Scary indeed.

Since that time I have not taken much of it but I seemed to have lost the antibiotic resistance.

You'd better figure out what causes your persistent cough.

2 hours ago, garrya said:

Good infos above.

When I was young, I was given antibiotics by my GP all the time and I had developed resistance to most.

At some point only the antibiotics jabs worked. Scary indeed.

Since that time I have not taken much of it but I seemed to have lost the antibiotic resistance.

You'd better figure out what causes your persistent cough.

Unfortunately you have completely misunderstood what "antibiotic resistance" means.

People do not become resistant to antibiotics  - you can neither gain or lose antibiotic resistance as an individual- and this did not happen to you.

When physicians and scientists talk about "antibiotic resistance" they mean that the disease causing pathogens -the bacteria- become antibiotic resistant through mutants that survive an antibiotic course. It is the disease pathogen you get infected by that is resistant, not you!

Explained simply here:

https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/antibiotic-resistance.html

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 12.21.15 pm.png

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, partington said:

Unfortunately you have completely misunderstood what "antibiotic resistance" means.

People do not become resistant to antibiotics  - you can neither gain or lose antibiotic resistance as an individual- and this did not happen to you.

When physicians and scientists talk about "antibiotic resistance" they mean that the disease causing pathogens -the bacteria- become antibiotic resistant through mutants that survive an antibiotic course. It is the disease pathogen you get infected by that is resistant, not you!

Explained simply here:

https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/antibiotic-resistance.html

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 12.21.15 pm.png

Ok, let me rephrase. Bacteria, possibly, became resistant to the antibiotics that I was fed with. 

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You can have or develop sensitivity to antibiotics, and thats a different thing. 

Eventually, the same thing when it comes to using antibiotics. They didn't work after a while. Interstingly, after not using anibiotics for over a decade, the same stuff worked again.

23 minutes ago, garrya said:

Eventually, the same thing when it comes to using antibiotics. They didn't work after a while. Interstingly, after not using anibiotics for over a decade, the same stuff worked again.

The resistant ones have been overgrown by the more common not-resistant ones. 

Not unusual.