Elon Musk restores Donald Trump’s Twitter account

Scott

20 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It may be obvious to note it is not ideal to ban, and should be used sparingly, but life isn't black and white and hard decisions have to be made. It would be nice if everyone could hear everyone and come to sensible conclusions or at least conclusions that don't result in harm to others.  But that doesn't seem to happen in some situations.  Sometimes it is about decency too. Rather than watch from the sidelines ask yourself what you would do as decision maker, running a private communication business, about Alex Jones or about Donald Trump fresh from January 6. 

I don't think it was a hard decision at all. I think they were just waiting for an excuse.

What would I do if I ran twit thing? For a start I'd never ever run such a gross thing as a "social media" platform, which I despise, but if I were to be in charge I'd let anything on whatever political side it was from, and only ban personal attacks of any sort, and bad language. If a point of view can't be expressed without making it personal, or using bad language it doesn't deserve to be heard.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think it was a hard decision at all. I think they were just waiting for an excuse.

What would I do if I ran twit thing? For a start I'd never ever run such a gross thing as a "social media" platform, which I despise, but if I were to be in charge I'd let anything on whatever political side it was from, and only ban personal attacks of any sort, and bad language. If a point of view can't be expressed without making it personal, or using bad language it doesn't deserve to be heard.

Interesting (ok let's forget about the indirect claim that censorship was due to the political side of the poster, which has been a lame claim from the right wing for years).

How would assess a polite threat? A polite racist tweet or post? A polite call for violence?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2022 at 6:52 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

These days , some people sit around all day studying the words of Trump , differing people have a differing opinion of what he meant and we sit around discussing them in depth . People used to do that with the Bible , seems like Trump words have taken the place of the Bible .

Trump leading his followers to protest against injustice in the Capitol and then getting Twitter jailed , is rather similar to Biblical stories 

Biden then condemns Trump to his man cave the Mar-a-lago after his public crucifixion outside a Church where he was seen holding a Bible and asking the Lord for guidance during troubled time when his followers tried in vail to keep him at the throne . Trump was condemned to the Mar-a-lago man cave 

Four years later, Trump was resurrected 

Amen 

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Musk is now stiffing Twitter’s business suppliers by refusing g to pay bills. (Sounds familiar).

And there’s bad news about his behaviour at Space-X being increasingly reported.

At risk now is Brand Musk (it has a familiar kind of sound to it).

This has only just gotten started.

Multiple claims, zero links. Any news about Twitters daily user numbers skyrocketting? Any news on proud companies taking the high road and leaving Twitter due to their aversion to free speech and opinions that challenge their world view coming creeping back hoping nobody would  notice?

15 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Multiple claims, zero links. Any news about Twitters daily user numbers skyrocketting? Any news on proud companies taking the high road and leaving Twitter due to their aversion to free speech and opinions that challenge their world view coming creeping back hoping nobody would  notice?

Multiple claims, zero links.”

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is about twitter, she never got banned from twitter. With 13 million followers she makes her statements which many found offensive apparently, She's smart enough to know that, she's been on twitter a long time. You advocate free speech right? She faced the consequences of her free speech

J.K. Rowling Criticized After Tweeting Support for Anti-Transgender Researcher

Ms. Rowling expressed support for a researcher whose views on transgender people were condemned by a court on Wednesday as “incompatible with human dignity.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20220222115249/https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/19/world/europe/jk-rowling-maya-forstater-transgender.html

The UK judicial system is one of the many institutions that has been politicised so that it foists a left wing bias on society. Countless examples of this to anyone who's interested. By the way the topic isn't about twitter - its about Trump being allowed back on Twitter. Your post infers that my comment is off topic - yeah maybe, but it was in response to another poster. Have a nice day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Doowat said:

The UK judicial system is one of the many institutions that has been politicised so that it foists a left wing bias on society. Countless examples of this to anyone who's interested. By the way the topic isn't about twitter - its about Trump being allowed back on Twitter. Your post infers that my comment is off topic - yeah maybe, but it was in response to another poster. Have a nice day. 

The UK judicial system......lol Whats that got to do with my post? Yes the topic is about twitter, a twitter poll and the result of it ie trump being allowed back on, keep up man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The UK judicial system......lol Whats that got to do with my post? Yes the topic is about twitter, a twitter poll and the result of it ie trump being allowed back on, keep up man

You quoted a UK court's comment as part of a critique against my post, to support your counter view.  Thats what its got to do with your post. I think you're the one who needs to 'keep up'. 

11 minutes ago, Doowat said:

You quoted a UK court's comment as part of a critique against my post, to support your counter view.  Thats what its got to do with your post. I think you're the one who needs to 'keep up'. 

Accepted, but my rebuke was clearly:

"This is about twitter, she never got banned from twitter. With 13 million followers she makes her statements which many found offensive apparently, She's smart enough to know that, she's been on twitter a long time. You advocate free speech right? She faced the consequences of her free speech"

Here's a separate link for you that does not include the UK court:

This past weekend, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling brought a lot of criticism on herself with a series of tweets that many read as transphobic. She seemed to have been set off by an article on access to menstrual hygiene supplies during a global pandemic that referenced "people who menstruate."

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/10/873472683/harry-potters-magic-fades-when-his-creator-tweets

Edited by Bkk Brian

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Accepted, but my rebuke was clearly:

"This is about twitter, she never got banned from twitter. With 13 million followers she makes her statements which many found offensive apparently, She's smart enough to know that, she's been on twitter a long time. You advocate free speech right? She faced the consequences of her free speech"

Here's a separate link for you that does not include the UK court:

This past weekend, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling brought a lot of criticism on herself with a series of tweets that many read as transphobic. She seemed to have been set off by an article on access to menstrual hygiene supplies during a global pandemic that referenced "people who menstruate."

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/10/873472683/harry-potters-magic-fades-when-his-creator-tweets

'Brought a lot of criticism on herself....' by whom, though? Almost undoubtedly the usual vocal minority; the terminally outraged, who can't get to grips with facts than run counter to their ideology. If these people want to ram their opinions down the throats of us who just want to he left alone, they're going to get push back. If someone tells me a dog is a duck, I don't care how many people support that view, its still wrong in my book. A dog is is dog. Nice to have a debate with you, by the way. 

11 minutes ago, Doowat said:

'Brought a lot of criticism on herself....' by whom, though? Almost undoubtedly the usual vocal minority; the terminally outraged, who can't get to grips with facts than run counter to their ideology. If these people want to ram their opinions down the throats of us who just want to he left alone, they're going to get push back. If someone tells me a dog is a duck, I don't care how many people support that view, its still wrong in my book. A dog is is dog. Nice to have a debate with you, by the way. 

The whole point being in my post which you fail to comprehend, as much as she had the right through free speech to say those things, she also knew they would be controversial  to a section of the population, she knows how twitter works. Those who were offended  exercised their right to free speech in turn to criticize her. Job done. Thats how free speech works

Edited by Bkk Brian

58 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Didn't The Don get banned from Twitter because he said there were fishy things about the elections?

Something that Obama agreed with. Didn't see him getting cancelled.

Trump was banned because his repeated lies about a stolen election were provoking violence.

Are you referring to Obama telling Congressional leaders in 2016 that Russia was attempting to influence the US election?  That's not the same thing.  I hope you understand that.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Doowat said:

The topic isn’t about the UK judicial system either.