Advice for Motorcycle change of ownership.

Dave Aarons

My friend who is currently in the UK has sold his motorcycle to a Thai lady.

I accompanied her to a local MOT testing station who also provide tax and insurance services and other things, such as change of ownership.

They informed us that Name changes can only be done if the current owner provides a certificate of residence, copy of passport and visa.

As he is unsure when he will return to Thailand, I am interested in any possible solutions to achieve the change of ownership in his absence.

We have the green book and a copy of his passport and we are in the Pattaya area.

No problem for the Thai lady,as long as she has the book she can use the bike and pay tax and have it safety checked.

Just wait for your friend to return and then change ownership.

If you have the book and the bike it is almost the same as owning it,except

you can not sell it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Aarons said:

They informed us that Name changes can only be done if the current owner provides a certificate of residence, copy of passport and visa.

Certificate of residence is *not required for ‘de-registering’ (selling), its only required for registering a vehicle in your name (someone has their wires crossed at the DLT). 

Your friend needs to provide a couple of additional documents: 

1) Greenbook - signed by existing owner

2) Passport Copy (signed)

3) Visa Copy (with exit stamp) (Signed)

4) Transfer of vehicle form (signed)

5) 9Signed) Power of Attorney (to transfer ownership of motorcycle ) 

The threads below have some info (forms required on the ’selling motorcycle while abroad’ thread)

https://aseannow.com/topic/928104-how-exactly-do-you-fill-in-the-power-of-attorney-form-for-transferring-a-motorcycle-or-car/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1103983-selling-motorbike-while-abroad/

*There is a lot of misinformation out there - some DLT’s may ask for the proof of address when selling a vehicle, but its not needed - they’re just covering their bases. 

I’ve sold 2 motorcycles and 5 cars - mostly while not present. 

I did not need to provide proof of address when selling any of them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is good to know and I believe you. And yet, recent experience of a pal.. he needed 2xCORs when he bought a new vehicle, and sold his old one (Banglamung). Just asking for things unnecessarily, foreign factor? 

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is good to know and I believe you. And yet, recent experience of a pal.. he needed 2xCORs when he bought a new vehicle, and sold his old one (Banglamung). Just asking for things unnecessarily, foreign factor? 

Thats when you put your foot down (politely) and suggest that it isn’t... 

I suspect various reasons why they may ask for documents not needed:

- In many cases such as this the person we are dealing with do not know their own regulations, they have just copied what their mate (colleague) was doing etc so these legacy assumptions get passed down. 

- In other cases, they simply do not know and ask for everything they can think of to ensure they have covered their bases, they don’t want to get into trouble. 

------

I’ve had similar issues before - not with DLT but with Immigration on arrival.

1) 5 yr Elite Visa / 2) Extension of stay based on Non-Imm B (I’d been working).

The work had ended (while I was out of the country) so no chance to cancel WP etc.

Extension of stay expiring day after I returned. 

Immigration officer wanted to stamp me in for 1 day (I’d have to fly out and re-enter on my Elite Visa). I protested and called a supervisor across, supervisor sided with Immi officer.

I still protested, no way was this right - Senior lady came out and said of course I could be stamped in on my Elite Visa....  The two other Immi officers simply didn’t know what to do so made their own minds up - they were wrong.

Thus: if we don’t get a decision which seems right from an official source (i.e. DLT clerk or Imm officer) its perfectly ok to press and politely question that.

I this case it makes no sense whatsoever that proof of address is needed to sell - there is nothing being registered in your name. The opposite is happening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I this case it makes no sense whatsoever that proof of address is needed to sell - there is nothing being registered in your name. The opposite is happening. 

Totally agree, when I purchased a second-hand bike the Thai seller didn't provide any proof of address.

When I sold the bike, just over a week ago, I was asked to show proof of my address, which I did and it was then handed back to me without a copy being taken. Same thing with my passport. Made no sense to me to ask for both items and then not take a copy of them.