space age interior?

1FinickyOne

10 hours ago, dddave said:

Peugeot are known as the most comfortable non-luxury automobiles.  Years ago I had a 404 and it was the most comfortable car I ever owned.

I owned 3 'Pugs' gorgeous cars ... not performance vehicles as far as speed was concerned but glorious ride. My dad owned a few also (that's how I ended up with mine). He told me as a P plate driver that Peugeots were the poor mans Mercedes ... he wasn't wrong. Thanks dad I love you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a Benz man (have been for about 15 years or so). From 30 year to 5 year old, to new cars. I guess interior preference is like most things up to personal likes and dislikes. 

I prefer the Benz interiors. The new models are vastly improved upon from previous generations and to me almost beyond belief. Seats are much more comfortable in their GLE range than previous SUV offerings.

Some folks love B'mmers. I find them a tab too complex in operation but that's just me. I like an elegance to both exterior and interior with not too much bling. Audis have beautiful interiors but a bit too austere for me.

The other Euro marques have their styles. I find Italian cars a tad more flamboyant in their interiors with German cars less so. Honda's are an elegantly interior'd vehicle and very well put together. Their exteriors I am not always enamoured with though (bit too Transformer-like for me). I have the same feeling about Lexus. Yeah I know they are great cars but paying 200K AUD for a Japanese car unless its a super-sports-car NSX or something just doesn't work for me and my Euro-centric tastes lol ????.

I'm talking but SUV, sedan, and 2 seater sports cars when I give my experience preferences.

As for driving any vehicle on the terrible Thai roads, I had to really research and compare in a practical way what I bought (not renting as when just a short term visitor) but as a retiree here.

Owning a car that can actually be driven here that's tough enough to cope i.e. you can drive away on a weekend for example here in a Porsche and not destroy your skirts and undercarriage but not in some other sports cars.

Comfort, ease of operation, handling, ergonomics, vision, economy for vehicle size, and decent power is a high priority for me (Benz excel in these areas).

The MBUX (Benz) I.T. system is stellar in features and performance and is, I'm told, way in front to of other marques. It was a huge leap in performance than the old I.T. system I was used to. It does almost everything except tell me I'm 'hansum man' and offer me gaffee buran and rub-me-up as I drive around haha ???? The heads-up and assist features are insanely good, the tech in the cruise control and warnings for speed zones etc is a flawless interface and so advanced yet non intrusive while driving.

I ride in the 'usual suspects' Asian stable of manufacturers and they seem from my passenger seat pretty good for the investment but not a patch on a Euro marque car for interiors, operation, and features.

I might be wrong here (as far as newer generation cheaper cars) but the tolerances in cheaper cars and the materials used don't last as well and maintain their plushness and 'tightness'. Go drive a 20 year Benz that's been well looked after and it will be equal to the best drive you've ever had (unless you know such cars as your normal ride).

The Asian makers are making some very good cars for the price these days. I know a fella I play golf with, he bought the top of the line Haval SUV with every extra he could get a month or so back ... its a nice beastie inside and rides very well (looks very European inside and out). I wonder how tight, smooth and quiet it will be in 10 years though?! He's well pleased so far, saying the dealership is taking wonderful care of him.

The new KIA's SUV look very nice and has all the bells and whistles. A real estate agent I know has one and she loves hers.

The sounds e.g. door, seatbelt etc warnings in Asian made cars are annoying to me and, as far as I can see, like all cheaper cars they are not engineered as subtly in form and function as Euro marques.

Edited by Tropposurfer

10 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:
11 hours ago, dddave said:

Peugeot are known as the most comfortable non-luxury automobiles.  Years ago I had a 404 and it was the most comfortable car I ever owned.

What about service in the hinterlands? 

Why worry, they haven't produced that car for 47 years.  Having said that, you could use one of the countrywide Peugeot service centres.

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

you could use one of the countrywide Peugeot service centres.

Peugeot? "Countrywide"? Dream on. Apart from a handful in Bangkok, there's the extensive choice of Pattaya, Phuket, Ubon, Hat Yai, ... er, that's it.

10 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Peugeot? "Countrywide"? Dream on. Apart from a handful in Bangkok, there's the extensive choice of Pattaya, Phuket, Ubon, Hat Yai, ... er, that's it.

Yes, as I said, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Ubon, Hat Yai,  countrywide, I didn't say that there are hundreds of them.  

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, as I said, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Ubon, Hat Yai,  countrywide, I didn't say that there are hundreds of them.  

Yes, yes. Right. People in the North of Thailand are particularly well served by your "countrywide" network ...

As for a comfortable interior, leather seats, walnut trim and a mini-bar would do it for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never owned one, but the most comfortable car I ever rode in was a Citroen Pallas, it was like floating on a cloud.

I owned one , a C4 Pallas Sedan , certainly was very nice inside but boasted the badly thought out stationary centre of the steering wheel, widely acclaimed as a bad idea !!

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Far from space age, but my 1950 Buick Special was like sitting on the living room sofa while driving ... along with other activities.  Those cars where made for teens losing their virginity.  

my dad had a Lincoln in the 70s that was amazing..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

my dad had a Lincoln in the 70s that was amazing..

I also had a 1980 Coup DeVille ... roomy ????

Now, everything is 'cookie cutters', no styling at all.

Take the badges off, and you wouldn't be able to tell the make & model of most cars now, if lined up together.

As an aside.... Back in the 70's I had the privilege of pleasure driving a Rolls for short term use (Mr Folgers asked me to as it wasn't being driven enough)....

To this day that's been the most "glove" like feeling driving a car....It felt like driving a surprisingly responsive cloud....

It's not a modern car like being discussed, but this thread brought back the memory....

For a few years I was fortunate enough to live in an area way above my league but mixed socially with & got along with the elite of the elite..... Household names....

Undoubtedly, they are still there....

• Love It 1

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I also had a 1980 Coup DeVille ... roomy ????

Now, everything is 'cookie cutters', no styling at all.

Take the badges off, and you wouldn't be able to tell the make & model of most cars now, if lined up together.

Yes, I have found that too.. near all cars look the same... 

For me, there are cars and pick-ups and SUV's those those mostly look like cars too..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

so, what kind of car is that? and why is the steering wheel on the wrong side? 

Ironically, I tried flipping the image so that the wheel was on the right side (both right spatially, and right as a synonym for correct), but then the name of the car written on it is backwards, so I left it on the wrong side to ease identification. 

32 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But maybe he knows Juan Valdez? Which coffee company was that? 

Was it Chock Full of Nuts - - the heavenly coffee? And why nuts? Wasn't it beans? 

Juan Valdez was Columbian coffee....

I'm not sure who the other lines are for....

Oddly enough I don't drink coffee but knew the Folgers & the Hills (Reuben 3).....

• Thanks 1