Pattaya Traffic Police crackdown on Bolt drivers

Social Media

36 minutes ago, xkkpafi said:

Would some kind person tell me what a Bolt driver is? We have never heard of this in Hua Hin. I assume it either has:

Something to do with owning a crossbow

A new PC or woke word that has not made it beyond Pataya

Something to do with running away

Each drier is related to the famous Jamacian sprinter Usain Bolt.

Thanks

You should read other posts before displaying your ignorance.

but at a stretch, read the very first post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Policeman Opens Bolt App on phone and orders a Bolt.

Bolt arrives.

Policeman asks for taxi credentials.

Bolt drive unable to show.

Policeman arrests Bolt driver.

Just like taking candy off a kiddie.

Note to Bolt: Don't pick up any fares from "Beach Rd and Soi 9"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

Always thought laws are there to control something. No one remembers Uber in Thailand i guess. If taxis are allowed to run without licenses i imagine people would cry about unlicensed taxis. Always complaining. 

Uber was bought out by Grab in Asia which is still in use. I used it here in Hua Hin a few weeks back.

Isn't it available (Grab) all over the country?

I've never heard of this 'Bolt' before so I wonder if it's a regional thing.

12 minutes ago, xkkpafi said:

That is was! Sad there are so many miserable people out there who should try getting a life.

I assumed that if you really did not comprehend the subject matter or content of the forum that you would have googled "Bolt Driver" and therefore not shown to this forum how much you need to get a life before making such a pointless post!

Hence my attempt in my first post at giving you a "let out" by thinking, erroneously as it now transpires, that you were trying to be humorous!

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

More likely where you live is regional. Bolt is in Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.

Yes makes sense, there was no Uber in Hua Hin if I remember correctly but once Grab took over they rolled it out here.

So the question is - does Grab still operate in Pattaya?

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

So the question is - does Grab still operate in Pattaya?

Well they are certainly out and about delivering food, and I still get lots of promotional messages. Just never even consider them as they are far more expensive than Bolt. 

11 hours ago, treetops said:

Grab and Bolt both currently working in Pattaya - I used them both yesterday.  Grab was unusually cheaper on one occasion as Bolt's surge pricing (fireworks demand I presumed) trebled the usual fare on my route.

Bolt also work fine in Hua Hin.

I keep expecting Bolt prices to rise as they are so much cheaper normally. They cornered the market, but Covid stopped them doing it sooner, the time is ripe.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:08 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

The police are actually applying the law, so I guess you're in shock over that. Because can you name me any country that allows unlicensed drivers to transport paying passengers in unregistered vehicles?

Apply 1 law apply them all, not selectively, how many helmetless rides went through just for starters.

20 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Are we saying that unlicensed Bolt drivers are the cause of the carnage seen on Thailand's roads?

If not, then this is a misdirection of energies that are better spent elsewhere.

This discussion was had years ago relating to unlicensed taxi rides to the airport, the usual comment being that you are insured in a real taxi.... the police were even stopping vehicles on the road in and my driver said to tell the officer the driver was my brother in law! 

Harass the real taxis, they are ripping tourists off!

In Bangkok you can find taxis using meters specifically if you are not in an Tourist-Area, but there is still the issue with the attitude, driving-styles cleanliness, maintenance, just to name a few. Also if there is any issue it is hard to report the driver since frequently the person on the license is not the one driving.

Now with Bolt / Grab you have the drivers name and all the details if there ever is an issue which never was except one not so friendly driver in maybe 100+ rides. But then you can report this individual with details to Bolt and give one star. Good luck reporting any Taxi driver!

Bolt also shows the cost when you book, so there is no incentive for the driver to take you for a large detour. Now specifically in  Pattaya I have NEVER seen any local Pattaya Taxi to use the meter, some did not even have one. So for some of the comments above where is the law applied here?

Bolt would be less popular if the taxis specifically in Pattaya would not rip-off the customers, just food for thoughts. Funny enough I get quite frequently a normal taxi when I book Bolt there and the fare is suddenly 100 THB instead of 300 THB.