This is football, my American friends, prepare for a lesson in the Beautiful Game

webfact

19 minutes ago, RayC said:

I can't understand the need for alcohol at ice hockey? The warming effect is superficial and doesn't last.

If the aim is to numb the brain, surely watching the match itself does that more effectively?

I am not a sport's fan at all.  I don't much care to watch any of them, but hockey is one I can watch.  It's fast-paced, it's aggressive, it keeps my attention.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

There are a lot of crossover athletes in the US, even at the professional level. Bo Jackson did NFL and MLB. Michael Jordan going from basketball to football. The Dallas Cowboys made all stars out of Bob Hayes coming from track and Cornell Green from basketball, while Ed Too Tall Jones went into boxing. I don't follow soccer enough to know if its players crossover into other sports. The only exception I remember is soccer players becoming placekickers in the NFL back in the late 60s and early 70s, such as Toni Fritsch and, I think, Jan Stenerud.

Extremely foolish argument. All these crossover athletes played both sports while they were growing up and going to school.

And by the way, Michael Jordan, never did make it to the Major League in baseball, did he?

Edited by placeholder

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Extremely foolish argument. All these crossover athletes played both sports while they were growing up and going to school.

And by the way, Michael Jordan, never did make it to the Major League in baseball, did he?

I did fail to note Bob Hayes and Cornel Green. But these guys are ancient history. Football players were a lot smaller back then and a lot less specialized. Apart from kickers, are there any recent successful crossover athletes in football?

On 11/27/2022 at 7:42 AM, John Drake said:

It's a matter of comparing the athletes. You could take NFL, NBA, or NHL players and have them square off against the best in soccer and probably still see a score not too far out of the realm of reason. Put soccer players up against even the worst of those other games and you would have unimpeded scoring just about every play, drive, or rush.

Best bet would be to put NFL against rugby players. Do you know them? They are the guys that bash into each other for a full 80 minutes, with only one break and not multiple time outs, and don't wear helmets or pads. 

On 11/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, John Drake said:

It's a matter of comparing the athletes. You could take NFL, NBA, or NHL players and have them square off against the best in soccer and probably still see a score not too far out of the realm of reason. Put soccer players up against even the worst of those other games and you would have unimpeded scoring just about every play, drive, or rush.

This is your idea of evidence? Just because football players make passing a ball with their feet to each other look easy, that doesn't make it so. Ya think athletes who have done little or none of this in their life can quickly acquire that skill? This is laughable.

Prepare for grown men squirming around on the ground like 4-year-olds. I like (real) football in general, but they really need to take a hard stance against the theatrics, just like they should with the unnecessary grunting in tennis.

• Like 1