If you are near 80 or over

georgegeorgia

44 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I find this attitude puzzling. Even in my late 30s my life has been through many different phases, some more energetic than others!

I suppose if you've spent your whole life being "lively and full of energy" then it might be difficult to adapt. But why not at least be open to it and see if you can find new, less energetic ways, to stimulate yourself?

The problem with that is if you actually had an amazing life that depended on being fit, being too decrepit to be active has no appeal. Less energetic ways just don't cut it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

I'm 80. Eat supplements, eat healthy food, stopped smoking and drinking alcohol. 

Go sauna every second day. 

Still working in share trading. 

But I hate to get older. Fortunately my wife is 42 years younger and don't care about my age at all. 

Resume : To get old sucks! 

Agree that old age sucks, but not in an enjoyable way, especially when old age makes us incapable of some of that. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and some are more healthy than a 30 year old.

This is so true! There are so many obese people aged around 30 or younger just waiting for the usual (deadly) illnesses to start. I haven't flown for several years, but my biggest fear on a plane is being seated next to an obese passenger. You get squashed by them. If you're in a window seat, they pin you to the wall for the flight's duration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A person should have planned for their future way before they reached 80.  
Preparing for the future should be done before a person reaches retirement age.  
This way everything  is in place. 
But some people won’t.  They won’t do much of anything.  But  blame  their poor financial status and other things on outside factors. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

This is so true! There are so many obese people aged around 30 or younger just waiting for the usual (deadly) illnesses to start. I haven't flown for several years, but my biggest fear on a plane is being seated next to an obese passenger. You get squashed by them. If you're in a window seat, they pin you to the wall for the flight's duration.

Obese people on a plane try to put the arm rest up. Insist on it being down.

I always booked an aisle seat for exactly that reason, and I would not have changed it for a fat person.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I pray every time I think about it that I never see my 80th birthday.

Might be different if I had a family that loved me, but I don't.

To be honest, the idea of being reduced to living in an understaffed so called "rest home" fills me with horror. I actually know people that work in such places to know what goes on.

Being stuck in front of day time tv or eating the muck my father had to eat is not my idea of a decent life.

I found a family in Thailand to take care for me and keep me busy so I will certainly not go back to disgusting GerMoney where I come from. 

No idea how old I'll get, but as far as I can see I've never been sick except for some accidents. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, micmichd said:

I found a family in Thailand to take care for me and keep me busy so I will certainly not go back to disgusting GerMoney where I come from. 

No idea how old I'll get, but as far as I can see I've never been sick except for some accidents. 

My ex wife was my last hope, which was why I held on for so long, but eventually I realised she would not take care of me if I was incapacitated, so that was the end.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My ex wife was my last hope, which was why I held on for so long, but eventually I realised she would not take care of me if I was incapacitated, so that was the end.

I'm glad I never married in the West. If I would be incacipated in GerMoney they would hand me over to one of their nanny state homes for the elderly (aka mental hospitals), and then all kinds of German women would only care for one thing: how to grab as much money out of me as possible. I avoid this in advance by simply not going back. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Never been a fan of life, never really enjoyed it or been any good at it. So just putting up with it gets increasingly more difficult after 70 with accumulated aches and pains, waiting for a terminal illness to turn up, which i hope is before 80 and too decrepit to look after myself. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, proton said:

Never been a fan of life, never really enjoyed it or been any good at it. So just putting up with it gets increasingly more difficult after 70 with accumulated aches and pains, waiting for a terminal illness to turn up, which i hope is before 80 and too decrepit to look after myself. 

I love an optimist!????????????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Are you serious? You understood what he was saying didn't you? So many petty people in the world. What a silly thing to nitpick about.

Doctor Tom huh? Probably a proctologist. 

Actually a physicist.  Just trying to be helpful 

2 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Marry a thin pooying.  Problem solved.

2 hours ago, blazes said:

The great thing about Death is that you don't have to worry any more about...anything!

You don't even have to join threads like this, cos you won't know about them....

I was dead for 13.5bn years before I was born. Can't remember a thing until I was 4 years old.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not all nursing home stories are bad. A close relative is in one near me in Australia, takes money from age pension only to pay, sunny one bedroom with nice bathroom, nice gardens, lovely staff, food not perfect but pretty OK.

If you are in OK shape but need a bit of help  you can do your thing within and outside the home fairly independently, but can come back to warm friendly place with your own space and have all cooking, cleaning etc done.

If incapacitated then life is difficult where ever you are but having the staff, machines, and decent support is better than many alternatives. 

I fully understand people wanting to stay in Thailand as they age, I may do the same, but from what I have seen the alternative might be better than what you are imagining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Off-topic: I don't know what sort of English you speak, but "you're" is definitely not pronounced the same as '"your", at least not when you speak RP English that is ????

Same as there and their and they're. 

All sound similar but TOTALLY different meanings.

I guess it comes down to early education ????

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Obese people on a plane try to put the arm rest up. Insist on it being down.

I always booked an aisle seat for exactly that reason, and I would not have changed it for a fat person.

Maybe I'm lucky, but in all the flights I have done, I have never had a problem with any other passenger, no babies crying enough to annoy me, no obese person on the seat next to me, no children kicking the back of my seat etc.

12 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I have no desire to live untill I'm 80 - I've seen too many old boys shuffling around & it ain't for me - When i stop being lively & full of energy, it's time for me to go.

I'm going out big time with a bang - That's my plan.

At the foot of a high rise building perhaps ?