If you are near 80 or over

georgegeorgia

49 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Maybe I'm lucky, but in all the flights I have done, I have never had a problem with any other passenger, no babies crying enough to annoy me, no obese person on the seat next to me, no children kicking the back of my seat etc.

Never had a fat one, but once had a baby in a hanging overhead thing once that if I bumped father got agro ( on a 707 ).

Once had to ask for a change of seat as the next to me was a nutter and I feared injury.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never had a fat one, but once had a baby in a hanging overhead thing once that if I bumped father got agro ( on a 707 ).

Once had to ask for a change of seat as the next to me was a nutter and I feared injury.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but this is just the way I think, but  if I thought there was any risk of being assaulted by someone on the next seat on a plane, I would hit him on the face as hard as I could then plead self defense. The flight attendants will already have him weighed up, so they will be on your side.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Maybe I'm lucky, but in all the flights I have done, I have never had a problem with any other passenger, no babies crying enough to annoy me, no obese person on the seat next to me, no children kicking the back of my seat etc.

or maybe you just slept through it all... 

17 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I am in my 70s  and look forward to many more years to come 

Do the usual keep in shape well try  plus watch what I eat

Enjoy a few beers in the evening 

Stay positive  

Said in Ernest????

• Haha 1

I’m to busy to worry about it ,to much to do experience and enjoy perhaps having enough to keep yourself occupied and productive helps plus good genetics but then again I’m only in my 70s my plan is to live till I die blessings to all!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, proton said:

Never been a fan of life, never really enjoyed it or been any good at it. So just putting up with it gets increasingly more difficult after 70 with accumulated aches and pains, waiting for a terminal illness to turn up, which i hope is before 80 and too decrepit to look after myself. 

IMO everyone is good at something, some people just never get to find out what it is.

I sometimes wonder if the process of dying for some, is when the number of aches and pains, and their severity, overwhelm any respite.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not all nursing home stories are bad. A close relative is in one near me in Australia, takes money from age pension only to pay, sunny one bedroom with nice bathroom, nice gardens, lovely staff, food not perfect but pretty OK.

If you are in OK shape but need a bit of help  you can do your thing within and outside the home fairly independently, but can come back to warm friendly place with your own space and have all cooking, cleaning etc done.

If incapacitated then life is difficult where ever you are but having the staff, machines, and decent support is better than many alternatives. 

I fully understand people wanting to stay in Thailand as they age, I may do the same, but from what I have seen the alternative might be better than what you are imagining. 

You like lotteries? Welcome to aged care in Oz.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-26/aged-care-food-and-government-funding-concerns/101692350

5 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not all nursing home stories are bad. A close relative is in one near me in Australia, takes money from age pension only to pay, sunny one bedroom with nice bathroom, nice gardens, lovely staff, food not perfect but pretty OK.

If you are in OK shape but need a bit of help  you can do your thing within and outside the home fairly independently, but can come back to warm friendly place with your own space and have all cooking, cleaning etc done.

If incapacitated then life is difficult where ever you are but having the staff, machines, and decent support is better than many alternatives. 

I fully understand people wanting to stay in Thailand as they age, I may do the same, but from what I have seen the alternative might be better than what you are imagining. 

That nursing home in OZ sounds nice.  I don't think there's much like that in the US at a reasonable cost, although there may be government programs I am unaware of.   My Mom was in a private room in a nursing home for the last 10 years of her life, fairly similar to what you describe.  The cost for the 10 years was around $700,000, so $70,000 a year on average, although it was cheaper in the beginning years. 

Likely the current yearly expense is more than $70,000 since she died 3 years ago.   If I went into her same place with my pension and SS I'd be running about a $20,000 a year deficit on that $70,000.   I think I can do better here if the times comes when I may need home care.   I'd prefer to stay in my own home and have live-in home care, which I think I could easily afford here but not in the US.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, newnative said:

That nursing home in OZ sounds nice.  I don't think there's much like that in the US at a reasonable cost, although there may be government programs I am unaware of.   My Mom was in a private room in a nursing home for the last 10 years of her life, fairly similar to what you describe.  The cost for the 10 years was around $700,000, so $70,000 a year on average, although it was cheaper in the beginning years. 

Likely the current yearly expense is more than $70,000 since she died 3 years ago.   If I went into her same place with my pension and SS I'd be running about a $20,000 a year deficit on that $70,000.   I think I can do better here if the times comes when I may need home care.   I'd prefer to stay in my own home and have live-in home care, which I think I could easily afford here but not in the US.  

That's expensive. I looked around for places with them about 8 years ago and found some poor ones e.g. rude staff with dank rooms and or not much outside area.  This one is run by the Lutherans - about 30 per cent of residents are German - you see them drinking decent german beer in the cafe and the home has the best cakes.

In Australia there are income tests - if you are getting full Age Pension each fortnight you can often get it for 85 per cent of that pension and that's it.

In Australia we had a recent Royal Commision into nursing homes, and in addition there had been homes found out treating residents poorly during covid, so there's a lot of scrutiny and funding now which is hopeful.

If you have assets or high income it becomes expensive here too  - I concur - if you've got a bit saved you could do it nice in Thailand and be well looked after. More fun too. 

• Like 1

Regarding planning after reaching an advanced age, one joke I've read says that at some point, even the act of buying bananas that aren't ripe yet may be overoptimistic......???? 

But I just ran a profile of an 80 year old male through a life expectancy calculator and came up with 94 as the 50/50 point.  So yes, an 80 year old should definitely be making plans, and I'd even wager that the more positive and optimistic the plans are, the more likely he'll live to see them.

I'm 81 and planning for the future all the time.  I'm hoping to marry my 40 year-old GF and get a home with her in Thailand for cool seasons plus.  I expect she will live with me summers in New York.  In the meantime I expect to visit her 3-4 times a year for a few weeks each time while I continue to care for my wife at home with Alzheimer's.  In denial or ignorance, I tell people (and myself) that I'm on the 140 year plan.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I'm 81 and planning for the future all the time.  I'm hoping to marry my 40 year-old GF and get a home with her in Thailand for cool seasons plus.  I expect she will live with me summers in New York.  In the meantime I expect to visit her 3-4 times a year for a few weeks each time while I continue to care for my wife at home with Alzheimer's.  In denial or ignorance, I tell people (and myself) that I'm on the 140 year plan.

Positivity can do wonders and keep someone living a few years extra happily! Respect 

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

Off-topic: I don't know what sort of English you speak, but "you're" is definitely not pronounced the same as '"your", at least not when you speak RP English that is ????

If that were true the meme would be still be pointless.

14 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but this is just the way I think, but  if I thought there was any risk of being assaulted by someone on the next seat on a plane, I would hit him on the face as hard as I could then plead self defense. The flight attendants will already have him weighed up, so they will be on your side.

Rubbish. Had I done that I'd be in handcuffs for the remainder of the flight. The flight attendants had no idea as he wasn't behaving badly in a physical way, and it was what he said to me that worried me.

BTW, ever actually hit someone in the face? Likely to cause damage to your hand doing that. It's only in movies that such works.

16 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It'd be luck if assigned to a decent nursing home. Friend of mine works in one as a cleaner. They paid her so little that sometimes she had trouble paying for petrol to go to work. Had to move in with daughter to survive. One of life's unfortunates that got done financially by her ex husband and doesn't have qualifications to get a decent job.

If you’re able to return to the issue of your age:

Let me respond to two of the comments made in this thread to my fellow octogenarians.  One imagined the 40 yr younger GF eagerly crossing each day off the calendar.  The other suggested a “nudge nudge wink wink” incapacity.  While either of these is always possible, neither is automatically a product of a particular age.  My nudge nudge behavior is less energetic than when I was 20 but I would wager more satisfying to my partner than when I was 40 or 60.  That thanks to modern pharmacy, greater confidence, and greater emotional maturity.   Regarding the life pacing, my GF counts off the days we are apart, but not my days on the planet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

What a nasty comment.

Do you know him and his wife?

Or do you think that all wives with an older husband want that he dies soon?

And how about wives with guys who are disabled, maybe because they had accidents?

Are they all waiting for their husband to die?

Did you ever experience love? Do you know what it is? It seems you have no idea.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Deal with it.

• Thumbs Up 1