If you are near 80 or over

georgegeorgia

14 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You're showing all the signs of a disaster waiting to happen.

Bring it on. Just had my walk on the beach, good rays out there today. Gonna have a healthy lunch and then hit the gym for an intense full body workout.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

A self-serving contradiction, as you're actually not being generous. No energy. What are you, intubated on your deathbed?

The tread is about 80+ men, who most likely have younger wife. It doesnt matter age or not really, if one in a relationship have more needs in a relationship, and there is a healthy relationship, why not give each the freedom to get what they need? Many here find their wives on their peak in life, while they are 65 and older? And someone wondering why so many thai ladies have a kik, and why 58% of thai women is unfaithful (durex statistics) 

Im sure many here have been a temporary kik for thai women, fully knowing they had a husband or a long time relationship be it long distance relationship or not. 

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Bring it on. Just had my walk on the beach, good rays out there today. Gonna have a healthy lunch and then hit the gym for an intense full body workout.

I used to swim at a fitness center with a full weight room near the pool for the "muscle guys" as I called them. I had a conversation with one of the Thai trainers the gist of it was that I don't think those guys could swim 1000 meters.

The Thai trainer said: Most of them could not make to the end of the pool

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I used to swim at a fitness center with a full weight room near the pool for the "muscle guys" as I called them. I had a conversation with one of the Thai trainers the gist of it was that I don't think those guys could swim 1000 meters.

The Thai trainer said: Most of them could not make to the end of the pool

My workout will end with HIIT on a recumbent bike. Muscles do best what they're trained to do, and here a Thai trainer has trained a few of your neurons for you. Best you read up on the undeniable essential benefits of resistance exercise (not "physical activity"), esp for seniors, and the concept of functional fitness.

Edited by BigStar

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Inagreed on your later posts, but not this one. Hit someone is the very last thing I would do to protect myself or anyone close to me in self defense.

Also previous army and security trained as well boxing since 12 years as well thai boxing in my later days.

Anyway there is no way I believe Im in shape in my mid 50'ies to pick a fight with anyone without knowing their background and capabilities. Going around and believe you are immortal is just plain stupidity.

My experience from being security, was that the absolutely worst age to face, drunk men in their 50'ies, and if they brought their crazy wife along, a disaster.

I am in agreement with your post, I would hesitate to hit a Thai even in self defence, that's just common sense, but not when I  was back in the UK, all it would take for me to lash out is someone to even threaten me with violence. People who carry on like that are the type who will curl up or go down quite easily. I know that from experience. I was friendly with all the hard men in my home town and none of them ever went about looking for trouble.

5 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I am in agreement with your post, I would hesitate to hit a Thai even in self defence, that's just common sense, but not when I  was back in the UK, all it would take for me to lash out is someone to even threaten me with violence. People who carry on like that are the type who will curl up or go down quite easily. I know that from experience. I was friendly with all the hard men in my home town and none of them ever went about looking for trouble.

Thats a different culture than Im coming from, and if there was any fighting in Benidorm in the 90’ies, you could be sure at least one of them was from Uk. 

As a security I never punched one time, but I defended myself, and wrestle manytimes, even those with knife. I was passive controlling, and It was a great kick everytime I managed to stay in control of myself, as well the other without any damage. Most of the time it was more a psychological game, and in most cases they calmed dawn after threatning my life. But again, different culture, and not sure the same tactic would work elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No problem. Our forum is a wonderful resource, no?

About resistance exercise:

In general terms, swim resistance is the effect of water upon the motion of a swimmer. Swim resistance is a concept closely related to drag, the hydrodynamic principle of resistance created by a fluid to forward motion.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/sports/sports-fitness-recreation-and-leisure-magazines/swimming-resistance

47 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

About resistance exercise:

In general terms, swim resistance is the effect of water upon the motion of a swimmer. Swim resistance is a concept closely related to drag, the hydrodynamic principle of resistance created by a fluid to forward motion.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/sports/sports-fitness-recreation-and-leisure-magazines/swimming-resistance

Excellent! That hydrodynamic water resistance.???? Certainly better than nothing, esp for our arthritics. OH--constant dripping will wear away a stone, too. We done yet?

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Excellent! That hydrodynamic water resistance.???? Certainly better than nothing, esp for our arthritics. OH--constant dripping will wear away a stone, too. We done yet?

Sure. I'm glad to know after about 50 years of adult swimming that swimming is resistance exercise.

Kinda like that line from the Moliere play (1670) loosely:

"All these years, I never realized that I was speaking prose."

About 30 yrs ago when I was 50, I had lost interest in sex.  My wife called my attention to testosterone treatments and I dismissed the idea.  I thought I was better off not caring.  About the same time I started seeing a psychopharmacoligist who discovered by way of a blood test that I had low testosterone.  She prescribed testosterone (androderm patches) and I've been like a teenager since.  Only happier and more satisfied than I was in my teens.  Now my 40 yr old GF is the one who needs coaxing.

Edited by Rimmer
incorrect quote

14 hours ago, BigStar said:
16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I looked up Dr. Sinclair's website. The number of drugs and supplements he takes is quite astounding.

Dr. Sinclair is 53 years old. If he gets to my age (79) without seriously damaging his kidneys with the cocktail he consumes, I will be very surprised. Perhaps not, as I doubt I'll be here by then.

Recently, in a discussion on a fitness-oriented Twitter feed about health/longevity gurus whose appearance hasn't aged well, Sinclair was mentioned as an example. FWIW, of course. Paleo guru Mark Sisson looks great, but he's always kept extremely fit (former athlete) and he's on TRT.

I recommend Sinclair's book, which incidentally is quite readable, and you guys dismiss it without reading it because you know it's too much for his kidneys and because someone on twitter might have mentioned that he didn't age well?  If you look at his photo and videos online, btw, you'll see he looks quite boyish.   Unless you're focusing on one of the other David Sinclairs on the image page for the name.

29 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I recommend Sinclair's book, which incidentally is quite readable, and you guys dismiss it without reading it because you know it's too much for his kidneys and because someone on twitter might have mentioned that he didn't age well?  If you look at his photo and videos online, btw, you'll see he looks quite boyish.   Unless you're focusing on one of the other David Sinclairs on the image page for the name.

There are any number of gurus in their forties and fifties claiming to have found the elixir of life. AFAIK not a lot in their seventies and eighties.

Dr. Sinclair has proved anti-aging effects of a couple of organic compounds in yeasts and mice. That is a far cry from humans, allow me to observe we are somewhat more complex organisms.

When Dr. Sinclair can produce peer-reviewed research that proves taking pharmaceuticals prolongs life in a statistically significant population of humans when compared to a control group, I might take notice. Until then, I refuse to be a lab rat.

What you don't seem to understand is the side effects of almost all medications are more pronounced in the elderly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigStar said:

and so the choice is yours heart attack or skin cancer?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

There are any number of gurus in their forties and fifties claiming to have found the elixir of life. AFAIK not a lot in their seventies and eighties.

Dr. Sinclair has proved anti-aging effects of a couple of organic compounds in yeasts and mice. That is a far cry from humans, allow me to observe we are somewhat more complex organisms.

When Dr. Sinclair can produce peer-reviewed research that proves taking pharmaceuticals prolongs life in a statistically significant population of humans when compared to a control group, I might take notice. Until then, I refuse to be a lab rat.

What you don't seem to understand is the side effects of almost all medications are more pronounced in the elderly.

Point taken.  But your bar is too high to ever take advantage if he's got something.  Meanwhile I submit my own happy experience without negative side effects as lab rat.

1 hour ago, habuspasha said:

Point taken.  But your bar is too high to ever take advantage if he's got something.  Meanwhile I submit my own happy experience without negative side effects as lab rat.

Quite right, peer-reviewed research is a bridge much too far for many pundits. Unless you mean I am too old to benefit from such an approach, which is correct too. I can't recall you saying what your own age is.

"he's got something" is a bit too vague for me, and a statistical sample of one does not impress me either.

I did ask you previously whether you had checked your eGFR, I don't know how you can say you have no negative side effects without that information. And how do you know you are not quietly developing hyperinsulinemia, which the metformin is masking?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dddave said:

I used to declare the same when I was younger.   No old age for me.

Now, at 79, I sing a different tune, and so will you should you be fortunate to get this far.  

I'm still living every day; some better, some worse, just like always.

Or the old saw:

Despite the cost of living, it still remains popular.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, dddave said:

I used to declare the same when I was younger.   No old age for me.

Now, at 79, I sing a different tune, and so will you should you be fortunate to get this far.  

I'm still living every day; some better, some worse, just like always.

Becoming a State Pensioner was a milestone for me. Now nearer to 70 than 60, next step being 80. Bring it on!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Sure. I'm glad to know after about 50 years of adult swimming that swimming is resistance exercise.

Coincidentally, about 56 years ago, I aced one of the toughest uni swimming courses in the US. It may be, then, that I already had a State Certified Lifeguard certificate when you were still paddling around in an inflatable pool ring.

Later, to my surprise, I did well in gymnastics and discovered it a much superior form of exercise and fitness. But I'm not a natural athlete. Did poorly in tennis, basketball, even softball, ha ha. What I currently do, anyone can do w/ training.

Now, any movement involves resisting gravity. Many a member will proudly cite the concentric contraction of lifting a bottle of Chang from bar to lips, and then of course lowering it for the eccentric contraction. As part of our pettifoggery, continuing your learning, we'll have to note the aerodynamic resistance offered in the sport of running. 'Course, the real resistance is encountered on the hills. Have you ever run the annual Big Sur marathon? Then you know what hills can do to you.

So your next step would be to discover the common definition of resistance training and so communicate more effectively on the subject. Perhaps google again and come up, oh, the first definition in a long list:

Resistance training is a form of exercise intended to increase muscular strength and endurance. It involves exercising muscles using some form of resistance. This resistance could be weights, bands, or even your own bodyweight working against gravity.

--What Is Resistance Training and Why Is it Important?

Not so much working against air or water for increasing muscular strength.????Then you might discover why it's particularly important for seniors, what with all the loss of muscle mass, skeletal muscle, cognitive decline, insulin resistance, etc. Surprising how falls are such a leading cause of death in our target group.

And you've not yet gotten to functional fitness, so we dunno if you know what that is; and you might explain how swimming helps, as would be practiced by the average member on this forum, who's likely not doing multiple twists from a high diving platform.

Not to denigrate swimming overmuch, however. Done right, can be good for cardio in the outdated Ken Cooper sense and more. Water aerobics, great option for the frail; I once got a friend to enroll in such a course at his local Y. After enrolling, he didn't bother to go and went to meet Elvis at age 59.

A number of old whales regularly paddle around in my building's pool. I dunno if it's just for the sensual pleasure of it before quaffing another Chang or whether they really think it's exercise.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, jerrymahoney said:
On 11/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, Moonlover said:

The natural ways to good health are the best ways

On 11/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, jerrymahoney said:

Referring to just one person's experience out of the many thousands of similar cases, is hardly proof that my chosen way lacks efficacy. And there are, I'm sure many thousands of cases where conventional medicine has also failed to save lives.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:56 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I pray every time I think about it that I never see my 80th birthday.

Might be different if I had a family that loved me, but I don't.

To be honest, the idea of being reduced to living in an understaffed so called "rest home" fills me with horror. I actually know people that work in such places to know what goes on.

Being stuck in front of day time tv or eating the muck my father had to eat is not my idea of a decent life.

If you are financially stable here you can hire a lovely young live in care giver, for a fraction of what those dreadful nursing homes charge back in the US. Not a bad thought for a single guy. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 11:04 PM, RedArmy said:

I have no desire to live untill I'm 80 - I've seen too many old boys shuffling around & it ain't for me - When i stop being lively & full of energy, it's time for me to go.

I'm going out big time with a bang - That's my plan.

The last of the What, Me Worry? category in the awesome Principles of ANF Poster Longevity Science: The French Salute.

What, me worry? III: The French Salute

Woe is me; g'bye cruel world.

That's it; I'm totally bug.gered! I can't exercise, read Thoreau, garden, find hobbies, join a support group, volunteer, take up yoga, join an exercise class, talk to a therapist, enjoy local scenery, play video games, find any friends, learn any new skills, study Marcus Aurelius and Seneca, get into art appreciation, go around doing good deeds, or write anything but cynical and solipsistic posts on ANF. Which don’t help neither. All I am now is few old taste buds, but I'm also helpless when it comes to following any delicious low carb recipes.

So, ain't gon' do a d.a.mn thing for myself. I'm just gon' sit here in my same old bathwater and cry until I reach that Pies and Pastry Shop In The Sky.

Sixty-five to 79 is the happiest age group for adults, according to Office for National Statistics research.

The survey of more than 300,000 adults across the UK found life satisfaction, happiness and feeling life was worthwhile all peaked in that age bracket, but declined in the over-80s.

The survey of more than 300,000 adults across the UK found life satisfaction, happiness and feeling life was worthwhile all peaked in that age bracket, but declined in the over-80s. , , , The over-90 age group reported by far the lowest levels of feeling their life was worthwhile, even though their reported levels of happiness and life satisfaction were comparable to those in their 20s and 30s.

--https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35471624

unhappy seniors . . . were twice as likely to develop diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and strokes. . . .

What makes seniors happy? Health diet and exercise are two important factors. WOT? Read more: The Way of Living: Being Happy and Healthy at an Old Age

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

and so the choice is yours heart attack or skin cancer?

I don't see a danger of either. For the education of the forum, please tell us the blood markers and other signs that would indicate risk of a heart attack and indeed that correlate with mortality risk. I watch mine pretty closely and would be happy to compare with yours.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you are financially stable here you can hire a lovely young live in care giver, for a fraction of what those dreadful nursing homes charge back in the US. Not a bad thought for a single guy. 

Swiss guy in my building lived to about 95 with the loveliest caretaker you can imagine. SO nice. I hope he left her well off.

• Like 1