‘What if the worst had happened?’ Trudeau defends convoy response

Scott

Canadian flag at half-mast in front of the Canadian parliament building Canadian flag at half-mast in front of the Canadian parliament building. Canada Stock Photo

OTTAWA, Ont. — Canada’s prime minister says he is “serene and confident” in his decision to invoke never-before-used emergency powers to end a protest of pandemic public health measures that occupied the nation’s capital for three weeks last winter.

Justin Trudeau told a public inquiry Friday that he had to consider what might happen if he didn’t take action to end the so-called Freedom Convoy occupation.

“What if the worst had happened in those following days?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/25/trudeau-defends-freedom-convoy-emergencies-act-00070826

Technology: Latest News, Top Stories & Analysis - POLITICO

3 hours ago, Mad mick said:

He Tredeau is

brutal tyrannical nutter WEF ????????WHO Woke  Member ,.. Same as US Biden Australia under Morrison Lnp Feds Gov/ now Alp Governments NZ ,EU , UK WEF CCP ???????? Collaborators 

Did you forget anybody?

????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Yes, because those same truckers were not denied entry into the US of A, whereas they were denied entry, if unvaccinated, into Canada.  Not only did this insane demand threaten loss of jobs in Canada, many businesses suffered financial loss by the holding-up of trucks at the border.  (Just by the way, those truckers were the least likely travellers to cause the spread of the already-in-decline virus. )

Weren't 90% of truckers already vaccinated?

https://www.nytimes.com/article/canada-trucker-protests.html

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Yes, because those same truckers were not denied entry into the US of A, whereas they were denied entry, if unvaccinated, into Canada.  Not only did this insane demand threaten loss of jobs in Canada, many businesses suffered financial loss by the holding-up of trucks at the border.  (Just by the way, those truckers were the least likely travellers to cause the spread of the already-in-decline virus. )

Your claim about unvaccinated truckers not being denied entry into the USA is BS

"The demonstrations began in late January after the United States and Canada imposed a new rule requiring cross-border truck drivers to be fully vaccinated to enter their respective countries."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/07/freedom-convoy-ottawa-canada-vaccine/

Except for a few folks like you and those recalcitrant truckers, I guess pretty the whole world went insane by excluding the unvaccinated from crossing their borders. Or maybe you're not reporting from Planet Earth?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

Again , ignorance of the situation in Canada.  This last week has been taken up with a parliamentary inquiry into why Trudeau found it necessary to proclaim the Emergencies Act.  In the course of the week, senior police and security officials have admitted that there was no foreign interference.

Also, to correct you further (surely you  must be American?), the (Canadian) truckers were being forced to be vaccinated if they wanted access to Canada.

They were specifically protesting the denial of their right to work and make a living bringing in provisions to all Canadians. 

Before demonstrating your ignorance, it would be advisable to do some reading on the subject, especially since this has been leading the news all week in all media in Canada.

Yeah, sorry dude, references before BS. "No foreign interference"? That's easily debunked with the most basic google search. Link to a credible source please.  As to "the (Canadian) truckers were being forced to be vaccinated if they wanted access to Canada", please note the following sentence.

THE USA DOES NOT ALLOW UNVACCINATED CANADIAN TRUCKERS TO ENTER THE USA AND HASN'T ALLOWED THIS SINCE JANUARY 2022!!!!

So whom is it you are referring to that can't get into Canada from the USA? How did they get there in the first place? How many people are we talking about, and as per the rules, they're only allowed one entry anyway at which point they're not allowed to enter the USA until they get vaccinated. Or are we talking about people who lie about their vaccination status to get into the USA thereby breaking the law so then have to produce evidence of said lie when returning to Canada? Boo hoo. Do the crime, do the time.

So there is a certain phrase applicable here, but I won't Say That For Usual reasons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stargeezr said:

Justin Trudeau would not be in power if the LDP party leader, Jagmeet Singh did not support him.

The,  What If,  PM is very arrogent, and is hopefully voted out during the next election.

Yes I am Canadian, and do not like this guy, any more than the Thais like their present PM/GM.

Enuff Said.

False equivalence

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, JCauto said:

Yes, you can tell by the way he was summarily drummed out of power by an enraged populace after his first term. Wonder how he ended up with a majority government until 2025?

Canny politicians can pull the wool over voters eyes for a while. Tony Blair certainly did so in his second election.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Canny politicians can pull the wool over voters eyes for a while. Tony Blair certainly did so in his second election.

Sure, this is why they become politicians. I think though that for Canada there are other cyclical forces at play where the general vox populi shifts to the Left or to the Right for longer periods of time (but fortunately does so around a fairly tight band so there aren't many extremes on either side). Canada seems to give whomever gets elected quite a long spell at the plate for whatever reasons, with Trudeau the Elder, Brian Mulroney, Jean Cretien (pardon Jean, can't find the accent), Stephen Harper and now Trudeau the Younger having terms of almost 10 years or longer. Also happened a lot in the past. When someone becomes Canadian PM you really have to mess up big to get voted out, and when you do your party has to be in the wilderness for a while before they get back in.

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

With an experimental vaccine? I don't think so, not all of us are stupid enough to go along with being guinea pigs for big pharma.  

And looking at all the unexplained deaths around the world I'd say we were right too...

Wow, they still exist! Must be a bit lonelier than before though, with so many of your fellow conspiracists having mysteriously died from a coughing ailment of some sort that seemed to be going around. Can't quite put my finger on what it was...

Your ridiculous claims of victory are fully expected too, the scientific community forecast that as well. You won't of course grace us with a scientific publication that demonstrates your wisdom, because of course such things do not exist. I could start listing them and fill this page, but I'll just link to a few so you get the picture. First, the Lancet, which is a highly respected medical journal from the UK:

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(21)02796-3/fulltext

Next, this is a big one that is cited widely by Andrew Stokes, which looked at County level data from the USA and found that COVID-19 deaths were WIDELY UNDER-REPORTED, as per his conclusion:

https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1003571

"In this study, we found that direct COVID-19 death counts in the US in 2020 substantially underestimated total excess mortality attributable to COVID-19. Racial and socioeconomic inequities in COVID-19 mortality also increased when excess deaths not assigned to COVID-19 were considered. Our results highlight the importance of considering health equity in the policy response to the pandemic."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Justin Trudeau would not be in power if the LDP party leader, Jagmeet Singh did not support him.

The,  What If,  PM is very arrogent, and is hopefully voted out during the next election.

Yes I am Canadian, and do not like this guy, any more than the Thais like their present PM/GM.

Enuff Said.

I think you may be mixing up your countries; Jagmeet Singh is the leader of the New Democrat Party, or NDP. The Liberal Democrat Party is in the United Kingdom. Try to keep up.

4 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Tell us how you really feel! Your witty and trenchant post demonstrates a subtle understanding and knowledge of politics that exceeds most observers and seems to demand a higher level publication aimed at the intellects able to absorb such galaxy-brain thought. Could you dumb it down for the rest of us?

Are you the pub bore?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JCauto said:

THE USA DOES NOT ALLOW UNVACCINATED CANADIAN TRUCKERS TO ENTER THE USA AND HASN'T ALLOWED THIS SINCE JANUARY 2022!!!!

Yo! Blazes! Where's your response to this? If the unvaccinated Canadian Truckers were not allowed into the USA because of the rules of the USA, who are these unvaccinated Canadian Truckers who can't get back into Canada? 

• Like 1

Some bickering posts leading to personal attacks have been removed, also quoted replies.

EDIT

Some more off topic bickering posts have again been removed, keep this up and there will be consequences

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Yo! Blazes! Where's your response to this? If the unvaccinated Canadian Truckers were not allowed into the USA because of the rules of the USA, who are these unvaccinated Canadian Truckers who can't get back into Canada? 

You tell me what an unvaccinated Canadian was doing in the USA in the first  place.  All I know (which you can easily confirm by consulting news outlets at the time) is that one of the main impulses behind the convoy was the huge delays caused by  the prevention of unvaccinated Canadian truckers re-entering their own country.

Edited by Rimmer
Flames edited out!!!

41 minutes ago, blazes said:

You tell me what an unvaccinated Canadian was doing in the USA in the first  place.  All I know (which you can easily confirm by consulting news outlets at the time) is that one of the main impulses behind the convoy was the huge delays caused by  the prevention of unvaccinated Canadian truckers re-entering their own country.

You have yet to provide any references demonstrating that the Freedom Convoy was anything other than what I have characterized it as being - a tiny minority of truckers who were opposed both by the majority of truckers whose lives they were disrupting (since over 85% of the truckers were already vaccinated, hence the protests were not allowing them to do their jobs and transport goods across the border) and whose actions were heavily funded, influenced by and disseminated by the US Right. "All I know" is not a valid argument or counterpoint. Recall that the Right-Wing media were widely broadcasting pro-Freedom Convoy views and reports on both sides of the border - if you're a regular reader or viewer of this media, you would of course remember that information. What's important in debate is providing valid references from credible organizations.

You are the one who claimed that unvaccinated Canadian truckers were the main group protesting and how the unjust vaccination rules imposed by the Canadian government were the cause of that protest. I pointed out that the rules requiring truckers to cross the border were imposed by both the US and Canadian governments in January 2022, prior to the protests. Those rules requiring truckers to be vaccinated remain in place and never changed. Hence there could ONLY be a small group of truckers who had somehow entered the USA unvaccinated prior to January 2022 who then wanted to return who were affected. From that point onwards, there would be nobody who followed the law who was unvaccinated who came in from the USA. 

So when you state this as the main cause for the Freedom Convoy protestors, and I challenge it with evidence that this could not be the case, you would normally either provide such evidence or concede that your point was incorrect. You don't turn around and say "you prove my point for me after you've already disproved it". That's very circular logic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1