Immigration with metal prods arrest Finnish pensioner on 3,246 days overstay in NE - he's a "threat to society"

webfact

6 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

The fact to never be able to travel again outside of Thailand, be in constant fear of getting in a random police control or getting sick and having to go to a hospital, where everything would be revealed.
this seriously can’t be worth it..even if that person lives under a rock.

That reminds me of a friend who used to make decent money but that was a long time ago.

Now it's survival up country.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't renew his visa, because he doesn't have the money.

Just hoping for the best. Because he doesn't have an alternative.

I guess he is not alone in that situation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

3246 days since Jan 5th 2015?

Thai mathematics?

Anyway: off to Finnland.

Yes, having stated it to be 3246 days (8.89 years) they'll probably give him an extension now until late 2023 so as not to lose face...555.

30 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Would you prefer stun guns?  I've seen videos of police handling younger people on yaba with those metal rods.  Seems like a humane way of apprehending someone who's spaced out.

this 74 year old dude wasnt spaced out or high on yaba was he? he had a stick in his hand. hardly an ak-47

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Would you prefer stun guns?  I've seen videos of police handling younger people on yaba with those metal rods.  Seems like a humane way of apprehending someone who's spaced out.

Humane, they use in other Asia countries. In US  people in wheelchairs with a pen and naked guys get shot because the Police get "scared"

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I've wondered how many geezers maybe with a Thai wife or family eventually give up on the visa thing. Bit of pension coming laying low upcountry. Not attracting attention or bothering anyone just wait for the inevitable.

I'd say a large majority of those guys could be identified via their stance on covid injections. Not all anti covid injection believers but some. The process would have identified their status.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not one of these "you're a guest in the country" types, but at least be nice to your neighbours if you're on years of overstay!

Maybe he's gone a bit senile.

maybe he is trying to be "More Thai than the Thais"......

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Still, if you know you're staying very illegibly in the country, the most you can do is behave and not be a nuisance to the locals right? could it be that the man doesn't play with full deck of cards any longer.?..

A deck of cards with the Aces missing may not have been the problem? Perhaps the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

those metal monkey rods are barbaric. another one of big jokes legacies?

Yeah, they're the worst. In America we don't screw around with monkey rods...tsk. We shoot em. 

Edited by Pinot
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Robin said:

Local Police really on the ball?  Nearly 9 years overstay.  Where will they deport him to?

Local police responsible for immigration issues? I think not. Until a foreigner causes local issues, local patrol police are not involved. Or do I misunderstand?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

The Immigration Police should have just laid out a trail of smoked herrings and lured him out that way, much easier than using the animal poles on a 74 year old.

I remember reading a sign in Finland with 103 ways to cook a herring. 

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

How has he managed to live in a rented accommodation for 9 years not attracting attention ???? 

Until now ????

Probably by keeping a low profile.

He may also have moved from a different district and a different IO.

If he did the previous IO won't care and if he didn't report to the new one they probably wouldn't know that he existed.

He would simply fall through the cracks of the system and if he kept a low profile nobody at Immigration would know and his neighbours would keep themselves to themselves.

IMHO he brought it on himself by becoming a nuisance and upsetting his neighbours and they got fed up with it and shopped him.

I am 78 and I think that if my wife reported to the IO that I had died, then they wouldn't bother to look for me, and probably not bother to search or ask the local cops to look either.

That is just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Just now, billd766 said:

I am 78 and I think that if my wife reported to the IO that I had died, then they wouldn't bother to look for me, and probably not bother to search or ask the local cops to look either.

Why would they look for you if your wife had said you died? 

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not one of these "you're a guest in the country" types, but at least be nice to your neighbours if you're on years of overstay!

Maybe he's gone a bit senile.

senile at this young age already?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

The fact to never be able to travel again outside of Thailand, be in constant fear of getting in a random police control or getting sick and having to go to a hospital, where everything would be revealed.
this seriously can’t be worth it..even if that person lives under a rock.

Maybe like me at 78, he can't be bothered with leaving Thailand. If he has nothing to go back to in Finland, why would he want to go back?

When I go to the local state hospital, all I need to show is my hospital registration card, no passport or visa stamp. As long as he can pay the hospital bill, the hospital won't report him.

As for a random police check, mostly when they see a farang they ignore me.

• Like 1