Damning English survey ranking leaves Thailand almost rock bottom in the World - Singapore and Philippines lead way in Asia

webfact

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe it's because Thais believe they can speak better English than native English speakers?

In many cases they are brought up to believe that they are perfect in every way.

And woe betide anyone who dares to correct or criticize their English skills, particularly an actual native English speaker!

Had a row with a ladyboy on the bus once, he turned round when the conductor could not understand Parkland- our stop and started kicking off. Said I was showing her up by saying it wrong, apparently the correct way to pronounce it according to him was Barkland, he might have been right due to all the dogs there! 

• Haha 1

No brainer if you live here particularly if there is something at stake.  Government school just a babysitting service one teacher for entire school and that is their extensive program. 

First lesson " Good Morning how are you I'm fine " 10 Years later as they say Same!  Deviate  " this is Thailand "

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

3. Many Thai people pretend they can't understand a white guy speaking Thai.

4. Thai people don't have anything worth the listening (this depends on how relatively stupid you are).

Amazing attitude to Thai people. Not surprised no one wants to talk to you. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, proton said:

Had a row with a ladyboy on the bus once, he turned round when the conductor could not understand Parkland- our stop and started kicking off. Said I was showing her up by saying it wrong, apparently the correct way to pronounce it according to him was Barkland, he might have been right due to all the dogs there! 

Good to see you got the he/she pronouns correct.

As far as I'm aware 'B' as in Book is interchangeable with 'P' as in Pook.

55 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The list refers to non-native speakers. In England they speak English so England doesn't qualify for the list. Several people who have commented about England and the USA not being on the list, not just you, need to brush up on their comprehension of the opening paragraph.

I realize it was referring to non native English speaking countries as I am sure everyone did?

Having said that it appears you do not have a sense of humor, as that is what was being conveyed, I guess the laughing emoji's didn't give it away?????

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I remember many years ago whilst traveling on a long distance bus, I got into a conversation with a beautiful Thai girl who could speak fluent English.  As time went on, all I could think of was don't get an erection.

But she did.

I should have asked him where he studied the English language.

Funny you should mention that. I've met a number of trans people in Thailand whose English was really impressive. And many Thai women. Getting talking to them they will often have an amazing story to tell. Married a foreigner, lived in eg Florida/Norway for 15 years, or wherever/whatever. Similar in Philippines. We really don't know the half of it.

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I'd like to rank British on their Thai proficiency.

Though just a thought... I read somewhere that over 750k Brits can't speak English... Lemme find it... Here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/14/sajid-javid-770000-people-in-england-not-able-to-speak-english

What's the difference between the "750k Brits" in your post and the "770,000 people living in England" in the news srticle to which you have given a link?