Damning English survey ranking leaves Thailand almost rock bottom in the World - Singapore and Philippines lead way in Asia

webfact

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

By what measure? If its percentage of the population, that is surely UK/US/Australia etc. 

By numbers, 125 million English speakers.

But, to correct myself it is second to the US.  Apologies for that error.

52 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Ok we know all Thais are not Shakespearians with their english but this is the charm of the place for us farangs and tourists alike...

So keep the locals as they are because we think it's quaint?  I guess it's good to put a positive spin on things, but this should not be something to celebrate.  Particularly as the government claims to be addressing it and Thai students actually learn English from kindergarten, through high school and generally university.

Thailand shouldn't be close to Haiti and the DPR Congo.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Americans in general speak better English than many Brits? Unless  you go to Texas of course?????

Rubbish, they can't even do joined up writing and they use upper case all over the place.

Borderline retards.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

It's not about the money spent. There are two main reasons that Thai kids are lacking on a few fronts.

Firstly, high school here is a disaster and is just 6 years of brainwashing nonsense by some muppet high school teacher that hasn't a clue and is brainwashed themselves. This is where it initially goes completely wrong.

Secondly, it's the motivation levels, or lack thereof, of these kids and they just simply aren't like Singapore kids (terrible comparison on all topics really)... not really any ambition in most. It's mainly just the idea of "let's just get through it along the path of least resistance and blend in with the herd" sort of nonsense.

There just isn't the appetite to succeed apart from the 10% that do want to... call it what you like (lethargy/idleness/indifference/laziness/social conditioning etc. etc.). A commonly encountered example of this is something like "Well, I'm going to be working in Thailand, so why do I need to study English?"

There are two types of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic (from within and from outside) and all too often the latter is on display. 

It goes way deeper than the education authorities, media, or government feel comfortable facing/realising/talking about and changing it doesn't serve the ends of the elite (they still need a passive slave class of workers here)... it's a deeply ingrained trait that isn't going away anytime soon.

Some commentators also say that religion plays a part as Buddhism isn't exactly well-suited to encourage the active get-up-and-go sort it out and make it happen attitude... especially in the many that don't see things as very urgent anyhow.

Excellent post, spot on!????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I'd like to rank British on their Thai proficiency.

Though just a thought... I read somewhere that over 750k Brits can't speak English... Lemme find it... Here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/14/sajid-javid-770000-people-in-england-not-able-to-speak-english

why ? when thai is taken up by hundreds of millions of people world wide then come back and we will have that talk. outside of thailand no one cares much about the language at all. can you say the same for english outside its native lands ? i think we both know. 

750k new brits who are either new immigrants or refugees for the most part. you are being facetious with this statement. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

There is/are? no end of kids.......12 to 15......careering around on motorbikes (modified exhausts obvs) all day long where we live......never in school.

I asked the wife what happens when they don't turn up at school......she shrugs and says nothing happens.

There is no end of kids

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Probably very low, but unless you live in Thailand its immaterial?

English is the most widely spoken language in the world and certainly if you are Thai and want to get a job, or live outside of Thailand, speaking English would be a necessity?

it's immaterial

Why waste time learning English...seriously, Chinese should be their number one language....in case anyone has not checked in yet, the Chinese will rule the world in 20 years.  Tell your kids to learn Mandarin.  Such is life.  Let's see if they will do a better job than the Romans (England) or Carthage (America).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Rubbish, they can't even do joined up writing and they use upper case all over the place.

Borderline retards.

Hey dude, guess what, the local thais here tell me that as am American, they understand when I speak America English much better than the Brits, Scotts, Irish and Aussies.  

It is the "Hollywood Effect"...they watch movies and are more comfortable with American English than yours.  

Do not get too upset because we speak the Queen's (now King's English) better than you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's great when the cute girls don't understand English. 

Because then all those people who only want to talk English leave her alone. And I will talk Thai with her.

Win/win/win. ???? 

Why do you feel the need to talk with them?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1