Damning English survey ranking leaves Thailand almost rock bottom in the World - Singapore and Philippines lead way in Asia

webfact

On 11/26/2022 at 9:52 AM, Will B Good said:

There is/are? no end of kids.......12 to 15......careering around on motorbikes (modified exhausts obvs) all day long where we live......never in school.

I asked the wife what happens when they don't turn up at school......she shrugs and says nothing happens.

Not true with all schools, If any of my 3 grandkids are sick/need to be absent for a logical reason either my son or his wife call the school before 8:00 am in the morning.

They call because they think it's the correct thing to do and becaue they know there will be  call from the 3 schools before 10:00 am asking 'why isn't your kid at school?'

- 2 bi-lingual schools

- 1 gov't kinder/prathom school which has an excellent English language program.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Not true with all schools, If any of my 3 grandkids are sick/need to be absent for a logical reason either my son or his wife call the school before 8:00 am in the morning.

They call because they think it's the correct thing to do and becaue they know there will be  call from the 3 schools before 10:00 am asking 'why isn't your kid at school?'

- 2 bi-lingual schools

- 1 gov't kinder/prathom school which has an excellent English language program.

Thai state school?

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thai state school?

Re-send:

- schools:

• One school part private owned part gov't owned
  • One fully gov't, has an excellent bi-lingual program, English, Chinese, Japanes, Maths, Science all taught by non-Thai teachers. School has excellent results and popular with parents and kids. Visit the school and you'll instantly see a whole different admin. approach, parents prompted to ask any questions, always get complete answers all in English.
  • One school full gov't owned (kinder and prathom) has a strong well organized English language and Chinese language program with strong emphasis on conversation skills, Has non-Thai teachers at 3 levels. Excellent results, Granddaughter is developing english very quickly and I can see it's all structured, and they use most up to date coloured/cartoon like pictures, text and w'books are from England. The several English teachers are well qualified Brit folks, mostly late 20s, all well focused and keen to ensure kids are developing.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 6:20 AM, nausea said:

Not colonized so no English, or French, language skills. It's a plus and a minus. Anyway, the world's changing, Mandarin Chinese may well become the new Lingua Franca. I know at least one woman who is honing her language skills, and it ain't in English. Whatever, one reason English became rhe Lingua Franca is cos it's easy for adults to learn, depending mostly on sentence structure rather than cases and inflection, so I don't suppose it's going away anytime soon. Personally,  I'm just grateful I was born into it, and can enjoy Shakespeare and Keats with no effort at all.

I would suggest enjoying Shakespears and Keats, not to mention Eliot takes more than knowledge of English.  

8 hours ago, If I should die said:

I would suggest enjoying Shakespears and Keats, not to mention Eliot takes more than knowledge of English.  

Weird you quote my three favorites. And I am by no means a well educated man, you just fall on these things by accident. Anyway, I'm sure German, French, and Russian, Italian, Spanish, Greek, and Roman literature has similar claims to fame. Doesn't make them a world language.