Damning English survey ranking leaves Thailand almost rock bottom in the World - Singapore and Philippines lead way in Asia

webfact

10 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Moreover, Thais are probably the most intellectually incurious lot you’ll ever encounter. Most folks here are oblivious to international affairs and seem to believe Thailand is the geographical and cultural center of the universe. For most Thais, the pursuit of money and social status seem to be the only real priorities.

I couldn't agree more m8

they are a bunch of iphone scrolling drones. In general, of course.

Im sure there are 1 or 2 that have a brain but ive yet to meet him/her

I have a Thai lady who teaches English and some of her Students are beyond belief with there Intelligence, that's is the way I see them. However when they reach teenage years it's all gone to 'waste', particularly when it comes to girls falling in,"Love" so to speak. What a Bummer. :(:(:(

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

will never change. thais are far too lazy to even attempt learning another language other than their own.

Nice, very nice....... May I presume that you are living in Thailand? And may I presume that you were not too lazy to learn Thai?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Some better-educated Thais know English grammar well. They can explain it (in Thai), but still cannot string a conversational phrase together.

100% correct! But, listening to them more times than not leaves me wondering "What's he/she talking about?" I've often wondered if it's a cultural thing. Do they think the same about us when we talk (in Thai or English)?

Edited by djayz

6 hours ago, DezLez said:

You said "I have yet to meet one who could hold a decent conversation - in English or Thai"

Yes it offends me as you seem incapable of lifting your expectations and seem incapable of finding educated Thais to have an intelligent conversation with.  Hence my bar comment!  I am sorry if that bit offends you!

Ouch! That hurt... ???? ????

You have no idea of the Thais I've met. ????

Based on these, and other comments, you strike me as being a very sensitive creature. Are you in love? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The more revealing question is " How many countries speak the language in which you are proficient?."

For Thai it is only ONE. For English,Spanish and others ….? 

So because some countries invaded other countries and forced them to speak their languages, you don't have to learn the language of the country you are living in?

Perhaps rather than teaching English with English Teachers, Thai kids should be made to watch all 236 episodes (88 hours) of Friends.

Apparently,  you only need to understand 750 different words to comprehend 90% of all the episodes, or 4150 to cover 98% of the Friends vocabulary. 

See link for more details.

http://herbsusmann.com/2020/08/04/friends/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

There is/are? no end of kids.......12 to 15......careering around on motorbikes (modified exhausts obvs) all day long where we live......never in school.

I asked the wife what happens when they don't turn up at school......she shrugs and says nothing happens.

Nothing happens at school either so no damage done.. Sadly.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

I see India is about middle of the scale .....  isn't there some Indian taxi drivers in the UK ?

Yes there are... and I got one that could hardly speak English and didn't know where the one and only hospital was!

• Haha 1