Milk lovers pay premium for milk at Friendship

JensenZ

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Price of milk is set by the Thai government, i's one of the price controlled products.

If anyone is pricing it above the 95bht government set upper price, they should be reported to the authorities.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that, but it does explain why price increases have been few and small over the years. Back when I arrived in 2005 it was 70 baht for 2L.

Friendship always added 0.25 baht to the mainstream price, which didn't bother me and I purchased milk there, but this increase is insulting. I'll just get my milk at other outlets. 

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Friendship is kind of strange.

There are products which are Ok or cheaper than TOPS or other high price locations.

But for many products that I know they carry the winner label for highest price.

Up here 95 Baht as you mentioned.

They are definitely a mixed bag. I do get good deals there on many products and they carry items I can't get at other places.

Are you sure it was 'regular' plain milk with blue label for Meiji? 

I know they have a 'dry cow' problem for a while and supply of milk is spotty especially in larger sizes for restaurants, and they often have 'Barista Milk' or 'Lactose Free' milk that's usually 100+ baht in stead where that earns them more money 

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Are you sure it was 'regular' plain milk with blue label for Meiji? 

I know they have a 'dry cow' problem for a while and supply of milk is spotty especially in larger sizes for restaurants, and they often have 'Barista Milk' or 'Lactose Free' milk that's usually 100+ baht in stead where that earns them more money 

Yes, I'm absolutely sure it's the basic Meiji plain milk (blue cap), the low fat (light blue cap), and the zero fat (white cap). I buy a lot of milk so I'm quite familiar with regular milk products and the special creamy formulations. Meiji Barista is 101 baht at Big C and the "Ray" formulation is 99 baht, still well short of the 112 baht that Friendship is currently charging for regular Meiji milk. Sometimes I buy lactose-free milk for my wife, which is quite a bit more expensive.

Just now, dingdongrb said:

555......  I'm sure the majority of the tourists are running to Friendship and buying milk......  ????

They were quite busy yesterday. People don't necessarily run to stores to buy milk, but buy while they are there. I have noticed they sell a lot as the shelves are sometimes quite bare and they don't have the milk I'm looking for - someone is buying it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ive never found friendship good value vs Big C, Makro, market

Many things went up in price during the last months. But I always buy there meat, sausage, ham, bacon, spices and frozen vegetables. They are mostly cheaper than other shops. But it is also true that not everything is a bargain there. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Price of milk is set by the Thai government, it's one of the price controlled products.

If anyone is pricing it above the 95bht government set upper price, they should be reported to the authorities.

I prefer to buy 'Party Dairy' 2l milk from BigC for 83bht.

Talking about milk, some subejectively scientific observations:

I've had the habit of only buying the Meiji milk until couple of weeks ago, purely out of curiosity, thought I would try if any difference between different brands and started to buy different can every time until can not find new ones.

Bought a can of the red-labeled stuff, packed in cylindrical 2L can from BigC -> down to drain after taste. Too 'milky' odd taste to my mouth

Then tried the Foremost rectangular can -> same result, too much of the odd taste.

Next in line the Party Dairy from BigC (indeed 10 bath cheaper for some reason) -> taste identical to Meiji

Then the black-capped stuff in similar shape can with Meiji -> again, no difference to Meiji in my mouth.

Next Thai-Danmark in similar shape blue capped can as Meiji -> same taste with Meiji again.

Still to test at least the Chockchai brand 

I only use milk for coffee - but drink A LOT of coffee. Surprised the two odd tasting brands actually make even coffee taste not good to my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, mran66 said:

I've had the habit of only buying the Meiji milk until couple of weeks ago, purely out of curiosity, thought I would try if any difference between different brands and started to buy different can every time until can not find new ones.

Bought a can of the red-labeled stuff, packed in cylindrical 2L can from BigC -> down to drain after taste. Too 'milky' odd taste to my mouth

Then tried the Foremost rectangular can -> same result, too much of the odd taste.

Next in line the Party Dairy from BigC (indeed 10 bath cheaper for some reason) -> taste identical to Meiji

Then the black-capped stuff in similar shape can with Meiji -> again, no difference to Meiji in my mouth.

Next Thai-Danmark in similar shape blue capped can as Meiji -> same taste with Meiji again.

I only use milk for coffee - but drink A LOT of coffee. Surprised the two odd tasting brands actually make even coffee taste not good to my mouth.

I find most brands taste ok, with the noted exception of Dutch Mill. Chokchai has a slight edge IMO. Most brands have extra creamy formulations, which I like to use for coffee.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:40 PM, mran66 said:

I used to be a Chokchai buyer until I had a couple of dodgy bottles several years ago. Switched to Magnolia which has been my go-to ever since. I am just back from extended trips overseas and up here in Udon there's no large jugs of Magnolia 'leaded' or 'unleaded' in the usual outlets. With shortages and price hikes, maybe there's something afoot in the Thai dairy industry?

Edited by NanLaew

On 11/27/2022 at 2:50 PM, JensenZ said:

They were quite busy yesterday. People don't necessarily run to stores to buy milk, but buy while they are there. I have noticed they sell a lot as the shelves are sometimes quite bare and they don't have the milk I'm looking for - someone is buying it.

Maybe they are having similar supply problems to some of the 7-11s?  Several in  central Pattaya have been without on many occasions over the past couple of weeks.

PH

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, billd766 said:

I paid 95.75 baht for 2 litres of Meiji black cap milk in the local 7/11 in rural Kamphaeng Phet this morning.

Yes, it appears that only Friendship is charging 112 baht for regular Meiji. It's important to note that Friendship never marked up their milk in the past except rounding 91.75 to 92 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I wondered how long it was going to take for someone to come along and ridicule anyone who complains about a price increase. Thank you for being that guy - it's hillarious how predictable your type are.

Let me be quite clear. I started this thread to discuss a very unusual price increase. it's 18% higher than anywhere else in town. I'm not complaining about it because I can buy milk at the correct price on every street corner and every other supermarket.

Now if milk did geniunely increase by 18% overnight, it would not be a trivial matter as all dairy products would also increase in price by a similar percentage. Cheese, Yogurt, butter, baby forumulas and many other products. 

I will give you another predictable answer. Then buy your milk in the cheaper outlets.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Now if milk did geniunely increase by 18% overnight, it would not be a trivial matter as all dairy products would also increase in price by a similar percentage. Cheese, Yogurt, butter, baby forumulas and many other products. 

You apparently have no idea how markets and manufacturing works, do you?

Why does oil price go up one day but gasoline doesn't change price until weeks later?