Milk lovers pay premium for milk at Friendship

JensenZ

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I will give you a predictable answer. Read and comprehend the post you are responding to BEFORE you reply to it.

JensenZ has already said that he can buy milk at the correct price, so there was no point in your reply to him.

As, with your post to me, over something that did not concern you. However, we are not alone. The whole forum is filled with pointless posts. Try read it sometimes, it´s rather amusing.

16 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

It's hard to get any milk these days. Mejii has been sold out for more than a week already. Lord knows why...

Yeah I have noticed that in my local 7-11... previously never a problem with the shelves all full... often now only those silly little bottles. Cows on strike or some udder problem?

• Haha 2

On 12/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, dingdongrb said:

You apparently have no idea how markets and manufacturing works, do you?

Why does oil price go up one day but gasoline doesn't change price until weeks later?

I get from this that the price of cows has gone up and their milk price is just now catching up. I like it.

• Like 1

Interesting to read other places complaining about the lack of decent milk around, I thought it was just Khok Kloi, Phang Nga where I live.  The local Lotus is out of milk more often than it has any, if you aren't in there the day they get a delivery forget it!  Rubbish compared to when it was Tesco, and that wasn't impressive.   Today no milk there, 3 branches of 7/11 also none apart from mini bottles.  What is going on? 

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I get from this that the price of cows has gone up and their milk price is just now catching up. I like it.

Wow, you really don't have any idea, do you? <sad>

(Signed contracts with pricing already finalized also plays a part.)

On 11/27/2022 at 11:21 AM, BritManToo said:

Price of milk is set by the Thai government, it's one of the price controlled products.

If anyone is pricing it above the 95bht government set upper price, they should be reported to the authorities.

I prefer to buy 'Party Dairy' 2l milk from BigC for 83bht.

I prefer to buy 'Party Dairy' 2l milk from BigC for 83bht......That's What I Buy as well, But bought 2L Last Tuesday Dated BBF 9/DEC ......And it's Getting Taken back tomorrow 4/DEC as it's Gone Off in the Fridge....

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

So glad I never retired in Pattaya if the price of milk becomes the main topic of conversation ???? 

Fair suck of the sauce bottle Bloke. It's been "Low Season".

Next month the price of a cuddle will be news-breaking.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

I needed lactose free milk. Bought it, absolutely disgusting taste, yellowy color and thick. Why, lactose free should be very very similar taste as normal milk ?? I threw it away, thought it was off. Tried more after and it was the same awful stuff. I’ve been using it for ages in France/ Italy , lots of places and it’s fine. 

On 12/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, dingdongrb said:

You apparently have no idea how markets and manufacturing works, do you?

Why does oil price go up one day but gasoline doesn't change price until weeks later?

That's a ridiculous argument. If all dairy products increased immediately or after a few weeks, it is irrelevant as I did not offer a period of time over which the increases would be relialized and did not suggst it would be immediate.

You have no idea at all about dairy products. They are all made from milk. If milk goes up, all dairy products go up, and almost immediately as milk spoils, whereas petroleum or crude oil can be stored for a much longer time.  

However, this topic is not about a price increase in milk. It's about one store hiking the price by nearly 20%.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

I needed lactose free milk. Bought it, absolutely disgusting taste, yellowy color and thick. Why, lactose free should be very very similar taste as normal milk ?? I threw it away, thought it was off. Tried more after and it was the same awful stuff. I’ve been using it for ages in France/ Italy , lots of places and it’s fine. 

Lactose free milk will be sweeter because lactose is broken down by the enzyme lactase into the simple sugars galactose and glucose. You can buy 0%, 2% and full-fat (around 4%) lactose free milk. There are a number of different brands available in Thailand, so try a few. You may find one that you like.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, JensenZ said:

So this leaves me to wonder if a huge increase is due

Most definitely, the cost of energy will be reflected at all steps of the supply chain. Wages will go up, which will push prices up, even further, and so on. In one word: stagflation.

15 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Most definitely, the cost of energy will be reflected at all steps of the supply chain. Wages will go up, which will push prices up, even further, and so on. In one word: stagflation.

Of course I'm aware of general inflation and that prices will increase over time, and that rising energy costs are a big factor. The cost of energy was not a subject of my post.

The statement you isolated from my post was taken out of context.

My first thoughts when I walked into Friendship and observed the price of the milk at 112 baht (2L - plain milk) was whether or not this was a general price increase at all outlets. The price had already increased a few weeks earlier. The price of milk at Friendship has always been the same as it was everywhere else so it was a logical assumption that the price had increased by the same everywhere.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

So glad I never retired in Pattaya if the price of milk becomes the main topic of conversation ???? 

It doesn't matter what you post about, there's also some pod making dumb comments.

This is the first time I've ever seen a post on milk in the 16 years I've been active here. Hardly a "main topic of conversation". To think you wasted time replying to a milk thread indicates how exciting your current retirement in Australia must be.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:58 AM, jacko45k said:

Yeah I have noticed that in my local 7-11... previously never a problem with the shelves all full... often now only those silly little bottles. Cows on strike or some udder problem?

I stop at a number of different 7Elevens in my area, and I too noticed that the large 2L containers were in short supply. At first I thought it was the time of day/night that I was there, but then noticed the shortage on many occasions. Perhaps the flooding up north is responsible as pastures are under water.

27 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Tourists do buy milk. In Pattaya, a large percentage of tourists live in apartments and buy groceries.

Really? Are they really tourists? When I have a holiday I don't want to do any cooking, cleaning, etc.

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

Really? Are they really tourists? When I have a holiday I don't want to do any cooking, cleaning, etc.

Everyone travels differently. There are a lot of tourists that stay in apartments for weeks or months and do regular shopping. Even if they stay in hotels, they'll pick up milk at the local store.

When I travel myself, and stay in hotels, I buy milk at the local 7-11. In hotels they usually provide creamer - I prefer milk in my tea/coffee and I like to drink it straight too. 2L does not last long in my fridge.