What travel warnings do other nations give their citizens about US violence?

Scott

image.png

(CNN) — American travelers -- at least those of the cautious variety -- might be familiar with the US State Department's travel advisories.
The agency monitors the world for potential trouble and issues warnings from "Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions" to "Level 4: Do Not Travel," alerting would-be visitors to terrorism threats, war, arbitrary enforcement of local laws, high crime rates and other personal security issues.
But have you ever wondered how other countries' governments caution their citizens about coming to the United States? What kind of reputation does America have?

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Haha 1

Never honk your car's horn.

Don't go to Washington DC.

Keep away from people with red caps.

If you find yourself in a place where a certain five-letter word that begins with T is prominently displayed and people are uppity about it be elsewhere.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The OP does raise an interesting question, few of us bother looking for advice when travelling to our home countries, I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Here's the latest UK travel advisory for the US 

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

And, just to keep things level, the latest US travel advisory for the UK 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/united-kingdom-travel-advisory.html

EDIT Having read both of those, I think I'll stay here ???? 

Why would I look for advice when traveling to my home country. I know the dangers of poor neighborhoods, so I stay away. Pretty much the same in any country. 

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why would I look for advice when traveling to my home country. I know the dangers of poor neighborhoods, so I stay away. Pretty much the same in any country. 

Exactly, we never check when travelling "home", which is the whole purpose of this thread asking "What do others say about us?".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Stay out of the inner cities and away from druggie areas and you will be just fine. If you are not BIPOC, you should be fine- 2/3 of murder victims are People of Colour. As well, African Americans are 8 times more likely to be the killer than other races on a per capita basis.  To be brutally honest, a lot/most murders in the US are black/hispanic young men killing other black/hispanic young men in poor urban areas.  

Other random shootings and killings are statistically insignifacant and not worth worrying about.

The rest of the country is peaceful, safe, and in places astonishingly beautiful. The best National Park system in the world. 

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Stay out of the inner cities and away from druggie areas and you will be just fine. If you are not BIPOC, you should be fine- 2/3 of murder victims are People of Colour. As well, African Americans are 8 times more likely to be the killer than other races on a per capita basis.  To be brutally honest, a lot/most murders in the US are black/hispanic young men killing other black/hispanic young men in poor urban areas.  

Other random shootings and killings are statistically insignifacant and not worth worrying about.

The rest of the country is peaceful, safe, and in places astonishingly beautiful. The best National Park system in the world. 

Interesting. What makes it better than the national park systems in say France, Sweden, Japan?

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Interesting. What makes it better than the national park systems in say France, Sweden, Japan?

More parks, more variety, fabulous facilities, scale.  Totals half the land area of France, or the same size as Japan. You can also buy a pass for $80 that gets you AND your carful of family into every facility run by the National Park Service in the country for a year. One of the great tourism bargains in the world.

Then, each state has its own State Park system. These are often equal to the National Parks in beauty and historic interest.  Arizona alone has 31 State Parks.  

This is one thing the Americans do really really well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

More parks, more variety, fabulous facilities, scale.  Totals half the land area of France, or the same size as Japan. You can also buy a pass for $80 that gets you AND your carful of family into every facility run by the National Park Service in the country for a year. One of the great tourism bargains in the world.

Then, each state has its own State Park system. These are often equal to the National Parks in beauty and historic interest.  Arizona alone has 31 State Parks.  

This is one thing the Americans do really really well. 

US National and State Parks are indeed astounding.

• Like 1