Abandoned, Ailing Australian Woman Gets Help

webfact

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Whatever the facts, she is going to die if it doesn't so I wonder what your thinking is here... She clearly doesn't have the money.

“Nor should it …”. That does not state that the Thai people will not answer to humanitarian needs. As to her not having the money? I cannot determine that conclusion without additional knowledge of the facts that are yet to be made public. Maybe, maybe not …

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I believe they (police) have an emergency number. :unsure:

8 hours ago, nausea said:

Probably bed sores. Once you get sick things compound. Anyway, good someone is taking care at last.

sad to be abandoned like this. Poor woman. Hope her govt. will take over and resolve the case.

• Like 2

Why are you all on about the pensions ??  As many have said, there’s a lot more to this story. Immigration can see if she’s here on holiday or not, when she entered , doctors can tell when she was amputated, possible where, what the burns are, bed sores or not. I’m quite sure a front page story in Thai newspapers would have info if she lived in Thailand. 
Name search by Thai Police .

There was a story a few years back about an unknown man found in London, he had Alzheimer’s. He was dressed in brand new clothes and shoes and had no identity papers. He was put in a home and the nurses took great care of this poor old soul. Eventually it was found that he’d been brought to UK by his American family, abandoned, as , ( their story) they couldn’t afford the care needed in the US.

Heartbreaking, can’t remember the outcome but he was a long time in UK. 
lots of possibilities concerning this poor lady. They’ve probably got more info by now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marley01 said:

We have an Embassy??

Yes we do. The embassy has said many times they don't/can't give handouts to everybody and not surprising. But if you read their script a bit further there are other possibilities.

Another slant, if you call consular they are very willing to calmly talk and discuss, and I learned some valuable information about 'who should be informed in Australia when an ozzie passes away abroad' and several other concerns. The consular lady ended with a polite 'don't hesitate to call us anytime if you need clarification, advice of what's possible etc'. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Their list of things they "cannot" do is pretty extensive.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/consular-services/consular-services-charter

What we can’t do

Some tasks are outside the consular role. For example, we can’t:

• guarantee your safety and security in another country or make your travel arrangements
  • give you legal advice, interpret or translate documents
  • intervene in another country’s court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes, criminal cases, and family law matters or child custody disputes
  • investigate crimes or deaths overseas, or carry out searches for missing people, which are the responsibility of local authorities
  • get you out of prison or prevent you from being deported
  • get you better treatment in prison than local prisoners
  • post bail or pay your fines or legal expenses
  • enforce an Australian or any other custody agreement overseas or compel a country to decide a custody case
  • pay for medical or psychiatric services or medications
  • pay your pension or social security benefits
  • arrange visas, licences, work or residency permits for other countries
  • intervene in immigration, customs or quarantine matters in other countries
  • store luggage or other personal items
  • receive or send postal items on your behalf

Our assistance may be limited in some circumstances

You don’t have a legal right to consular assistance and you shouldn’t assume assistance will be provided. For example, we may limit assistance where:

• your actions were illegal
  • you’ve deliberately or repeatedly acted recklessly or negligently
  • you put yourself or others at risk
  • you’ve demonstrated a repeated pattern of behaviour requiring multiple instances of consular assistance previously

they were quick out of the starters gate when Shane Warne had his demise.

11 hours ago, heybuz said:

they were quick out of the starters gate when Shane Warne had his demise.

Yes the list of 'cannot do' is extensive.

Seems to me that list has been progresively built from case by case situations. And will probably be added to as more situations deelop/occur.

Nothing on that 'cannot do' list is IMHO surprising.

Eligibility

Age Requirements

The pension age will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below.

Period within which a person was born Pension age Date pension age changes
From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 1953 65 years and 6 months 1 July 2017
From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955 66 years 1 July 2019
From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956 66 years and 6 months 1 July 2021
From 1 January 1957 onwards 67 years 1 July 2023

You are also required to live in Australia for a minimum period of two years before applying for the pension.  If you are away from Australia for more than six weeks Centrelink strips your pension of all the extras, like energy subsidy etc.

From what I understand Centrelink will not pay your pension into an overseas account.  I get mine paid into a Australian account and transfer by Wise.

It should be noted that Embassies exist for the principle reason of government to government relations not for the convenience of expats.  It may seem anti expat and in my view it is.  The only reason the embassy will get involved if you are reported dead.  They will inform Centrelink immediately so they stop payment of the pension.