Abandoned, Ailing Australian Woman Gets Help

webfact

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

They will eventually have to send her back to her country through her embassy or on their own dime.

Thailand definitely isn't going to foot the bill for a sick homeless foreigner. 

Neither will the Australian government, at best they will provide a list of local medical, legal etc, (at the woman's expense) loan the money for travel back to Australia

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

If she doesn't already receive the pension, she could possibly apply and then if successful she could pay a carer to look after her.   just saying  ....

No way she would get the pension unless she applies in Aus.

Centrelink like to cause as much hassle as they can

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Neither will the Australian government, at best they will provide a list of local medical, legal etc, (at the woman's expense) loan the money for travel back to Australia

Unfortunately there's loads of others in her position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Probably bed sores. Once you get sick things compound. Anyway, good someone is taking care at last.

And if you don't have much money then you find out pretty quickly how cruel this world can be. The story says the Australian Embassy has been contacted and hopefully they can help her out. 

With luck they'll live to the reputation they created for themselves in "The Embassy" TV show that was on Channel 9 a few years back. 

https://www.newmandala.org/the-embassy-a-review/

8 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

No way she would get the pension unless she applies in Aus.

Centrelink like to cause as much hassle as they can

Is it Centrelink or Canberra? I still don't get why you have to be in Australia to get something your taxes have paid for. Because they're afraid of all that money leaving the country? They should worry more about what Choina's gunna do with all that iron ore that Gina and Twiggy are digging up and sending to them by the shipload.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Is it Centrelink or Canberra? I still don't get why you have to be in Australia to get something your taxes have paid for. Because they're afraid of all that money leaving the country? They should worry more about what Choina's gunna do with all that iron ore that Gina and Twiggy are digging up and sending to them by the shipload.

To get the pension you need to be a resident at the time of application

Not in Aus dont even try

1 minute ago, Grumpy one said:

To get the pension you need to be a resident at the time of application

Not in Aus dont even try

I guess what I meant was, is it a Centrelink rule or something that the politicians came up with? I've never really delved that deep into it as I'm still a few years away from the pension age and with luck my investment plan will mean I won't qualify for it.

I think people watch too many hollywood movies, where Jason Bourne just has to make it to the embassy and everything will be ok.

Embassies/consulates of all countries, don't arrange of pay for services for their citizens, at best they will provide a list of local accommodation, medical, legal resources, BUT, they wont be paying for the services. They dont feed you, house you, take you to the doctors, or pay any of your bills.

Most will provide some sort of loan for repatriation back home, but otherwise you are on your own.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

An Australian tourist in Norway can apply for an Australian pension? Bear in mind that the reciprocal agreement provides that the pension in this case would be funded and paid by Norway.

Then you do not understand the agreement with your question . As I said earlier it has to do with portability of your pension points earned .

Of course there are other advantages with the social agreement . 

Norway would be not paying any pension for the situation you mention . If the Australian was choosing to live in Norway then the Australian state pension fund would be obligated to pay without returning to Australia .

8 minutes ago, BumGun said:

what the hell did I just read. Must be some back story, leg amputation from diabetes, covered in bed sores ? How dd she get to Thailand ? on one leg and then deteriorate and abandoned by her "friend" ? getting home will be... tricky ? hope she has a place back here to come to ?

"I think that this is general perception of all western embassies. The staff are just cocktail party people. "

I was told by the Australian Embassy in Camboida (via email cant get an appointment as an Aussie) they are there to facilitate trade, not to assist Australians citizens.

she was flat out on a stretcher mate so pretty hard for the journo to interrogate the poor dear. I doubt they'll do a follow up unless we pester them to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just in case you'd be asking where the Australian embassy in all of that, don't bother, those lofty perched bureaucrats  are not interested in helping Aussies unless it's hit the main news papers.

That's exactly the same for every embassy.
That is not the task from the Embassy.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Their list of things they "cannot" do is pretty extensive.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/consular-services/consular-services-charter

What we can’t do

Some tasks are outside the consular role. For example, we can’t:

• guarantee your safety and security in another country or make your travel arrangements
  • give you legal advice, interpret or translate documents
  • intervene in another country’s court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes, criminal cases, and family law matters or child custody disputes
  • investigate crimes or deaths overseas, or carry out searches for missing people, which are the responsibility of local authorities
  • get you out of prison or prevent you from being deported
  • get you better treatment in prison than local prisoners
  • post bail or pay your fines or legal expenses
  • enforce an Australian or any other custody agreement overseas or compel a country to decide a custody case
  • pay for medical or psychiatric services or medications
  • pay your pension or social security benefits
  • arrange visas, licences, work or residency permits for other countries
  • intervene in immigration, customs or quarantine matters in other countries
  • store luggage or other personal items
  • receive or send postal items on your behalf

Our assistance may be limited in some circumstances

You don’t have a legal right to consular assistance and you shouldn’t assume assistance will be provided. For example, we may limit assistance where:

• your actions were illegal
  • you’ve deliberately or repeatedly acted recklessly or negligently
  • you put yourself or others at risk
  • you’ve demonstrated a repeated pattern of behaviour requiring multiple instances of consular assistance previously

They should provide a list from what they can do, It would only take a few Lines and Quicker to Read.    ????

4 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It's absolutely disgusting that so many people like to take photo's or videos of people in times of anguish or pain.

Very common here at accident scenes - horrible!

Agreed. I gave 100 baht to a homeless man in Pattaya this morning and was tempted to take a photo and post it just to show his plight in the hope that others might take pity on him and help him as well. I didn't for precisely this reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just in case you'd be asking where the Australian embassy in all of that, don't bother, those lofty perched bureaucrats  are not interested in helping Aussies unless it's hit the main news papers.

Correct might have also help if there was a photo opportunity or they could show how supportive they were of minority groups but not in a case like this. 

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

As others have said, a lot is missing from the story.

People overestimate the roll of embassies, their role isn't to pay your bills, take care of your medical needs, they don't automatically step in every time one of their citizens goes to hospital.

67 year old, one legged women dont just appear in Thailand. One can presume she has somehow got herself here, has otherwise somehow been paying the bills, feeding herself etc, been responsible for her own circumstances.

..she needs to hop on a plane a get back home quickly!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

They will eventually have to send her back to her country through her embassy or on their own dime.

Thailand definitely isn't going to foot the bill for a sick homeless foreigner. 

I am thinking, nor should it. But then, I like the rest do not know the facts of this case.