Thai and Dutch tourists robbed of valuables at Pattaya hotel

webfact

It's almost comical reading all of the assumptions people make in their comments here.
The door was quite apparently locked. The article says, "Pol. Capt. Sontaya inspected Mr. Christian’s room and found traces of tampering." I'm doing a bit of assuming myself here, but at least there is some evidence from this that the door was locked and the thieves made their way in anyway. Anyone who has stayed in cheap hotels in Thailand can tell you that with many of them, it isn't particularly difficult to be able to tell, from outside a room, when someone is in their shower. No need to conjure up ridiculous scenarios about Ae conspiring with her friends to let them know when he's in the shower and that they can go for it or any other variation of nonsense I read in comments here. And especially when it doesn't even appear that there is any connection whatsoever between Ae and the Dutch guy! They are two completely separate incidents of her purse being snatched outside the hotel and the theft from the guy's room inside.

I haven't read many comments for a while on this site... and now I remember why... maybe about 1 in 20, at best, have any value in reading, while the vast majority are utter nonsense or just plain stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Idiots. You are in a hotel, a place full of people you do not, from any country and any class of people. LOCK THE FLAMING DOOR !

I guess you are perfect and never have been relaxing on holiday. A shower can be 5 minutes more/less. A lot of peeps may forget or not think to lock. It's very common and I bet you even have done this once in your life. Many motel/hotels are super easy break ins anyways. I would be more concerned how bold this was. How far he/she had to walk into the room and what if the guy finished and came right out? 

Edited by alex8912

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I think the same... Normally things like this happen if you invite an "entertainer" to your room. It is highly unlikely that a thief enters an occupied room and has the luck to find cash on the table. And at the same time the owner is taking a shower and doesn't realise what happens. 

Of course we are speculating!

After arriving the deal is set payment is requested up front money is place on stand or left LOL,   darling go shower first unsuspecting too drunk while inside friends of Ae come in grab money make it look like a breakin?  Pretends part of plan her bag get grabbed follow Ae that path leads to the other two. ????.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Whatever and however it happens, sorry only an IDIOT leaves CASH out in the open !!!!!!

I'm not sure I get what "out in the open" means to you. Leaving stuff out in your private, locked room qualifies as "out in the open" to you? If that's the case, when one goes to take a shower, they should lock up their laptop, wallet, jewelry, artwork, mobile phone, etc....? Personally, my laptop is on my desk and one may find my mobile there or on the kitchen counter at any given time.... I don't worry at all about leaving money or jewelry out on my desk either (I might think twice about leaving it there if anything had a high value and I were to leave my home, not just in the shower, but in the context of this story, we're talking very small amounts of money.). And I don't take any artwork off the walls or from other display areas they may be sitting when I leave my place, they are VERY MUCH "out in the open". I think I would behave similarly in the context of a hotel room as well.
Perhaps you misread the story and you thought the guy was in a public place rather than in his private, locked hotel room, which he hadn't even left, but was just in the shower?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thairookie said:

Doesn't the hotel have CCTV ?  It will show who entered the room.  If nobody entered the room, then it's clear that the Thai g/f took it.????

Except that no "Thai g/f" was mentioned in the story.....???? Only a woman who had her purse snatched outside when the thieves were making their getaway on their motorbike. And there is nothing in the article to lead one to believe that the Thai lady and the Dutch man had anything to do with each other.

• Like 2

For all those who have assumed Ae was in the room with the robbed tourist...she wasn't. He was in the room alone.

From the linked OP

"Ae, a Thai female victim, told police she saw two skinny male suspects standing about 170 cm and 160 cm aged 20-30 years old running past her. She said she did not raise her guard, thinking the suspects were only the hotel’s guests until the suspects hopped on their motorbike, turned back, and snatched a purse from her before escaping."

For Shame

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Dutch victim then came out after finishing bathing to find his cash missing and signs of someone having entered his room.

Did he put the chain on the door? Perhaps never been to Thailand before or very naive if thinks no one might enter while he was in the shower.

It's like the ones hide the money in the room when going out and it's gone when comes back. Most places seem to have a safe in room now, or if not use the hotel safety box.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Note to self, if i come home at 4am to take a shower from a night out and probably drunk,  LOCK the DOOR. 

It seems that this guy made that same note to himself. It appears he locked the door and the thieves made there way in anyway. The police, according to the article, found "tampering" - which I'm assuming they meant tampering to the door... but thanks to absolute <deleted> the usual kind of reporting that this article is from, it is impossible to be completely sure exactly what kind of tampering the police found. But it is normal to lock your door, of course, so I would assume this guy did and the tampering was evidenced at the door latch.

11 minutes ago, Sig said:

Perhaps you misread the story and you thought the guy was in a public place rather than in his private, locked hotel room, which he hadn't even left, but was just in the shower?

If you believe that an hotel room in Thailand is a secure place, I have a bridge for sale.

Can't remember how many news items I've seen about stuff being robbed from hotel rooms, but it's been a lot.

1 minute ago, Sig said:

It seems that this guy made that same note to himself. It appears he locked the door and the thieves made there way in anyway. The police, according to the article, found "tampering" - which I'm assuming they meant tampering to the door... but thanks to absolute <deleted> the usual kind of reporting that this article is from, it is impossible to be completely sure exactly what kind of tampering the police found. But it is normal to lock your door, of course, so I would assume this guy did and the tampering was evidenced at the door latch.

It's never enough just to lock the door. Use the chain as well.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's never enough just to lock the door. Use the chain as well.

Yes, of course. You are right. I guess I would consider that as obvious and a part of "locking the door" and going without saying.

19 minutes ago, Sig said:

Yes, of course. You are right. I guess I would consider that as obvious and a part of "locking the door" and going without saying.

Don’t forget to hide your laptop in the toilet tank when you leave so the maid does not steal it. Hopefully she does not clean the toilet and flush it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you believe that an hotel room in Thailand is a secure place, I have a bridge for sale.

Can't remember how many news items I've seen about stuff being robbed from hotel rooms, but it's been a lot.

I never mentioned anything on my thoughts regarding hotels rooms being a secure place, but being robbed at a hotel room is far from a common occurrence. I'm sure it happens, but I don't actually recall reading an article of an instance. Being burglarized is not particularly rare though. Of course this was a burglary, but unusual in that the room was occupied at the time. I don't consider hotel rooms, when not occupied, as a secure place to leave valuables, pretty much anywhere in the world. Yes, I do think that a hotel room in Thailand - a very broad generalization - (this of course includes Keemala Phuket, 137 Pillars and Four Seasons in Chiangmai, or Sofitel in BKK along with the cheap backpacker hostels) is, generally speaking, a secure place to leave small sums of cash on the table while one is occupying the room. I guess you can offer me your bridge.

43 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I never made one about leaving wads of cash out ????????‍♂️

4,000 baht = a wad of cash? Wow, and here I was thinking that I should be making more of my finances, not realizing that I was a wadster! ????

If he knew Ae the woman, she probably left the room with the door open when he went into the shower and signaled them to come in (or possibly just left it open, but not as likely because in person purse snatching is very rare in Thailand, especially in an enclosed space and not via motorbike).

The article said he knew her and he yelled for her and she was in the hall outside the room. That means she was around when he went into the shower.

The police should check her cell phone for recent calls.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Idiots. You are in a hotel, a place full of people you do not, from any country and any class of people. LOCK THE FLAMING DOOR !

I appears like you're under the impression that he didn't lock his door... but according to the article, it appears that he did have his door and it was "tampered" with.
At any rate, your advice is good, although I think that if my door were "FLAMING", I'd be more likely to unlock it and get the heck out of there!

5 minutes ago, Sig said:

I appears like you're under the impression that he didn't lock his door... but according to the article, it appears that he did have his door and it was "tampered" with.
At any rate, your advice is good, although I think that if my door were "FLAMING", I'd be more likely to unlock it and get the heck out of there!

Not if you’re a “FLAMER” and your in the shower.

• Haha 1