Wise (Transferwise)....what is the latest with them?

Haven't transferred any money here (from Australia) for a couple of years but before used wise and found them excellent. Seen quite a few grumbles and problems pop up in the forums, though never really read them. Are they still ok and reliable? Transferring money from Australia to Thailand

Any help appreciated

30 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Transferring money from Australia to Thailand

Over the past 10 days I have used Wise to transfer A$200K from my NAB savings account to my SCB savings account, in bite sized chunks of $40K each time.

On average each transfer took 4-5 days following their receipt of my money.

So, yes... they are reliable... but a bit slow.

image.png.97827db00650e9dabf55c2fffd10ab5d.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

None of my Transfers to BKK Bank are arriving as FTT anymore even though I specify "Funds for Long Term Stay", BUT must say haven't tried "Buying Property" will try that on the next transfer.

All mine arrived at Bkk Bank as FTT for last year using long term stay option., but tomorrow I send again to arrive 1st Dec. Will let you know.

Here was my situation from my post a couple of weeks ago. I’ve yet to find a suitable solution but I’m happy to see others have generally had good success. 

Hi, I just wanted to post incase other have this problem.  I’m new to Wise (transfer) only setting my account up last Thursday.  My home base is Canada - TD Bank, and my banking here in Thailand is Bangkok Bank.

Following the online screens on the Wise app, I set up my first Canadian to Baht transfer/exchange using the INTERAC eTransfer method.  Wise indicates the process to initially take a few minutes with the final exchange/deposit taking a few hours.

Proceeding with the transfer, Wise sent me an email with the INTERAC eTransfer link.  Already populated with the information. Account numbers, amount etc.  

Clicking the link gave me an host of Canadian bank options, I chose mine, logged in and initiated the transfer.  Sure enough the money was instantly removed from my account.  So far, so good.

The problem being the next steps never happened.  The first time I contact Wise, the “auto helper” told me it can take up to 2 days - but I still filled out the missing money form and attach 8 screen shots of my transaction process.  Then I wait.  Two days later, the “auto helper” tells me - not on weekends.  So I wait.  On Monday evening after still no response to my concern message, I send another message to Wise, this time their Customer Service.

Wednesday morning is the first response I get from an individual at Wise - After the original Thursday evening Transfer attempt. They respond with (paraphrasing) we don’t have your money, check with your bank and Interact. We suggest NOT using INTERAC eTransfer in the future.

Wow, so I phone TD Bank (thanks to the FonGo app) and I’m told that Wise is having trouble receiving the transfer, perhaps I could contact them and have them check with their security dept.  Huh, that seems a stretch for me.  The other option was TD Bank could put in a request to retrieve my funds.  I went ahead with that and minutes later the Canadian funds were back in my TD Bank.

So that’s, that.  I’m not necessarily complaining but just wanted to point out my experience.  

Wayne

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

None of my Transfers to BKK Bank are arriving as FTT anymore even though I specify "Funds for Long Term Stay", BUT must say haven't tried "Buying Property" will try that on the next transfer.

I just did another transfer 30.000 THB with Buying Property specified as Reason, and it arrived almost instantly and at BKK Bank it said "Transfer from A/C at other bank" thus NO FTT (again)

14 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

You may know this already but you can ask WISE to "tag" your account so that it only goes through Bangkok Bank on the transfer.  That's a reliable way to ensure the "FTT" code, if that matters to you.

Caveat: it may take hours instead of seconds to completed the transfer.  Mine are normally completed within 6 hours using a "tagged" account.

I know that it can take days / hours and I also know about the 2pm settling time I have done many transfers alreday but just the last couple arrive from within Thailand.

i again send them an email asking why and to tag my account but I don’t have a high regard of their helpdesk as the last email I send they replied something about that money hasn’t arrived and what to do about that while the money was already in the account here in Thailand.

i urged them to read the email again and they then come up with some … that I have to go to Kasikorn bank 

As expected NO use that Helpdesk. This is the email I received.

xxxxxx (Wise)

Nov 30, 2022, 06:55 UTC

Hello.

Thanks for getting in touch!

I checked your transfer XXXXXXXX and it was sent out 5 hours ago.

I do really understand your concern and if your recipient Bank is Kasikorn Bank or Bangkok Bank:

1. Set transfer amount to THB

2. Add recipient details

3. Choose Kasikorn Bank or Bangkok Bank Public Company as the Recipient Bank

4. Enter account number

5. On Transfer Purpose: Select “Funds for long term stay in Thailand” or “Purchase of Property”

6. Review transfer details and Confirm

7. Select Payin method and pay for your transfer

8. You’re all set! 

Your transfer should be marked as International Transfer in your recipient bank’s app, website, or passbook.*

I replied, I ....... did all that and it still arrived as Transfer from Local Bank. ????

Every other Friday I receive money into my US bank account that I then send to my Kasikorn bank account.  I have been using Wise for this purpose for months with the transfer taking only seconds.  Two weeks ago, for the first time, it was delayed until Monday.  Today I'm being told it will take until Tuesday.  This is a massive degradation in service and it looks like Wise, for whatever reasons, can no longer be relied upon.

What other International Transfer services are available that don't take too long?  I don't need seconds.  Hours or even a day is OK.  Multi-days is not acceptable.

Thank you for your recommendations.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Every other Friday I receive money into my US bank account that I then send to my Kasikorn bank account.  I have been using Wise for this purpose for months with the transfer taking only seconds.  Two weeks ago, for the first time, it was delayed until Monday.  Today I'm being told it will take until Tuesday.  This is a massive degradation in service and it looks like Wise, for whatever reasons, can no longer be relied upon. 

Yes they can.. My 6 transfers last month all took less than 10 seconds.

I just got the transfer to go through by breaking it up into many smaller transactions.  This cost a little more but not too bad.

"Yes they can.. My 6 transfers last month all took less than 10 seconds. "

Looks like they can still do smaller transactions of a few thousand baht in size at that speed (at least on a payday Friday, maybe its better on other days).

26 minutes ago, Sup3rfarang said:

What other International Transfer services are available that don't take too long?  I don't need seconds.  Hours or even a day is OK.  Multi-days is not acceptable.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I transfer weekly. I have done so for 3 years now without a delay or hiccup. 

You transferred over a major Thai bank holiday. Who's fault is it that you can't read a calendar? 

"Surely you can plan ahead?"

"Who's fault is it that you can't read a calendar?"

You meet some of the nicest people on aseannow.

Let's work on reading comprehension, shall we?  I stated this same thing happened the last time I tried two weeks ago.  Was that also a Thai bank holiday?

And seeing that I have since been able to send smaller transactions it looks like a bank holiday (i.e. not being able to process transactions until after the holiday) is not the barrier.

Is it at all possible for some forum members to provide helpful suggestions rather then opening with condescending attacks?  Does being so condescending help you feel so much better about your selves?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Anyone else noticed that TransferWise UK > Thailand now takes till next working day?

A few weeks back it was 7 seconds!

Anything to do with UK change to Winter time? 

i’ve noticed this too. they also asked me to re-verify one of my accounts. 

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I’ve made two transfers from the UK so far this month … same as always…money arrives 14:02/03 Hrs the next day … International Transfer

Two of my three were under 10 seconds, the other got caught up in the Thai holiday on 6th December.

I always transfer funds from my UK bank account to my WISE account and then instruct the transfer from there.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Anyone else noticed that TransferWise UK > Thailand now takes till next working day?

Would be good to get more detail on these recent transfers.

I arranged a UK bank to Wise to SCB transfer on Thirsday 15th with 'general expenses' as a reason. This was at 7pm Thai time. Took 4 seconds.

On 30th Nov I arranged my retirement extension transfer, UK bank to Wise to BBank, with 'Funds for long term stay in Thailand' as reason. Arrived 2pm on 1st December as FTT.

No delays.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 12/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, FARANG KIWI said:

Nothing to do with "Winter time".

How you fund it, whether you use a Wise multicurrency acount, value of the transaction and the reason for the transfer could all affect the time taken but you haven't mentioned details for any of these so I doubt if you'll get any decent feedback.