World Cup result: How the USA beat Iran to set up round of 16 clash with Netherlands

Scott

Christian Pulisic scores

The United States have beaten Iran 1-0 to qualify for the 2022 World Cup round of 16, where they will play the Netherlands.

Christian Pulisic scored the only goal of the game as the USMNT preserved their undefeated record against Iran. The Chelsea forward suffered an abdominal injury while scoring the goal, however, and was later taken to hospital.

In the other Group B match on Tuesday England beat Wales 3-0. They will play Group A runners-up Senegal for a place in the quarter-finals.

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/usmnt-vs-iran-world-cup-2022-live-score-updates-result/svs71ZXB8RSo/

The Athletic - Sports news, stories, scores, schedules ...

36 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Good win for the US, would love to see football grow in the US. Hope they can field a strong team in the next WC (which will be held in the US/Canada/Mexico).

If they can get far it should give the sport of football a strong boost.

It's been boosted a lot already.

Barron Trump is trying to be a professional footballer.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1998 World Cup. Iran vs USA.

I was in Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland, the only yank in the pub.

At that time, Iran was a certifiable enemy of the United States, so a match between the two was a pretty big deal. 

Being an American, I was not well versed in the intricacies of the game. But for this game, I didnt need to be.

You see, you don't have to be a genius to know that when your team is charging down the field, and one guy passes the ball to another....... but puts the ball 15 feet behind him, thereby killing any and all forward momentum........  you're not witnessing high quality play!

This happened again and again!

The Iranians weren't great, but they didn't need to be. Because the Americans looked like a Pee Wee League team, in comparison!

(The defense used by the Americans seemed to be the Bullfighter Defense: Wave a red cape in front of them for a bit, then wave 'em on by! Ole!)

Iran won, 2 - 1. It was the first time Iran had EVER won a World Cup match......... in the history of World Cup play. Very humiliating! Especially since everyone in the pub (er, except me) seemed to be THRILLED that America got its collective posteriors kicked!

But at least........ 24 years later...... I can say "Congratulations!" to America's team, for their dazzling 1 - 0 World Cup win over Iran! 

(Of course, the best you could do was a draw against Wales? With WALES? Is Wales even able to field a full team????Jaysus!)

Cheers!

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Love It 1

Ah, I wish the USA could just send the women's team, instead...........

Given that they've won more World Cups altogether than the men's team has scored goals so far in this tournament, I think the women's team would stand a much better chance against the remaining competition!

Prediction: Netherlands 3 - 1

22 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Given that they've won more World Cups altogether than the men's team has scored goals so far in this tournament, I think the women's team would stand a much better chance against the remaining competition!

Rubbish

USA 2

ORANGES 1

9 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

*Ahem*

lol

Good call.

I did expect the USA to get past the Netherlands but not really further than that.

A big factor looked to be bad luck with near misses as they were dominant enough to win.

So I'm sad but recognize it was a big accomplishment even to make it to the knock out phase.

So my supporting energy will shift to Argentina and Brazil. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/3/2022 at 4:31 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Good prediction!

As for the American women's team, there was no need for them to go to the tournament. They just stayed home and are in line to collect half the $13 million the men's team will collect for making it to the Round of 16.  

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Good prediction!

As for the American women's team, there was no need for them to go to the tournament. They just stayed home and are in line to collect half the $13 million the men's team will collect for making it to the Round of 16.  

We seem to live in a very strange world now!

Edited by thaibeachlovers