OA extension

I wonder if anyone have got a suggestion on this one. My second OA extension on retirement basis is about to run out in a few days time. So today I've been to the immigration office and I got asked to produce much more paperwork than I was asked to show a year ago in a different province where I was living before. In the last 12 months I've been using the 65K baht a month method from my  investments in my home country which I call "private pension" but it's not quite it. The immigration office  in the province where I was living a year ago accepted my source of income as a "private pension" with no problem hence I got the extension. My question is, if tomorrow they will refuse my "private pension" as a prove of income, what are my options? I do have 800K baht in a different Thai account but it's only been there around 6 months and prior to that I had less than 400K baht in all Thai account put together for a few months. Do you think I can just do a straight forward switch from the 65K a month method onto the 800K matured in a Thai account even for 6 months only or anyone envisages a problem with that?  Thanks in advance.

Just back from immigration and they said they will not accept the 800K because it has to have been in the account the whole year. Meaning al least 400K in the account all the time and 800k 2 months before renewal and 3 months after renewal I guess I meant. So does anyone know if the O visa are still available and how to get one without getting out of Thailand? Or even going to a neighbouring country as it used to be in the old days? Otherwise any other option for a long term visa? My visa extension is running out in two days from now and I'll have to consider the few options I have left if they won't accept the paperwork in connection with my "private pension" Thanks.

That's my last option which I'll try to have passed tomorrow when I'll get the missing paperwork from the bank. As I said in my first message this immigration office is much more demanding on paperwork and when they'll thoroughly check my paperwork related to my "private pension" which is not really it's just income from property investment, they may say they won't accept it. So if that's the case better start now to check the options i might have left.
I know years ago people was able to get O visas in Bangkok but I can't remember what hoops they had to go through and maybe now it's not possible anymore. I've been out of the how-to-get-Thai-visas loop for several years and maybe I need a Thai visa expert to give me a run down of the options I have left right now should the 65K a month fail tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, John207 said:

That's my last option which I'll try to have passed tomorrow when I'll get the missing paperwork from the bank. As I said in my first message this immigration office is much more demanding on paperwork and when they'll thoroughly check my paperwork related to my "private pension" which is not really it's just income from property investment, they may say they won't accept it. So if that's the case better start now to check the options i might have left.

According to Immigration Bureau orders, 327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf Amend 138-2557 (2014 ) clause 2.18-2.22 for Thai bank income ENG.pdf 548-2562 (2019) change clause 2.22 327-2557 O-A Ins ENG-THAi.pdf section 2.22 (retirement), all stipulate the criteria using the monthly income method as 'Must have an evidence of having monthly income of no less than 65,000 baht'

Order 138-2557 (2014) Docs for extensions - ENG.pdf section 2.22, documents for extension states 'Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends'.
If they request proof of pension, I'd state your income is from 'interest' on your property investments.
If you have a problem with the IO request to see the senior IO to discuss your case.

Additionally, you're leaving it rather late to submit your extension application.

I assume you have the 3M mandatory Health Insurance in place for the extension from a Non O-A.

• Like 1

Hi Liquorice thanks a lot for all that research and interesting info! Tomorrow I'll try to spin it as best I can should they ask in depth questions. I've left it late because I've been waiting for an answer from the LTR visa people (BOI). Just over 30 working days ago I applied for a LTR visa that initially they said it would take 20 working days but it's still processing. I should've know better and I should have not left it this late. Lesson learnt.

Thanks for all the info and finger crossed for tomorrow! 

I’m not sure what country you are from but in the USA it’s simple to setup a shell company like a LLC online and business checking account. Transfer money from the business to Thailand every month and there’s your pension. It’s legit and not illegal.

• Haha 1

There is no general immigration requirement that your monthly income comes from a pension just that it is from overseas.

Different immigration offices may have their own requirements, it is sometimes possible to challenge them, they may require that it is pension income but that is unusual.

Different embassies and consulates have varying requirements such as requiring pension proof for a visa. 

You do not have a visa and a visa is NEVER extended, you have a permission to stay, that can be extended.

Immigration offices are under a completely different ministry than embassies and consulates so requirements can, understandable, be different.

@John207 you may need to use an agent as you have delayed so long and an agent is likely to be less expensive than a trip out of the country to get a visa. I almost never suggest or support using an agent but your case is one of the few situations where they are probably the best worst option.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 12/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, John207 said:

Thanks for all the info and finger crossed for tomorrow!

Since "tomorrow" has presumably now come and gone, how did things turn out with Immigration in the event?

Also, which particular office are we talking about in this instance?

• Like 2

Ever thought about killing the whole Non O-A status?

Doing border run and enter visa exempt.

Then Non-O three months and after that a one year extension.

That's what I and many others did. Details in other threads available.

Why don't you name the offices involved? Nothing to fear of. If it's that bad maybe a "temporary relocation" useful?

Edited by KhunBENQ

59 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

you may need to use an agent as you have delayed so long and an agent is likely to be less expensive than a trip out of the country to get a visa

Indeed. Another option. Talk to expert for difficult cases ????

They might convince immigration about your income.

I am also surprised that you don't mention health insurance. Done or not requested?

On 12/1/2022 at 4:13 AM, John207 said:

has to have been in the account the whole year.

I was under the impression it had to be in account for 3 Months Minimum?

Aside, my retirement visa is up on 3rd Feb, I would like to return home for new year and stay a few months. Question is, can I go late Dec and renew my retirement visa and wilL it be from when I renew it -late Dec-or can it be extended till 3 Fed 2024?

6 minutes ago, hackjam said:

I was under the impression it had to be in account for 3 Months Minimum?

Aside, my retirement visa is up on 3rd Feb, I would like to return home for new year and stay a few months. Question is, can I go late Dec and renew my retirement visa and wilL it be from when I renew it -late Dec-or can it be extended till 3 Fed 2024?

If it is the first extension of stay then has to be in the account for 2 months before applying (however, check your local immigration office, some mistakenly enforce 3 months).

If it is second or more extension of stay then 800k has to be in the account:

2 months before application for new extension
3 months after receiving new extension
over 400k minimum balance as long as you have the extension

The earliest immigration will allow a retirement extension of stay to be applied for is 45 days (although 30 days is more common, depends on local office).  If you are within those parameters you could apply before you leave.  Your extension of stay date would remain fixed, if you extend early you get one-year plus however many days early you apply. Remember you will need a re-entry permit.

• Like 1