Congressional Black Caucus members honor Rosa Parks on anniversary of arrest

Scott

image.png

Now, 67 years after her arrest, members of the Congressional Black Caucus are paying tribute to the woman who helped spark the Civil Rights Movement. 

“Today, we honor the legendary trailblazer, #RosaParks for her bravery to spark a movement that changed America for the better,” tweeted CBC Chairwoman Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio). “Her leadership has inspired me and so many Americans – and countless others around the world – all these years later.”

Rep. Troy Carter (D-La.) said Parks’ actions were a stance against white supremacy.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3758538-congressional-black-caucus-members-honor-rosa-parks-on-anniversary-of-arrest/

File:The Hill logo.jpeg - Wikimedia Commons

• Like 1

Meanwhile, very little has changed.

Republicans have long been accused of coded bigotry and nodding and winking to their base. There was an assumption of rules of political etiquette and taboos that could not be broken. Now, it seems, politics has entered a post-shame era where anything goes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/23/republican-party-hate-racism-antisemitism-trump

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Meanwhile, very little has changed.

Republicans have long been accused of coded bigotry and nodding and winking to their base. There was an assumption of rules of political etiquette and taboos that could not be broken. Now, it seems, politics has entered a post-shame era where anything goes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/23/republican-party-hate-racism-antisemitism-trump

Are you serious?!? "Very little has changed"?

America has had a black President、vice President, Supreme Court Justice,virtually every cabinet post…

Overt racsm is mocked and ridiculed, as it should be. Black Americans have every opportunity to succeed,just like everyone else. 

You are letting your irrational political fears cloud your judgement.

Edited by Hanaguma
  • Thanks 2

I'll wait until the 'Congressional White Caucus' chimes in ...

... oh wait, a 'White' caucus would be racist.

How about waiting for the NAAWP to chime in ...

... again, racist

Let's give Caucasians an extra 10 points on civil service test, or preferential admissions to universities ...

... again, that would be racist

It's 2022, stop celebrating and perpetuating division.  Drop the labels, then maybe we 'can just all get along' ????

Morgan's got it right, it's a good 'excuse', not a reason.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Well unfortunately if you dig a little deeper there was a pregnant 16 year old nine months earlier who did this  and perhaps wouldn't have had as much impact as Rosa was working with the NAACP as secretary at the time. 

Maybe there was, but it took Rosa Parks to grab the national headlines and accelerate the movement to change America for the better.

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Maybe there was, but it took Rosa Parks to grab the national headlines and accelerate the movement to change America for the better.

Well there was.  Maybe the original person is who should get the stature and credit. A natural warrior. This is the woke era of bold truth isn't it? 

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Well unfortunately if you dig a little deeper there was a pregnant 16 year old nine months earlier who did this  and perhaps wouldn't have had as much impact as Rosa was working with the NAACP as secretary at the time. 

Actually if you had dug a little deeper you'll discover that she became pregnant after the incident. And you seem remarkably unaware of what it meant at the time for an unmarried teenager to be pregnant. That would obviously have been used to slur her and the cause. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually if you had dug a little deeper you'll discover that she became pregnant after the incident. And you seem remarkably unaware of what it meant at the time for an unmarried teenager to be pregnant. That would obviously have been used to slur her and the cause. 

It seems like  you're calling Rosa a poster child. Strange. So if your story of the original girl is true then she WAS NOT pregnant so why would she not be the one with the credit for refusing her seat? #Claudettecolvin

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/claudette-colvin-record-expunged/#app

Edited by alex8912

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Well there was.  Maybe the original person is who should get the stature and credit. A natural warrior. This is the woke era of bold truth isn't it? 

All I care about is folk can sit wherever they wish when they ride the bus, provided they have a ticket.

Though I suspect this is the cause of the misdirected angst we are seeing in this thread.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

All I care about is folk can sit wherever they wish when they ride the bus, provided they have a ticket.

Though I suspect this is the cause of the misdirected angst we are seeing in this thread.

Deflect all you want. Big eye roll. 

Just now, alex8912 said:

It's incorrect history. Just stop it! 

Here's history for you..........

"Colvin knew her very well."

"I became very active in her youth group and we use to meet every Sunday afternoon at the Luther church," she says.

"Ms Parks was quiet and very gentle and very soft-spoken, but she would always say we should fight for our freedom."

Colvin says Parks had the right image to become the face of resistance to segregation because of her previous work with the NAACP

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-43171799

• Thanks 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

This sends a message to the Black community that its perfectly acceptable and encouraged to break rules and laws .

People may feel that its an injustice that they don't have the latest technology like telephone or television and  break the law by going and taking it , like Rosa broke the law and got what she wanted and so why shouldn't I do likewise , saying that , I do agree that Black people should be allowed to sit on the backs of buses , actually, they should be allowed to sit anywhere they like and I agree with that 

Utter hogwash.

Get thee within that unitary circle Venn Diagram.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Rosa broke the law and got what she wanted and so why shouldn't I do likewise , saying that , I do agree that Black people should be allowed to sit on the backs of buses , actually, they should be allowed to sit anywhere they like and I agree with that 

Well I'm sure that means the world to the Black community!????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

It seems like  you're calling Rosa a poster child. Strange. So if your story of the original girl is true then she WAS NOT pregnant so why would she not be the one with the credit for refusing her seat? #Claudettecolvin

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/claudette-colvin-record-expunged/#app

Maybe because she was 15 years old at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

It's worse than that. Slaves who ran away from their masters were also breaking the law. And thereby encouraging other slaves to do the same. That is so wrong!

That would depend on each individual case . 

If they left because of poor conditions , I could understand that .

But if they left to get a better position in a different company then they should arrange the transfer by other means  rather than just going AWOL

• Haha 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

But if they left to get a better position in a different company then they should arrange the transfer by other means  rather than just going AWOL

I just saw a comedy sketch from With Bob & David about someone who does a documentary on slavery except he refuses to use the word "slaves". He calls them "helpers".  I got a feeling that you would view such a documentary as an earnest attempt to faithfully document slav....helperism.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You do understand the term ‘Slave’ don’t you?